Salmon recipes

Rather than hijack Chefguy’s salmon taco thread, in which his recipes reminded me of one of mine, I thought I’d start this one.

Chefguy is making chipotle salmon tacos. Here’s a recipe for chipotle salmon:

One or two 8oz. salmon fillets
Sour cream
Small can of chipotle chilis
Fresh mushrooms, sliced

Put the salmon skin-side down on a piece of aluminum foil. Mix the sour cream and chilis to taste. Put the mushrooms on the salmon and cover with the sour cream and chili mixture. Seal the foil and bake in the oven until it’s done. Serve with refried beans, Spanish rice and steamed squash.

I just made these up last week out of shit I had hanging around the house. Turned out very nice.

Miso-Soy Salmon Kebabs

Salmon fillet, deskinned, cut into cubes

Soy Sauce

Miso sauce in a bottle (I got it in Japantown next to the dashi stock, it’s non-refrigerated)

Mirin or Rice Vinegar

Togarashi or Cayenne (optional…I just dumped in a hell of a lot of togarashi I had sitting around)

Marinate salmon in soy sauce, miso sauce and a splash of mirin. I don’t really do measurements so I think it was probably a tablespoon of soy, a teaspoon of mirin and enough miso to coat (I tend to cube a lot of meat at once, divvy it up into portions and then dump each portion in a plastic bag with the marinating spices…then I just feed off my plastic bags for 5 to 6 days, which is about as long as I’m comfortable refrigerating, as opposed to freezing). Marinate at least for an hour (though mine had been in the fridge overnight).

Heat oven to 500 degrees.

Stick meat on skewers, seperating with vegetable or fruit chunks if you like (I have a seperate skewer for my veggies but I think pineapple would go nicely with this dish).

Stick in oven for 2 to 3 minutes.

During those minutes, mix together miso sauce, soy sauce, mirin and some sugar in a little dish, and swirl with one stubby forefinger to mix and dissolve sugar.

Raise heat to “Broil” setting, open oven and spoon sauce over the salmon kebabs.

Keep spooning at regular intervals till the fish is done (seemed like it happend pretty quick and I spooned 3 times every 3 or 4 minutes) to glaze on a tasty miso sauce. Cooking time will likely depend on thickness of chunks.

You could probably also make this vegetarian by subbing firm tofu for the salmon.

You know, I likes me some salmon. I try to get wild-caught because it tastes better than farmed. But Trader Joe’s has farmed Norwegian salmon fillets that I like. I salt them and broil them and sqeeze lemon on them when they’re done. Very tasty, and simple.

Old thread, but why start a new one?

I’m watching Glutton For Punishment, and they’re at Pike Place Fish Market. Mmm… Salmon!

One local chef says the best way to cook salmon is to steam it. They do for a taste comparison of different types of salmon. Another chef does a salmon tournado filled with basil, chopped chives and some dill that’s poached for six minutes in a half-cup of water blended with butter.

So there’s the chiptloe salmon, Miso-Soy Salmon Kebabs and broiled salmon from last year. There’s steamed salmon with nothing on it. There are the tournadoes. Another recipe I like is a nice fillet baked with Soy Vey Very Very Teriyaki sauce. I don’t have a smoker, so I can’t make alder planked salmon.

So what have you got?

My fav salmon is done on a cast-iron skillet. It crisps the outside so you get crispy salmon goodness.

Just dry the salmon well with paper towels, add some salt & pepper.

Add a bit of vegetable oil to a cast iron skillet and heat on medium-high to high for about 3 min, until the oil is hot but not smoking. Add the salmon, cook on one side for ~4-6 minutes until the bottom is crunchy and it’s cooked about halfway through. Flip over and cook until done.

The salmon should easily be lifted from the pan when you flip it. If it’s sticking to the pan, it’s not done - leave it there a while longer.

You can serve it with a little lemon and maybe some fresh dill, or if you want to get really ethereally good, you can make a beurre blanc sauce, which sounds hard, but it’s really very easy.

