[QUOTE=meek]
Yet another fantastic OP Scylla.
I can relate.
I still remember the last time I visited my G-Pa at the home.
He knew me instantly, and his face brightened when I walked in the door.
Then he started to cry.
I asked him what was wrong, and he said that he couldn’t remember my name, and it hurt him incredibly.
G-Pa had always said he was fine with getting old, as long as he still had all his “marbles”.
He passed away three days later.
Thanks for sharing your story.
.
[/QUOTE]
Scylla’s post was beautiful, but this… this made me cry.
I didn’t know my maternal grandfather really well, since he was in a nursing home my whole life until he died when I was about 16. He had suffered multiple strokes and couldn’t feed or dress or take care of himself at all. He did always know who we were, though, when we went to visit. I was a little scared of him, I think, but now that he’s gone and I read threads like this, I wish I hadn’t had been scared, and that I knew him better. It was so sad… he was a tall man, reduced in size in his wheel chair, long legs and arms from such a frail body. A smart man; a judge at the provincial level, served in the Canadian army during WWII (though non-fighting). Down to nothing.
My maternal grandmother is somewhat senile, and has trouble with short-term memory loss, but it isn’t Alzheimer’s and since she stopped drinking about 7 years ago, the progression of her senility has slowed considerably. A lot of the memory damage was caused by the alcohol. She remembers a lot though, and while she couldn’t tell you what she had for lunch (or even if she ate lunch) she’ll remember the important things, like my wedding day, and when my sister broke up with her ex, etc. Things that affected her emotionally will stick. She isn’t very ambulatory, due to two hip replacements, and then surgery to remove one since it became damaged, but she is in a home where she basically has an apartment and has someone come by a couple times a day to change sheets, give her her meds, etc. My parents live 2 minutes away, so they do groceries and laundry and handle her bills. My mom finds it tiring, but is very very grateful that she is still as independent as she is.
My paternal grandparents are both dead… Nana from cancer when I was about five, and my grandfather from a brain hemorrage when my dad was 12.
My other “grandfather” is my grandmother’s husband… 92, pack a day smoker, deaf as a doorknob, but otherwise healthy as a horse. Unfortunately for me, I don’t share his genes.