Grippage? Grippage??

Grippage is a perfectly cromulent word!

Embiggened… :slight_smile:

A friend’s dad once received the following personal statement on a resume:

“I still fantize great subjective embuckments to succumb”

Needless to say, the rest of the resume was an exercise in creative writing as well.

Absolutely the most priceless piece of pseduo word use I’ve ever seen…

oops…pseudo.

Hangs head in shame and walks away muttering…

I’m so not cromulent it hurts.

I remember cringing visibly the first time I heard the adverb “majorly.”

:rolleyes:

Speaking of great WTF usage – but legit, more or less – my father, who graduated from college in 1939, told me of a line from a college textbook that stuck with him forever, and now I’ll infect a whole new group of people:

“Malversation and peculation were rife.”

Oh, and then there are my two favorite invented words:

• Shload. A contraction. (Three guesses…)
  • Fugly. Another contraction! (No more guesses. Hope you saved some.)

I think I saw this in a movie. A guy started hanging with his girlfriend and not so much with the guys anymore. They were discussing the “pussification” of their friend. Beauty.

One that we use around the house all the time:

“How’s your food, honey?”

“Foody!”

And finally, directly relating to the OP, another noun that we actually use a lot in mechanical engineering discussions: stiction.

It’s kinda like grippage, except it connotes a noticeable difference between the static friction and sliding friction.

Hmm, grippage? That’s not right. The correct word is gription.

Well, that’s interesting, I too suggested gription, and the hamsters ate my post, yet Unclebeer’s made it through no prob.

<cue spooky music>

[sub]He obviously has some sort of dark pact worked out with them[/sub] :smiley:

How about gripipitude?

So instead of “get a grip” you can now say, “get some gripipitude”.

Cromulatious!

I have to say that the preponderence of words in this thread that were invented by the writers of The Simpsons is just craptastic.

That’s unpossible!

Just read a transcript of a deposition in which the witness referred repeatedly to the “stigmatism” the plaintiff suffered as a result of the defendant’s behavior.

Ah. The beauty of the English language. One can make up words and still communicate and almost any noun can be turned into a verb (or verbulated.)

My mother used a “word” often enough that I just assumed it was real until my wife giggled when she heard it and I realized it was fabricated.

Thoughty – instead of thoughtful

And, of course, Zeldar, hours of contemplation and rumination result in maximum thoughtage.

Only if the idea behind it has maximal griptitude.

That’s gripipitude. :rolleyes:

<snerk>