Beurre Blanc:

1 shallot, diced fine
3/4 cup of acid - I tend to use a mix of white wine vinegar, white wine, and lemon juice but just about anything vinegar-y works. I’ve done it with a mix of blood orange juice and vinegar and it’s gorgeous.
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks of about 1 T. each, cold

Put the shallots in a small sauce pan and add the acid. Cook, stirring every once in a while, until the liquid is just about gone. The shallots should be like wet sand, not really any free-running liquid in the pan.

Over medium heat, start adding the butter, one chunk at a time. Whisk continuously. It will emulsify (that is, thicken and turn opaque). When one chunk is almost completely melted, add the next chunk. Keep doing that until all the chunks are gone.

The only real trick here is that you need to keep the butter moving and the temperature constant. Otherwise the sauce will break. It sounds a LOT harder than it really is.

Once all the butter is in, remove from heat, add whatever seasonings you want (salt, pepper, dill, basil… anything really). Pour over salmon. Die and go to heaven.

Kick ass salmon? I got your kick ass salmon right here.
You need a grill (gas or charcoal, makes no difference)
A cedar plank big enough to hold your salmon fillet. If the Home Depot in your area sells Cedar Fencing, buy a fence board from them for abut 3 bucks. This is enough to cook about three fillets.
A salmon fillet
Cajun spices (Paul Purdhomme’s Cajun Magic works, I use beef magic as it is a bit stronger)
maple syrup

Cut the board to fit both the fish and the grill.
Go soak it in water for at least 1 hour. weight it down to keep it submerged.
Start grill and allow to warm.
Place fish skin side down on the plank.
Season with the Cajun spices
Drizzle maple syrup on fish and spread.
Add more Cajun spices if it looks like you have any bare spots.
Sprinkle lightly with salt
Place on medium to medium hot grill until done say 15-20 minutes
Warning: When you pull the plank off of the grill, make sure you put it down on something that is both heat proof and fireproof. The bottom of the plank will be glowing red coals.
Enjoy.

Most of the time we eat salmon grilled, steamed or lightly poached. Hubby loves it just on its own, so I oblige him.

But sometimes I get a sub-par piece of salmon. This is usually a piece that’s been frozen and allowed to defrost and has gone kind of mushy (but not bad).

Then it’s time for salmon fishy pie.

We dice the salmon into rough chunks and put it in an oven dish. Then a white sauce is made with a flour/butter roux and milk. When thick, about half a block of tasty cheese is grated in. Hot sauce goes over the salmon, then mashed potato is scooped over the top and dotted with butter. Into a hot oven until the top is crunchy and some cheesy juices are bubbling at the sides.

The salmon is cooked perfectly, in the cheese sauce & the potato on top is lovely and hot and crunchy. Love it.

If you’re buying farmed salmon, and you have a chance to examine the whole fish (or are buying it as a whole fish), pay particular attention to the fins. Badly-kept salmon will often have frayed or damaged fins - largely because of overcrowding in the pens - if a fish farmer cares enough about his fish to keep them in uncrowded pens, then it’s a fair bet he’ll be doing other things right too.

My own concoction:

Mix honey and lemon juice 50:50. Put salmon fillets into greased pan. Cover salmon with honey lemon. Liberally cover this with grated parmesian cheese. Bake at the standard temperature.

I hate the stuff, but Mrs. Plant likes it. My best so far has been Wildoats “all natural seafood spice rub”. I bury my portion in this herb/citrus stuff, lightly dust her’s and cook on our little electric grill. An orange sauce suggested by another Doper did well, too. Flour, butter and orange juice as I recall. I shall try Athena’s next. :slight_smile:

Tablespoon of honey and tablespoon of dijon mustard mixed up. Spread over top of salmon. Broil until the honey mustard is brown and salmon is done. yummmmmm

Poach it in olive oil.

Get a big bottle of the cheap stuff (no need for extra-virgin here). Pour it into a wide, deep vessel (a Le Creuset casserole works well), attach a candy/frying thermometer, and heat the oil to 150F. Set heat to very low to maintain this temp.

Toss in a generous handful of roughly chopped aromatics. (I like leeks, but shallots or sweet onions will also work.) Cook them confit for 30 minutes. Add several sprigs of dill or your preferred herb and cook another 30 minutes. Monitor the temperature carefully.

