Great mountain vacations in the Northeast?

We’re planning our vacation right now. We went to the shore last year and would like to visit the mountains this year.

I live in the New York City suburbs of New Jersey and I would prefer our location to be no more than five hours away by car. We would also like to get away with under $1,000 a week for any accomodations.

(Actually I’d rather go to Italy and Greece but the high Euro and our need for new living room furniture put the kibosh on that particular dream.)

Right now I am thinking the Poconos or perhaps somewhere in New Hampshire. Ideally we’d like to be on or very nearby a lake.

Any suggestions are most appreciated.

I asked this question last year and consequently had a very fine vacation in Cape May and Wildwood.

Sound like you’d do well with a trip to the Poconos, probably in the Lake Wallenpaupack area. (Warning – link is a PDF file)

We go up there at least 2 or 3 times a year…beautiful area. It’s well within your five-hour drive limit, and you should not have any problem staying within your budget.

I live in the Adirondacks. It’s really very beautiful here. We’re about 4 hours from NYC.

There are unlimited recreational activites, especially this time of year.

Here’s a link to a website that might help you.

Well, stretching your 5 hour limit to 6 or 7 would put you in the band of mountains from the Adirondacks in NY, to the Greens in Vermont, to the Whites in New Hampshire.

There are the Catskills within 5 hours, but besides the huge NYC reservoirs there aren’t many large lakes. There are beautiful rivers and streams though, and a lot of people go fly fishing, kayaking, tubing, canoeing, hiking, biking, and so on. Or they just park themselves on a flat rock and roll over into the creek when the need arises. There’s a YMCA camp, too, if that’s your thing.

What activities are you interested in?

I wanted to give you a link for Lake George as well.

Lake George is at the Southern end of Adirondack Park, 32 miles long, 3 miles wide and so clean that it provides drinking water for the residents along the lake.

Nicknamed “The Queen of American Lakes”, it’s so incredibly beautiful that even after living here my whole life, it can still bring tears to my eyes. :slight_smile:

Honey, I’m going to the Adirondacks on Saturday (to Indian Lake). I’ve never been there before. Are there any things down there that you’d consider “must see/do”? Any suggestions are welcome (along withapproximate prices if possible), as I’m going with a group of people with varied interests. We also have cars, so distance isn’t a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Omega Glory, if you’re going to Indian Lake I assume you’ll be coming North on I-87 (The Northway). Getting off at Exit 21 will take you right into Lake George Village. The Village in itself is not a must-see, but the Lake is. If you have time to take a bit of a side trip, follow Route 9N up the West side of Lake. You’ll be rewarded by the gorgeous views. Here’s a map. Depending on how far up the Lake you want to travel, it can take 1 or 2 hours.

You could tour Fort William Henry at the Southernmost point of the Lake or Fort Ticonderoga at the Northernmost point.

Here’s another map that’ll take you from Lake George to Indian Lake.

This is God’s country, you’ll love it up here. Don’t forget your insect repellent! :wink:

We spend time in the Adirondacks each year.

Lake George (at least the village) is fun in a tacky Atlantic City Boardwalk way. Very built up, but some nice resorts on the lake and plenty to do.

However, if you want something calmer, you might enjoy Bolton Landing (and they could use some visitors these days) on Lake George. I often stay at Schroon Lake, which isn’t luxurious, but peaceful.

Lake Placid and Saranac Lake are also very good.

I would personally like to sit on a lake and read and then take a swim and then read and swim some more.

My husband would probably prefer something a bit more active like hiking or a water park.

We have a toddler so anything age appropriate for her is also nice.

Thanks for the links everyone. :slight_smile: