Gregory Mcdonald's "Fletch" series

I need something new to read, and I’ve heard many rave about it. I’m familiar with Chevy Chase’s movies.

I looked it up, and there are 11 in the series (two about his son). The first published book is, “Fletch”, and it’s the one everyone loves. I’ve heard folks were disappointed by the follow-ups. However, in looking up the chronological order, “Fletch” comes fourth.

Here’s the reading order that’s been recommended:

• Fletch Won (1985)
  • Fletch, Too (1986)
  • Fletch and the Widow Bradley (1981)
  • Fletch (1974)
  • Carioca Fletch (1984)
  • Confess, Fletch (1976)
  • Fletch’s Fortune (1978)
  • Fletch’s Moxie (1982)
  • Fletch and the Man Who (1983)
  • Son of Fletch (1993)
  • Fletch Reflected (1994)

So, should I start with, “Fletch Won”, or jump ahead to, “Fletch”?

Read them in the published order to better understand the character, and after Confess, Fletch you might want to try the off-shoot Flynn books.

Huh. I read the first one (Fletch, 1974), and while it wasn’t badly written or anything, my reaction was that Fletch was such an asshole (it’s not because he’s misunderstood that everybody hates him) that I have never felt the urge to read about his further adventures. Not that many novels don’t feature a protagonist who may be a serial killer or other not-very-nice person, but for some reason Fletch never spoke to me.

There have been a few book series where I read the original one, was not especially excited, but after however much time picked up the sequel only to discover that I liked it, so would be curious to hear what people think of Fletch with a critical eye.

I’ve read the first three.
I loved “Fletch” and liked the others less. You can’t improve on perfection.

I liked the book, but disliked Fletch, if that makes sense.

If the sequels are not as good, as with many serials, there should have been a compelling reason for them to exist.

So read the original novel— it won awards— and after that make up your own mind about whether you want more.

OK, thanks everyone. I’ll jump straight to FLETCH and go back to FLETCH WON if I want more. Might as well start with the one more ppl liked than wade through some potentially lesser books.

I read Fletch, and another one, but found the spin-off Flynn books, and liked them much better. I think I’ve read all the Flynn ones now. I might have read one more of the Fletch books, but wasn’t ever inspired to seek out any more of them.

I remember reading one or two in the 70s. I assume you’ll be getting paperbacks, used hardcovers start at $135!

Just borrowed the first from library. Loved it, moving on to the 2nd one.

If anyone see this thread again, I am a little confused about the final page. Why does Fletch call the Tharp family foundation?

There was a late Flynn book (“Flynn’s World”) published in 1999/2003 (ebook/paper). It’s weird because the kids aren’t any older than they were in the earlier books, but the technology is clearly 2000-era, not 1980 era.

It’s been a long time since I read these books, but isn’t Fletch writing (or says he’s writing) a book about the artist Edgar Arthur Tharp? Maybe he wanted information or money.

I liked the first three books, and Fletch’s Fortune is my favorite.

That is right, it was probably just a way to lead into the next book, for a minute I thought I missed something about the resolution of the case

Will continue on to Fortune

Fletch actually finished the book, surprisingly enough.

Two years later here’s you answer. That’s the foundation for the artist he said he was going to write the book about.