With a spider or skimmer, remove the solids from the oil. Then add the salmon. Note that the temperature will drop a bit; you might have to nudge the heat up a bit to get the temp back to 150F, but be very careful, because you’re poaching low and slow, not frying.

Depending on the thickness of the fish, leave it to poach in the aromatic-and-herb-scented oil for 12 to 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, make your side dish. The simplest is potatoes, fried in the same scented oil (just scoop a couple of tablespoons out of the poaching vessel into your skillet), though any compatible vegetable could be similarly treated.

Also, make a topping for the salmon. I’ve tried a bunch of different things, and at the moment I’d recommend guacamole or a chimichurri, either of which can be infused with the essence of the poached aromatics and herbs removed from the oil (put them in your food processor, reduce to thin slurry, then push through strainer to get the flavorful liquid).

Remove the salmon from the oil with the longest, widest spatula you’ve got, because it will be butter-tender and very flaky. Allow oil to drip, then remove to serving platter and blot with paper towel. Dust very lightly with salt and pepper, divide into portions, and serve immediately.

Evidence indicates I cut this out of some magazine some ages ago. Sorry I can’t say which one. No matter what I think of doing with a salmon fillet, I usually end up doing this.

Baked Almond with Mustard-Crumb Crust

2 Tb + 1 tsp white vinegar
2Tb Sugar
2 Tb Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 c. vegetable oil

Salmon fillets
dried thyme
fresh French breadcrumbs

Place vinegar, sugar and both mustards in blender. With machine running, slowly pour in oil and blend till medium thick sauce forms.

Preheat oven to 375 deg F.
Lightly grease baking dish.
Arrange 4 ~6 oz salmon fillets in dish, skin side down.
Season with dried thyme, salt and pepper.
Spread 1 Tb mustard sauce over each fillet, covering completely.
Press breadcrumbs onto fish.

Bake until cooked through and crumb topping is golden brown 18-20 min.
Serve with remaining sauce.

Salmon Cakes:

Saute enough salmon to make four cups of flaked fish.
4 eggs, beaten
1 Cup Crushed saltine crackers
1 tsp Hot paprika
2 Tbsp Dried thyme leaves
1 Bunch green onions, finely chopped
1 tsp Salt

Panko bread crumbs (optional)

Toss all ingredients together until well mixed. Form into patties about 3" across and 3/4"-1" thick. I’ve flattened the whole bowlful on a board and used a biscuit cutter for this. Saute the patties in a bit of butter until browned and hot through. These are delicate, so use care when turning in the pan. My wife prefers to have these rolled in an egg wash and then in Panko, then fried, which is also very good. I’ve made these with lemon grass, as well.

Variation, from Cook’s Illustrated / America’s Test Kitchen: Use crushed potato chips instead of bread crumbs.

Follow the recipe in SparrowHawk’s post, except skip the thyme and salt. If you use salt-and-vinegar chips, skip the vinegar also. Crush the chips, not quite to dust, but no pieces larger than a quarter the size of your pinky nail. (This is a good use for the thin Lay’s style chips; thick kettle chips don’t work as well.)

Also, don’t add the potato chips at the point the bread crumbs are called for. Bake the salmon after slathering it with the mustard mix; if you bake with the potato chips from the beginning, they’ll burn. Instead, cook for 12-15 minutes, then remove from oven, press crumbled potato chip into mustard topping, and bake another 1-2 minutes, watching closely as the crushed chips turn golden.

Serve hot.

I was looking around one day for something to crust my salmon fillets with but the same old stuff was boring me. I opened a cabinet and saw a can of wasabi peas looking at me. Hmmm. Awesome.

A pub around here makes their fish and chips with smoked salmon - also awesome.

I’ll have to try that. I’ll also have to try to type Salmon instead of Almond. :smack:

Hmmmmmm.

::slinks off drooling and opening many cabinets::

I’ve made a fantastic crust for halibut out of crushed wasabi peas. Highly recommended.

A waste of wasabi peas IMHO, but at least I wouldn’t be able to taste the fish. :slight_smile: