Grab the book nearest you. Right now.

• Turn to page 111.
  • Find the eleventh complete sentence.
  • Post that sentence, and identify the book.
  • Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST book.

I saw this over at Goodreads, and it looked like fun, though I’m not sure it qualifies as a game. Anyway…

“Five-three, she was.” *
Kindred, by Octavia Butler

*Wow, that really sucked! :smiley:

For every legal input, the calculator always uses one number in the computation before reading another from input.

The C++ Programming Language, Bjarne Stroustrup

*Wow, that sucked even harder. Looks like a bad game to play while at work.

“At present a satisfactory purely theoretical treatment of turbulence does not exist; nor is there a very bright prospect of one coming into being.”

Mechanics and Thermodynamics of Propulsion, by Phillip Hill

I should try again when I get home.

‘He had steeled himself just a little for the Jump through hyper-space, a phenomenon one did not experience in simple interplanetary trips.’

Isaac Asimov’s Foundation.

“To put this more bluntly, the design of the UI system sacrificed the well-being of women on the altar of capitalist labour markets.” - If You’re In My Way, I’m Walking

I had left it out after using it kill a beetle in my apartment.

Uh, page 111 of the book closest to me is the right half of a map of central Dublin. The eleventh square on the page contains the National Gallery, National Library, and National Museum, among a few other things.

I’ll try again with something off the bookshelf…

“Its coefficients can be written down at once, since they are the same as the coefficients of p except in the reverse order.”

Numerical Analysis: The Mathematics of Scientific Computing
Kincaid and Cheney

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

Ah, here we go:

“This seemingly random, willi-nilly style is all part of the mysterious creative process—aprocess that anyone can enjoy.”

A rather nice sentence from The Imagineering Way: Ideas to Ignite Your Creativity, by The Imagineers.

Maximum pressure is 160 psi @73 deg F.

McMaster Carr catalogue.

“I sit down on the broken old La-Z-Boy and Clare squeezes in beside me.”

The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.

Closest to the desk since my husband left it there. I’m waiting anxiously for him to finish reading it so we can watch the movie together and (most likely) rip it to shreds for not being half as good as the book.

“Certain rules remain unchallenged.”
The Time Traveler’s Guide to Medieval England
by Ian Mortimer.

Sentence 12 is more interesting “Women may not expose their arms or legs without being deemed to have acted lewdly.”

These rights (discussed in 4.60) usually involve exploiting markets in which the publishing house is not active.

The Chicago Manual of Style, Fifteenth Edition

The closest book doesn’t have a page 111, so I just looped around until I got what would be page 111. That page doesn’t have an 11th sentence, so I looped around again, until I got:

“I want to play with you.”

I Love My New Toy by Mo Willems.

“Windows 98 comes with a special program that keeps track of all the open programs.”

Windows 98 for Dummies. Closest because I don’t keep “real” books in the room where the computer’s located. I was gonna go upstairs and grab Horns but I figured that’d be cheating. :slight_smile:

“Given the semantics of try/except, raising a custom exception class such as InvalidAttribute is almost the same as raising its standard exception superclass, AttributeError.”

From Python in a Nutshell.

Sorry, folks.

“Bradman observed modern players who were coached to keep an open face and play everything square on, which seemed to restrict the capability to follow through over the ball.”

Bradman’s Best
(Sir Donald Bradman’s selection of the best team in cricket history)
Roland Perry, Random House 2001

“If carbon deposits or cylinder wear have produced ridges, they must be completely removed with a special tool (see illustration).”

Haynes Repair Manual for Honda Civic & CRV, Acura Integra

Chapter 2, Part C: General engine overhaul procedures

“From age 3 to age 10, two-thirds of children’s IQ scores will improve, or drop, more than 15 points.”

Nurtureshock, by Po Bronson & Ashley Merryman

" ‘So hideous, if you didn’t know he was friendly you might be frightened of him - a huge, gaping mouth, staring eyes, a pointed nose.’ "

*Arms of Nemesis *- Steven Saylor

Was reading it for the third time during lunch today.

Instead of a varied, magazine format, each episode follows a single story line - the exploits of an animated dog by the name of Blue.

The Tipping Point
Malcolm Gladwell