Good Eateries in Calgary

I live in Edmonton and will be going to spend a couple dayes in Banff and Jasper in a couple of weeks. Today at work I found myself think 14 dayes until Peter’s Drive-in.

Double Cheese Burger, onion rings and a Butterscotch Milkshake. Exuse me while I clean the drowl off of my keyboard.

Peter’s is one of those places you love or you hate. I’m firmly in the LOVE.

I’d like to add my vote for Mango Shiva for artsy Indian food. Quite noisy, though.

For those of you who frequent Puspa, there is a new food joint next to it (called Fusion, I believe) that has frozen food that you take home (again, I believe - I just read the signs as I drive by every day). Has anyone tried it yet?

Ooo - let me add Blue House for fab South American cuisine - it’s GREAT!

Ginger - have you been to the NEW Ikea? It’s quite fab (and HUGE!)

Anyhow - if I’m in town when you are, I’d love to hook up for some prawns (and some Ikea too!)

South American cuisine? That sounds fascinating. What would a sample dish be from there?

If it’s the same as around here, it’s usually heavy on the meat, monstrous-skewer-style. Great, though.

Nope - almost exclusively seafood.

Their paella is fabulous, crab to die for, seafood gumbo, etc, etc. Chilian sea bass, scrod, that sort of thing.

Yummy! And they have great live music (that’s not too loud) most nights.

I’m going to be back in Calgary in late July if anybody wants to go out for dinner.

I should also be in Alberta in late July.

It sounds like late July Calgary Dopefest.

Dude, I know someone who, as a teenager, drove all the way from Edmonton to Calgary with his friends, JUST to get a Peters’ Drive-in meal. Moral: if you want a burger, you just gotta go for it.

As an aside, I’ve been resisting the urge to toss Peters’ into this thread for days now- I’m glad someone finally did.

I hope it’s not too late (and not too impolite) to sorta hijack this thread to ask a question.

I lived in Calgary for almost a decade - from the mid 80’s to the mid 90’s. Around 1990 or so, I ate several times at a wonderful little restaurant called something like “Mensa”, “Menta”, or “Mesna” etc. Many of the dishes served there consisted of various meats accompanied by fruits (eg. chicken with mango, beef with orange, etc.). I enjoyed every meal I had there and made a point of recommending it to friends and colleagues. Terrific, interesting dishes, inexpensive, friendly service, contemporary decor. It may have been located on 11th Avenue S.W., but there’s a good chance I’m mistaken about that.

Does this seem at all familiar? And, do you know the actual name of this gastronomic oasis which, sadly, I think went out of business around 1994-ish.

Thanks.

Sorry, KG. Not ringing any bells.

I’ll ask my husband, who is one of the few, the proud, the Calgary-born.

How late in July will you folks be here, exactly?

Yeah - I’d love to see everyone again - and meet others :slight_smile:

How about Mescalero? Is it still around and still any good?

It’s around. It’s good. HOW LATE IN AUGUST?!?!?! I wanna come this time and I’m out of town until the 29th. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - I never get to go to the DopeFests - WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

<gasp, gasp>

Uh, make that how late in July.

Don’t cha hate it when you throw a hissy-fit and get the dates wrong?