Greatest sportscasting phrases ("Down goes Frazier!")

There’s a thread in elections right now called “Down goes Cantor,” about the unexpected loss in the GOP primary of House majority leader Eric Cantor – the first time in history that a majority leader has lost in a primary. But the thread’s title is a clever reminder of the classic Howard Cosell call during the 1972 fight between Joe Frazier and George Foreman. Frazier was the undefeated champion and Foreman was considered the long-shot challenger. Even people who don’t remember the details of the fight, though, probably are familiar with Cosell’s voice shouting “Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!” after Foreman knocked Frazier to the mat the first time.

What other sports calls have become as famous, or more famous, then their underlying events?

I’d nominate whoever the Argentinian announcer was when Diego Maradona scored that amazing goal in the World Cup: “GOOOOOOOAAALLLLL!!! GOOOOOOOAAALLLLL!!!GOOOOOOOAAALLLLL!!!”

And the Cal Bears’ win over Stanford when the Stanford marching band marched out on the field during the last play and the Bears player that made the touchdown did so by running over a Stanford band member to get into the end zone. “…and the band is on the field! The band is on the field!”

Any others?

“Do you believe in miracles? YES!”

When the game takes its colloquial name (Miracle on Ice) from the call, that’s a pretty good indicator.

The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!

“He. May. Go. All. The. Way.”

“Better than most…”

Havlicek Stole the Ball!

Secretariat is widening now! He is moving like a tremendous machine!

We’re having an earth----

As a Cardinals partisan of a certain age, I always get a little tingly hearing Jack Buck’s “Go crazy, folks! Go crazy!”

From across the pond: some people are on the pitch - they think it’s all over … it is now!

Yes Sir!!!

Another from across the pond. Norway beat England at football. Norwegian commentator goes full meltdown and raises the ghosts of a bizarre collection of British figures including Henry Cooper, Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook and Sir Anthony Eden. Remembered with much amused fondness by many an Englishman.

Your boys took a hell of a beating

And in this same spirit, take your pick between “I don’t believe what I just saw!” and "In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfK-vksoezs

“And we’ll see you tomorrow night.”

“No good! Wide right!”

“There are no flags on the field! It’s a miracle! Tennessee has pulled a miracle!”

Still too soon.

“And boom goes the dynamite”

And of course every golfer everywhere uses Carl Spackler’s “It’s a cinderella story”

“Well, some of the crowd are on the pitch. They think it’s all over. Well it is now”.

1966 FIFA World Cup Final.

This could end up being the only one in the thread that has the distinction of being the title of a nationally broadcasted TV show; the UK’s “They Think It’s All Over”

I’m pretty sure though that this is not a unique event, it’s just what South American commentators * do*.

One that can never be repeated enough. :wink:

“Line drive into right field…she …is…GONE!”