Growing up, did your school allow guns?

1. I think you had to leave them in the car.
  2. Yes. a friend of mine was on it.
  3. No idea.
  4. Northern Virginia (Fairfax County).

It wasn’t really common, and I don’t think that most people knew about it.

1. Yes. Some kids at the high school would go duck hunting before class. It wasn’t socially encouraged in the circles I ran around in. AIUI, the shotguns were kept in their trucks, along with whatever they shot. I imagine ice chests and ice were involved.

2. No rifle team. I had to go shoot with a family friend about 30 miles away for that. I’m not sure if it was 4-H or what, but it was indoor, 4-position smallbore rifle shooting. Informal, local farmers’ kids, that sort of thing, as an adjunct to the adults’ rifle league.

3. I don’t know that there were any formal rules. What was kept in the car, stayed in the car. AIUI, we didn’t have anything like dog sweeps for contraband. I gathered the powers that be didn’t really care much.

We did have a school shooting of sorts when I attended. A parent of one of the students shot up his workplace, then drove over to our campus. He didn’t get onto the property, just sat in his car for a bit and then shot himself. We were kept in our classrooms, locked the doors, and mostly kept in the dark about what was going on. I didn’t hear the final gunshot, FWIW.

1. Coastal California, late 1980s.

I don’t know what the rules were exactly. When I was in the 6th grade, circa 1968, a girl brought in some rifles as part of a project. No idea what the project was because she was cute and guns are cool. Anyhoo, I think her father came in with her in the morning and left the guns in cases with the teacher. It might have raised an eyebrow or two in the community, but there was no sense of the gun danger that permeates society now, and I doubt there was any rule specifically addressing the issue.

We were until that Hatfield boy had to lay hands on that McCoy pig. Ruined things for everybody.
I grew up in the South™ and even a knife would have gotten you suspended. After they paddled you first. I’ve never heard of any school allowing firearms of any sort.

Great plains in the 90s. My high school had a history of pumping out serious marksmen for the military. There wasn’t a high school team, but there were 4H, scouts, and other teams associate with competing ranges. One classmate started dressing by the end of sophomore year in fatigues and camo paraphenalia and it kept on escalating such that by senior year he was full battle ready. Interestingly, I have no idea what branch he was even planning on. But I know that at least 2 older siblings had both joined and he was gone the day after graduation. However, he started wearing wood and cardboard weapons as part of his gear and petitioned to have real ones- The principal relented on allowing a gun (sans magazine and firing pin which he kept in his office) but wouldn’t allow him more than a folding pocket knife as knives are “too dangerous”.

So Yes, guns were allowed.

1- no
2- yes
3- guns and ammunition were kept where they practiced, off of school grounds
4- Virginia

Back in second grade, I asked mom if I could take Dad’s WWII Japanese sword for show and tell. She said that might be dangerous and sent me with an old sixty caliber pistol instead. The teacher called the principal and he said just to put it on the shelf until time to go home. I didn’t get to show it.

(The gun in question is a muzzle-loader percussion cap model, U.S. army issue, and is in no way serviceable. It’s kind of heavy though, and might hurt a lot if dropped on a toe. This was in '67 or '68.)

Our school had a gun club and it wasn’t unusual to see people walking down the halls with a rifle. This was around 1968. I believe that the military provided the ammunition. The club disbanded around 1970 due to a lack of interest. This was in Kentucky.

This is so different from my experience that it’s hard even to imagine. Guns on school property of any sort? No way. Eastern New England in MA, RI, and CT at various times

My high schooler is on the paintball team and carries his air rifle to school on the bus on range days (locked case.) It is locked in the school office when he arrives.

Northeast OH, late 50s to mid 60s. I never took a gun to school. I suspect it was so far outside what was considered acceptable that there wasn’t even a specific rule against it. If it were known a gun was on the school property, I can’t imagine the first teacher who knew wouldn’t have confiscated it and called parents.

If I had so much as brought a pink and turquoise plastic water squirt gun with googly eyes on it, I would have probably been permanently expelled.

1. Were guns allowed in school?

I don’t think they were specifically allowed, but I don’t remember them being banned either. You couldn’t carry them on campus, I’m sure, but I think you could have them in your car/truck.

2. Did your school have a rifle team?

Not our school, but others in the area did.

3. If so what were the rules regarding how the gun and ammunition were kept?

A friend who was on her school’s rifle team has mentioned having to get them out of the lock-up, so I am assuming they were kept locked up somewhere. Probably a room in the gym, I would think.

4. What part of the country was this?

Sierra Nevada Foothills/greater Sacramento area (mid-80’s to early 90’s)

I went to high school in Memphis, TN in the mid-70s. Every male was required to take ROTC in order to graduate (at the time, most HS grads were either drafted or went to college, and the Memphis City School System decided that a year of ROTC would be beneficial in either case).

ROTC required training with a M14, issued to each cadet. You were required to memorize the SN, be able to carry the weapon in formation, and be able to strip it, clean it, and re-assemble it. The rifles were always kept in the armory, unless we were marching with them. Now, these rifles had had their firing pins removed and bolts swapped (the bolt for an M14 has to be “matched” to the receiver; at least that is what we were told). Every cadet took “shooting practice” with 22 caliber rifles and the school had its own indoor firing range. Yes, there was a rifle team.

I do not remember how the ammunition was controlled, but at the time, I could buy 22LR ammo at the store without much problem. Technically, at the time, ammunition that could be used in a handgun could not be sold to anyone under 18, but the 22LR (long rifle cartridge) was always a question. It was designed to be too long to work in handguns, but there were handguns that could use them. I would plink with my father’s 22 rifle a lot as a teenager and while I was never refused when I bought ammo, sometimes the store I bought the ammo would deliberately make a “mistake” on my birth date.

To be honest, I don’t actually remember if I took the 22 to school (after I started driving to school), but that 22 rifle and a 410 shotgun were with me a lot in those years and it is possible I had them in the car or truck (we had both a station wagon and a pickup truck and it was a toss-up which one I would drive to school on any given day). I don’t remember specifically taking them, but it really wasn’t an issue, so I guess it is possible they could have been in the vehicle.

Handguns were prohibited (I think it was illegal for anyone under 18 to possess a handgun, but I may be wrong on that). I did usually carry a pocket knife (as did many of my friends). The knives weren’t weapons, they were tools.

1. No
  2. No; JROTC had 1903 Springfields (that had been rendered inoperative) for drill
  3. Above (inoperative) rifles were locked up in JROTC classroom space
  4. Long Island NY, 1980s
  1. No
  2. No
  3. n/a
  4. South Florida, Broward County early 1980s.
  1. Absolutely not. A gun being found in a car would have been a hellacious experience with SWAT teams and lockdowns and grief counselors.
  2. No.
  3. Central Ohio, but more important was the time. I was in high school in the mid 2000s. There had already been a moral panic about school shootings in the 90s and any suggestion of gun+school was a Big Deal. There was an especially high profile shooting late in my senior year (I think Virginia Tech) that prompted all kinds of drills and Very Serious Lessons and windows being permanently covered with blackout paper.

No guns at my school. Though I wasn’t living in America, either.

However, I did live in the country, so the usage of guns as hunting rifles was common. For example, my Dad would occasionally go out and hunt rabbits, which I tagged along on a few occasions, aged 9-12 or so. So out amongst the farmer’s kids, I’m sure many of them had rifles of their own once they were of age, which I presume was 15, though may have been 18. It’s possible they brought them in their cars, though it’s more likely they didn’t.

We did learn air-rifle target shooting at School Camp, though. That’s the only time I’ve fired any kind of firearm.

Pittsburgh, early to mid 90s. No way. In fact, I remember asking one of my teachers if anyone had ever been caught with a gun at school. He said ONCE, and the kid was expelled.

Now my cousin at another school district was once able to bring in a musket to class when he was in high school, for sort of a “show and tell” type of thing. But I’m guessing he got permission before hand, and this was only for that demonstration.

Hahahahaha hell no.

Possession of a firearm on campus was cause for expulsion not just from the school but from the district. Hunting isn’t a thing here, the only reason a student would have to have s gun is to commit violence.

Long Beach, CA, late 80’s.