green images of Iraq

In most of the shots of Iraq, the screen is green.
Why is this?

…night vision camera…i think

Night Vision I’d suppose. As the whole “shock and awe” is supposed to take Bagdad by night, the night vision cameras make it green (just my WAG)

You are probably seeing night images. The night vision images have a green tint.

I’m seconding the night vision camera. Much of the shots we see are live, meaning that at 8pm US time (roughly) it is much…earlier? there…which is why the morning news at 7am show night shots of Baghdad.

I’m really not even remotely close on the time difference, am I?

Probably because the photos were taken with night vision devices. Either that or Bagadad is actually the emerald city from the Wizzard of Oz. :smiley:

Except in this case, we must indeed pay attention to the man behind the curtain.

FYI: Baghdad time is 8 hours later than US EST time, so add 8 hours to EST, 9 hours to CST, 10 hours to MST, 11 hours to PST.

Example: 9PM EST = 5AM Baghdad.

Ah, there we go. Thank you!

I think that the green tint may have been added for effect; I know that handheld night vision devices tend to have greenish displays, but most of the night-vision/infra red video footage I have seen (wildlife documentaries mostly) is shown in grey mono, presumably because the cameras have a mono output.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we are being show night-vision photography with the green colour deliberately added for effect (a kind of visual shorthand intended to make us think ‘Oooh, night vision’ - in much the same way that movies often show ‘camcorder footage’ with an internal frame, and the legend REC next to a little blinking red light).

The real night vision devices I’ve tried are green.

The night vision scope I had also used a green display. Night vision scopes and infrared scopes are not the same thing.

It all depends upon the type of night vision equipment being used. Some devices amplify the available light (passive), other devices use an infra-red emitter to illuminate the area in front of the device (active). I believe the passive devices are the ones with the green output. The military tends to prefer passive devices over active ones, since an active device gives away your position to anyone with night vision equipment.

But is it military equipment at all that is capturing the footage we’re seeing?.

In any case, is there any point in using a colour camera to capture the output of a photomultiplier? (or are these devices interchangeable with the other lenses on a conventional video camera?

It may not be military grade equipment, but the military certainly approved of the equipment before it was used. There’s simply no way the military would allow a reporter to have an active device with him/her on the mission. An active night vision device would be the world’s largest SHOOT HERE!!! sign for the opposing side. Even if the Iraqi’s had civilian grade passive devices, there’s no way they could mistake the emissions from an active device as anything natural or fail to detect them. Additionally, the active devices might screw with some of the guided bombs we’re dropping and make them think that the CNN reporter/whomever was the target.

I believe that they can just “pop” the device on the lens of the camera as easily as they can a telephoto lens. They could, of course, take the green out in the editing booth, but there might be a loss of image quality if they do that. They might also leave it in since in our short attention span society people tend to think of black and white images as “old” and might tune out.

I know night vision scopes produce green images, but image intensified cameras (cameras with built-in night vision) usually produce monochrome images. Either the TV stations are using add-on night vision systems on their regular color cameras, or they are adding false color.

Not that there’s anything wrong with false color. Scientists use it all the time. A black-green-white gradient shows more detail than a black-gray-white gradient. And even scientists agree that gray images are boring.

The journalists don’t usually carry a dedicated NV camera, they add a night vision unit to the color camera they already have. The green is from the phosphor that is used to produce the image in the image intensifier tube. Thermal imaging units usually have a black and white image, and in the case of the latest generations, much clearer.

For a period of years I worked variously as a contract negotiator, an administrator, and, finally, a contract attorney for the now-defunct U. S. Army Aviation and Troop Command in St. Louis.

The agency procured, among other things, Night Vision devices. It was explained to me that because these use radiant heat, rather than light, to form images, they do not record color. (Doubtless a physicist or engineer could explain this far better than I). Some Dopers will recall that there is a sequence in Silence of the Lambs which is shown from a subjective point of view as “Buffalo Bill”, wearing Night Vision goggles, stalks Jodie Foster. The image is a bit similar to that in the Iraqi war coverage being discussed.

By the way, none of the above is meant to refute bbill’s post above; it seems entirely possible, or even likely, that many of the images being shown in the news coverage are from devices such as he describes.

I think its night vision.