Grimm

In a related story…where have I seen him before!!!

That’s Sasha Roiz. You may have seen him in Caprica or Warehouse 13.

This is going to be a continuing story?

In the close-up (when he’s contemplating them) they have skeins of dried blood all over them.

I’m reading through this thread wondering if people only half-pay attention during TV shows, but that might not be fair since I watch essentially zero TV all week. In any case, for some reason late last night we watched the Grimm and Once Upon a Time pilots back-to-back and enjoyed them both. Comments…

Grimm looks a bit too episodic for my tastes, but we’ll give it a try. Pros: interesting werewolf, possible exploration of monster types, action-filled plot, good one-liners (I think the line I liked best was “you guys go to church?”). Cons: lead actor with one facial expression, some conventional plotting. I’ll give it at least two more weeks.

Once Upon a Time has more potential. Pros: willingness to blend plot all over the place back and forth between whimsy and drama; Lost writers will ensure meaningful plot arcs; I like the chick from House and the kid; the location is good. Cons: some bad acting (did Rumpelstiltskin come from community theater overacting?), Lost writers will ensure meaningless plot arcs; the villainness is pretty stale. We’ll also give this a couple more weeks.

Looks like.

Good ep last night – liked the little byplay when the father found out the son was going to do the initiation ceremony – “No one does that these days…”

Also liked that the Good Wolf and the hero are going to have some kind of ongoing relationship. “Oops, might have gone too far…” after he ripped the guy’s arm off.

Curious to see how hero ends up guarding the demonic blonde next week.

Removed “Pilot” from the thread title, since this seems to have turned into the thread for the series.

I liked the fact that the father wasn’t a bad guy, and that the mother thought of it as a necessary preservation of their heritage, but the father rejected that. Kinda like having your great grandfather fight for the CSA doesn’t justify being a member of the Klan now.

And I know this is in no way a police procedural, but I couldn’t help but feel that ripping the bad guy’s arm off might have caused a few problems for both the Big Good Wolf and the main character.

I liked the pilot better than this episode. Werebears?

There bears. (Yeah, I know; sorry, couldn’t resist.)

But. Given the entire premise of the show is these fairytale creatures exist in some kind of disguised “human” form, if you’re rejecting “werebears” it seems to me you’re going to reject the series itself. I suppose starting off with the wolf was just the easiest way to get into it using the familiar werewolf trope, but I expect we’ll see week after week of similar were-monsters disguised as humans (such as the blonde “hexenbiest”).

Yeah, I get that they were going for the Goldilocks connection (They weren’t just sleeping in our bed!). I just wish they that after having the Big Bad Werewolf as last week’s villain, they had gone for something very different this time. When the main character first saw the animal-face of the son, I actually did think it was wolves again.

I guess you missed the title of the episode was “Bears Will Be Bears” at first then.

I wish they hadn’t killed off the aunt so soon. Maybe she’ll come back as a ghost. I’m still trying to interpret that dream where she stabbed the hero in the hand.

For the first half of the episode, I thought they had forgotten Juliet existed, but she actually more screen time here.

I’m liking the show on the whole so far, but one little thing that threw me off was in the beginning of the second episode hero fella claimed he couldn’t identify the woman that attacked aunt Marie, when he was acting kind of stalker-y about her in the very opening scene of the pilot. Have I missed something, or is it really just poor continuity?

How much says the girlfriend is also a fairytale critter?

Oh yeah, almost certainly.

We just watched the 2nd episode online and enjoyed it, though I’m still having trouble latching onto the lead actor. I did get an unexpected laugh out of someone getting their arm ripped off - between the guy playing the werewolf, and the unexpected cartoon violence, it felt exactly like Bruce Campbell was in the room.

Only because her face looks weird.

Worse than the first, which wasn’t all that good. You could hear the grunts of the writer as they strained to fit it into the Goldielocks legend. The hero was about as interesting as federal tax tables and his reformed werewolf friend - the only really interesting character in the show - didn’t show up until it was half over. The aunt seemed more interesting than before, but, really, how long can she be part of the show when she’s at death’s door all the time?

She’s already crossed the threshold of the door but we could still see her in his dreams.

Also, I think the continuity is a bit messed up. Aunt Marie dies, then we see girlfriend watching and looking sad as the cop/Grimm drives off in Aunt Marie’s trailer. Then we cut to a cemetery in the forest where he’s at her grave with the girlfriend. So why the trailer scene? I thought maybe he was going to go off and live in the trailer to protect the girlfriend but then why is she at the gravesite with him?

And what was that thing, peeking at them from behind the shrubs?

Also…

Why did Mom Bear turn into an actual bear?

Aunt told him they could never find the trailer, leaving it parked outside his house is not the best hiding spot. I took that as just him going to hide the trailer.

Wouldn’t the main character “flash” on her?

Brian