Good songs, with annoying parts

What are some otherwise good songs with parts you’d just love to cut out or modify? Here are a couple examples:

Luxurious by Gwen Stefani - Ok it’s the same music as Between the Sheets by The Isley Brothers, which is a good thing. Different lyrics though, the stupid part where they say “cha-chiiiiing, cha-CHIIIIIIING” in the middle really gets to me for some reason.

Darlene by Led Zeppelin - Decent enough song, but I hate the way Robert Plant says Darlene, it’s more like “Dahr-A-leen.”

I think John Mayer’s “No Such Thing” would be listenable if not for the lame “I am invincible” bridge.

**Paradise by the Dashboard Light[/]–The middle part

Gloria by Patti Smith. She sings G-L-O-O-I-A

Time of the season by zombies. Excellent song, but I don’t like that “ah” thing.

Pretty much every good song with talk in it.

Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing in the Name Of” would be perhaps the finest angst/revolution song ever written, if not for a hideous screechy synthesizer solo in the middle that makes it nearly unlistenable and destroys the cohesiveness of the rest of the song.

Marvin Gaye’s song “Mr. Sandman” would be a much better song if not for the background vocals. And even with the background vocals, it wouldn’t have been so bad if they didn’t take lead for a verse.

It’s actually a guitar, not a synth - in Rage and Audioslave, Tom Morello has always prided himself on making the annoying noises himself. :wink:

No Phil Risutto (sp?)? Aw, you’re no fun.

My vote is for Liz Phair’s “Strange Loop” from her first album. It’s great until all the cacophony at the end. It could have skipped straight to the last ten or fifteen seconds of the song and been so much stronger.

I’m trying to resist posting grammar errors as I don’t think that’s what you’re after!

I nominate the teeth-gritting repetition of the phrase “How long,” with extended intervals of keyboard noodling, in “Point of Know Return,” by Kansas.

I happen to love Kansas. I’ve been to several of their concerts, and I own most of their albums. But this particular segment makes me want to holler “Enough with the pretentious keyboard stuff, already.”

I love the first three-and-a-half or so minutes of Sonic Youth’s “Mote.” The subsequent four minutes of racket strikes me as pointless.

I don’t – Christopher Walken be damned – like the cowbell in Juliana Hatfield’s “Everybody Loves Me But You.”

I am probably alone, but I think the rapping in “Rapture” by Blondie kind of ruins what is otherwise a pretty good song (after all, how many songs can work in the word ‘sacrailiac’?)

I think you’re thinking of Grandmaster Flash’s “The Message.”

Yeah, RATM is all real guitar as far as I know. It took me a long time to get used to those screechy guitar parts, but I did. They were almost embarrasing to listen to.

And yeah, it’s now in Audioslave to a lesser degree. But Audioslave only rocks half as much as RATM.

Nope, that would be a looong thread. There would be a lot to pick on and I won’t even give an example.

Another song that came to mind as annoying is Photograph by Nickelback. It’s a crappy sappy song but the worst part is the first verse; “How did our eyes get so red, and what the hell is on Joey’s head.” That sounds like something I would have written in 4th grade while trying to be cute and clever. I cringe at the stupidity of that line every time that song plays.

The first 45 seconds of “Get it Faster” by Jimmy Eats World keep it from being a perfect song. yes, I know there’s another 20 seconds before the lyrics after that.

The point where Brendan Benson’s voice goes inexplicably higher towards the middle of “Emma J” also disqualifes a song from perfect status.

“Breathe deep the gathering gloom,
Watch lights fade from every room…”
:rolleyes:

You are not alone.

Not only does it ruin the song, it means we have to hear about how Blondie invented rap.

Lots of stuff by **Alice in Chains ** - they seemed to deliberately sabotage the commerciality of their music by inserting tough bits in their songs.

The first one that comes to mind is Swing on This off the eponymous EP Alice in Chains. Great swing groove that they slam into a herky-jerky chorus. Same with one of the hits - Heaven Beside You. Great main riff, wish they had grooved it into the chorus.

On a completely different note, I will reference **Split Enz’ song I Got You ** - great song, with a herky-jerky lead synth bit in the middle. sigh

Blue Swede’s cover of Hooked On A Feeling isn’t bad. I quite like it. Except for the HOOGA-SHAKA, HOOGA-SHAKA, HOOGA-HOOGA-HOOGA-SHAKA…

:confused: Guh? :confused: