Gravlax: Part 2

In this thread I asked for advice for my first attempt at making gravlax. By way of recapitulation, this is what I ended up doing:

Gravlax and Hovmästarsås

Gravlax
[ul][li]6 tbsp brown sugar[/li][li]4 tbsp kosher salt[/li][li]1 bunch fresh dill[/li][li]1 lb salmon filet[/ul][/li]
Use two similarly-sized salmon filets, or cut one larger filet in half. Combine the sugar and salt, and completely cover flesh-side of the filets. Top with fresh dill. Put one filet on top of the other, skin-sides out. Wrap tightly in cling film. Put the ‘salmon sandwich’ into a baking pan and top with a weight. (I use a bacon press with a small, wrapped, anvil in it.) Put into the coldest part of the refrigerator for three days, turning every 12 hours. When cured, rinse the filets and slice on the bias.

Hovmästarsås
[ul][li]¼ cup Dijon mustard[/li][li]½ cup vegetable oil[/li][li]1 tbsp red wine vinegar[/li][li]1 tbsp sugar[/li][li]Pinch each of salt and pepper[/li][li]3 tbsp fresh dill, finely-chopped[/ul][/li]
Mix the mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper together well in a medium-sized bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil. Stir in the chopped dill, adjust seasoning and serve chilled.

Smörgåsar
Serve gravlax and hovmästarsås on a smörgås. Smörgåsar are open-faced sandwiches. Spread butter on rye bread. Top with Spring greens, gravlax, and hovmästarsås. Garnish with finely-chopped dill and thinly-sliced lemon. Eat with a knife and fork.

OK, now for the ‘Part 2’ part.

My second batch was a double batch, and I put half of it in the freezer for over two months). I didn’t unwrap it or anything. This morning I took it out to thaw, and I sliced it up a few minutes ago. Of course I had to sample it while I was in the process. :smiley: It was more salty than the half I didn’t freeze; more salty than I’d like, but not so much as to ruin it. Anyway, it will be attenuated by the bread and the salad and the hovmästarsås. I think that I will increase the sugar ratio if I’m going to freeze it next time. But again, it’s fine as it is. It was still very cold when I sliced it, which made slicing it easier than when it just comes out of the fridge.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take the butter out of the fridge. So I’ll have to wait a bit before I can have my smörgås.