Great songs in bad commercials

Hey, I’m compiling a list of great songs found in TV commercials. Stuff like the Smiths’ “How Soon is Now” in the Nissan ad or Nick Drake’s “Pink Moon” in the Volkswagon ad. I’ve heard the the Gap uses all sorts of good songs, but, well, no cable TV effectively means no TV. Any helps?

“Bohemian Rhapsody” in the Moutain Dew commercial: “I see a little silouetto of a can…” Shoot me.

“We Will Rock You” in the Taco Bell commercial. Right through the head. Shoot me right in the head.

But We Will Rock You and…<shudder> Bohemian Rhapsody sucked before they were in those commercials. Alright. :d&r:

I heard that Start Me Up was used in a Microsoft commercial. MICROSOFT. (Or some computer…I don’t care.) I never saw it but its a good song and most commercials suck…ergo…

The Gap one, with the Mellow Yellow song by…Donovan? That’s a good song but irritating as hell commercial.

Oh! The Who’s Baba O Riley in that car commercial. Horrible horrible. :frowning:

They used the Buzzcocks’ “What Do I get?” in some kind of car commercial, too. I nearly puked.

Toyota is currently butchering Jorgen Ingman’s “Apache” in some of their commercials.

Paul Simon said that he turned down an offer from Midas Muffler for “The Sounds Of Silence”

Lust for Life Iggy Pop, is used in a car commercial. They edit out the booze, drugs, and sex references.

What pan-african world beat band does that “Zoomzoomzoom” song? Hate the commercials, love the song.

I have to think that the most egregious misuse of a song in a commericial is Janis Joplin’s “Oh Lord won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz” in a Mercedes commercial.

If the irony weren’t so damn funny, Janis would be spinning in her grave. Each time I saw the commercial, I didn’t know whether to laugh or puke. I can just imagine the one poor non-clueless person in the ad agency screaming, clawing, and pleading to try to make the ad executives understand what the song is about.

The two I can think of right now are:

Judas Priest’s You’ve got another thing Comming for Burger King. ugh

and Ozzy’s Crazy Train was done for some car ad. I think it was some sort of minivan ad but don’t know for sure.

Check http://www.adcritic.com for ads with music, they usually give a music credit.

“Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes” by David Bowie in the Novell commercial.
I hate it because it’s a good song and now I think of Novell when I hear it. I guess that’s why they did it, but I still don’t like it.

I was amazed and disgusted to hear the VooDoo Glow Skulls “Left For Dead” on a Taco Bell commercial…I thought they’d be the last group to sell out!

Didn’t I hear a Breeders’ song in a car commercial the other day (Cannonball, maybe)?

The Gap used Low’s version of “Little Drummer Boy” in one of their Christmas commercials. Gap also used Dwight Yoakam’s “Little Thing Called Love”. Stupid line dancing fools. When Dwight played it at his concert all I could see was “Everybody in Denim” flash across his forehead.

That “Woo-hoo!” song by Blur in the car commercial.
Also, “I Free Free” by Cream, in another car commercial.
I’m really waiting for “Magic Carpet Ride” by Steppenwolf to appear in a car commercial. Doesn’t it seem kinda appropriate?

Eric Clapton’s “After Midnight” for Michelob. I think he even appeared in the commercial.

For some reason I think the Beatles’ “Revolution” was used for a scooter of some type. Does anyone else remember this one?

Yea. Nissan, I think. But it’s definately Cannonball. feh.

What’s with cover of Beatles’ songs in commercials? The candiate for lt. gov. here in Vermont used “Hey, Bulldog!” in his commercials. I voted for him, but I still think it was tacky.

There was a crappy technopop cover of it in a Dodge Viper commercial.

“Revolution” was used in a Nike ad. Lou Reed was a pitchman for scooters (Honda, I think) in the 80s.

In another egregious travesty; Iggy Pop’s Passenger is used in a car commercial. Iggy Pop kicks ass. Hearing that song and Lust for Life beat into the ground does not kick ass.

There’s a commercial (I think iMac or something) that had Dylan’s Forever Young that was actually nicely done.