Greens

I was thinking of a poll for preferences of various greens, and rather than checking Wikipedia I thought I’d just ask for likely candidates for a poll list that would supplement:

Collards
Kale
Turnip Greens
Spinach
Iceberg Lettuce
Romaine Lettuce
Watercress
Poke Salet

What to add?

Cooked greens or salad greens? Big difference, and putting them together might complicate any polling. I’d separate the two groups.

I don’t object to two polls, but maybe the number of items will dictate that.

If it matters, I only had cooked spinach for the first 20 years of my life and was blown away at how good it was raw in salads. That’s not to suggest that all greens can be done that way, and I understand that poke salet is toxic unless cooked (almost to death). And then there are the “wild greens” to consider.

Whatever’s right.

My favorite is Swiss chard. Also, mustard greens are quite tasty and missing from your poll. Also, what about cabbage?

Mustard greens
Arugula
Escarole
Radicchio
Endive
Dandelion

I’m sure I’m missing many more.

Good ones! I should have included Mustard Greens in my list and the others are some I have at least tried at one time or another.

Beet greens
Radish greens

Never had either. Cooked, I would assume?

As for the poll idea, what if we went with multiple choice and labeled the items as “cooked” and “raw” instead of having to have two separate polls? Just an idea.

Other than in “wilted salads” is lettuce ever good cooked?

I have an ancient pseudo “lo mein” recipe clipped from Women’s Day or Family Circle in the 80’s. It uses Ramen noodles, ground pork, onions, carrots, peas…and chopped Romain lettuce. A whole head of it, heaped up on top of the other stuff and with the lid just balancing, until it wilts down and suddenly the dish fits into the pan.

It’s delicious.

It’s not remotely like lo mein, but it’s delicious.

Sadly, my wife cooks stir-fried lettuce all the time. Mmm…soggy.

One green that I kind of like is snow pea greens. Beats the hell out of lettuce, anyways.

I grill romaine all the time. Alton has a great recipe.

Sounds good to eat – if somebody else goes to the trouble.

Okay. Color me informed about cooked lettuce. :slight_smile:

ETA: I broke down and looked up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf_vegetable

I love collard greens prepared correctly (they take time to tenderize, and you need some smoked pork, and turnip or parsnip, and garlic in there, and if you didn’t strip out the stems you are a lazy cook). Kale and spinach are also up there. And salad greens are totally different thing. Romaine is the only necessary green in my salads.

Lettuce soup. Perfect for the summer.

Yeah, collards are one of the greens that you really do need to strip out that tough inner stem. And remember to wash your greens thoroughly! I didn’t bother once when I made a mix of collards and mustard greens, thinking they looked pretty well-cleaned. Nothing like eating a plate of greens and spitting out little bits of sand.

A great dish to use up lots of different kinds of greens is gumbo z’herbes. That’s a link to a vegetarian version (which is great), but you can also add a ham hock or tasso or andouille or whatnot to it if you feel like it. I think it works just fine as a straight-up vegetarian gumbo.

Fresh Beet greens and Swiss Chard are my absolute favorite greens. At least they used to be. I haven’t had either in years.

Bok Choy

Nappa Cabbage (aka Chinese Cabbage)

Here’s a summary list through Post #17. Did I miss any?

What to add?

Collards
Kale
Turnip Greens
Spinach
Iceberg Lettuce
Romaine Lettuce
Watercress
Poke Salet

“wild greens”

Swiss chard
mustard greens
cabbage?

Arugula
Escarole
Radicchio
Endive
Dandelion

Beet greens
Radish greens

“wilted salads”

pseudo “lo mein” with chopped Romain lettuce

stir-fried lettuce

snow pea greens

grilled romaine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf_vegetable

Lettuce soup

gumbo z’herbes

Bok Choy

Nappa Cabbage (aka Chinese Cabbage)

Kale by a mile. It is the best for you buy a lot (a true superfood) and tastes great cooked with olive oil, fresh garlic, and chopped peppers. I eat a large bag of it almost every single day. Collards are a close second.