Greek yogurt! Yeah!

Is Balkan yoghurt the same as Greek? That’s what I like, and I don’t like yoghurt. As above, I get the plain, organic kind, add my own fruit and just enough low-cal sweetener to ease the tang. I find pre-fruit-and-sweetened too sweet for me. I like the thick creaminess of the Balkan kind I get, and although not low fat, it is satisfying and filling.

I like the Chobani lemon but my wife thinks it’s too tart. So YMMV.

Fage. Add your own honey.

I really like the Greek style, so I’ve been intending to try straining my homemade yogurt. Picked up some cheesecloth at the store this week, so we’ll see how it goes!

I have it for breakfast with unsweetened frozen raspberries (fresh are usually too expensive), raw oatmeal and a bunch of pecans. Sometimes a drop of agave nectar. Yum!

I recently decided to make yogurt in a mason jar - and realized I could strain the yogurt by switching to a lid for seed sprouting. My always-runny yogurt actually wound up too dry. If you don’t have a sprouting lid, google it and realize you can make your own from scrap window screening.

I’ve used the cheesecloth, of course, but didn’t like messing with rubber bands and losing yogurt that stuck to the cloth.

I usually make two quarts at a time, but I only strain one. I usually end up going right past Greek yogurt and straight into yogurt cheese. It’s wonderful spread on bread or crackers.

I’ve heard that skyr is to Greek yogurt what Greek yogurt is to regular yogurt. Any truth to this?

How easy a time would someone who sucks at cooking have making Greek yogurt/skyr?

Greek yogurt is basically regular yogurt that has been strained to a very thick consistency. To make yogurt, you need a medium pot, a thermometer, a heating pad, and a small cooler. It’s pretty easy. I use a variation of the recipe from the Frugal Gourmet cookbook that I can post tomorrow.

Chobani is super gross. It’s overwhelming popularity is mystifying to me.

I’m all for plain yogurt, myself, and definitely no fruit flavorings, so if you are into that and don’t care so much about the taste of the yogurt itself, that may be why Chobani is good enough for you.

Although, Chobani is a champion in comparison to anything Yoplait or Dannon could ever come up with. The latter brands are barely thicker than regular yogurt.

Hands down, Fage is the best one, but I’m also partial to Wallaby greek and Greek God (if you can find it) brands.

But yeah, I’m inclined to go with Skyr over greek. Siggi’s is where it’s at.

I don’t like plain Greek yogurt - the taste is kinda icky to me - but Silhouette and Yoplait both make pre-portioned, low sugar, low cal versions with fruit which make my health conscious diabetic self happy!

Fage 2% plain with assorted berries and a squirt of honey is my go-to breakfast. I’ll add some homemade granola for the crunch factor once in a while. YUM!

I like the texture of unstirred yogurt so I prefer yogurts that have the flavor already mixed in them rather than the fruit on the bottom varieties. For that reason, my favorite Greek yogurts are Dannon strawberry or raspberry.

This is what I do. Fage Zero. It’s great stuff.

It seems to have recently come on the market here. The first time I saw it it was on special so I tried a couple. It is clearly the worst yogurt I have ever had in my life and is the only brand I will actively avoid. I assumed it was some el cheapo Aussie brand. Remarkably synthetic taste - full of sugar and thickeners.

Having just returned from a trip to Turkey, where yogurt was present at every meal, and where the name yogurt originated, I have to say any yogurt I’ve had in the USA pales in comparison.

Very thick, tangy, and wonderful alone or mixed with fried fruits and/or cereals, it was wonderful. And I am a long-time yogurt fan. Too bad I can’t get the same thing here in the US.

Greek yogurt is the only kind I really like plain. In fact, I prefer it plain.

Moving over to Cafe Society.

I’ve tried to like Greek yogurt, I really have. I’ve tasted several different brands and always come to the same conclusion- yuck! Too thick, too tangy, too something, I don’t know. Blargh…

Chobani blood orange is the one I like best so far. Admittedly, I haven’t tried very many, but I plan to keep trying different brands and flavors.

The Chobani fruit flavored ones are delicious but I don’t eat them anymore because of all the added sugar.

Plain Chobani with fresh blueberries and strawberries is my favorite way to go now. Alternatively you can add a little honey.