Grippage? Grippage??

This just looks like a lot of gripeage about grippage to me.

Almost as bad as a lot of whineage…

OK, this morning, I heard another one. There was a story on the local news about a family that won a kitchen makeover. The reporter was interviewing one of the contractors about what was going to be done in the kitchen. This isn’t an exact quote, but the guy said: “Well, first, we start with the demolitioning!”

Demolitioning? What’s wrong with Demolitionage?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHH!

That’s like “orientate,” which is fingernails on a blackboard to me.

Orientate is definitely a hot-button with me. EEESH.

The folks in the cubicle next to me are often talking about parts which have become “obsolescent” :eek:

I guess obsolete is, um, obsolescent?

Does anybody else wince when somebody mentions a “mute point”?

If the person mentioning it were actually mute then they could actually make a mute point but then you wouldn’t hear because of course they’re mute and so you wouldn’t know if they made a mute point or not …
Aiii! My brain hurts!

My favorite: Craptacular (crap-tak-u-lar)

I don’t know what made me remember this, but eons ago, the first time I went to college, circa 1973, there was a ditzy blond who hung around the student center with us. We were discussing breakfast one day, and she mentioned how she preferred freshly squozen orange juice.

We immediately mocked her and she insisted it was the correct word. You know: Freeze - Frozen, therefore Squeeze - Squozen.

And this was in a very expensive private women’s college…

I have, on more than one occasion, described something I have boughten (bought+gotten).

The only thing left with me from a boyfriend years ago…

“aerodynamisticity.”

AHAHAHAHAAa!!

I use it all the time. Can’t help it. I love it.

Actually, I think squozen and boughten are both nicely cromulent. Since they are actually word combinations (squeezed + frozen = squozen, bought + gotten = boughten), I’d say they really have a use! Especially for those of us who actually use “words” like cromulent …

My MIL uses boughten - but she thinks it’s a real word.

In the Rimshot household, it’s all about “-oscopy” and “-ectomy”. Before we’d buy the rubber sandals, we would certainly want to perform a griposcopy to make sure they had sufficient grippage. Once satisfied, we’d probably do a sandalectomy if the price was right.

Yeah, I know, it gets too cute in a hurry, and we end up using more words for the same thing than “normal” folks. But what’s a language for, if you can’t abuse it every once in a while?