Guaranteed hot-button issues on message boards

From what I’ve witnessed on many messageboards, the hot button issue is usually “newbies” there are debates whether an influx of newbies is going to ruin the golden years of a board. Whenever a close clique-ness of the board feels under jeopardy it usually gets people irate no matter what side they’re coming from.

[QUOTE=toto dies]
From what I’ve witnessed on many messageboards, the hot button issue is usually “newbies” there are debates whether an influx of newbies is going to ruin the golden years of a board. Whenever a close clique-ness of the board feels under jeopardy it usually gets people irate no matter what side they’re coming from.
[/QUOTE]

Or the newbies posting the same questions the regular visitors have seen before.

Am I really the first one to mention smoking? The “right of smokers to smoke” v. “the right of non-smokers not to be unduly exposed to smoke” is a pretty hot one here.

[QUOTE=KayElCee]
What does/does not qualify as racism.
[/QUOTE]
Corollary: reparations for descendants of slaves.

[QUOTE=Missy2U]
Wal-Mart - minion of the devil/American success story
[/QUOTE]

Starbucks - good coffee/bad coffee. Good corporate citizen or killer of local coffee houses.

[QUOTE=toto dies]
From what I’ve witnessed on many messageboards, the hot button issue is usually “newbies” there are debates whether an influx of newbies is going to ruin the golden years of a board. Whenever a close clique-ness of the board feels under jeopardy it usually gets people irate no matter what side they’re coming from.
[/QUOTE]

Now THAT I’ve seen many times.

[QUOTE=Rushgeekgirl]
Breastfeeding, especially extended nursing
[/QUOTE]

Or breastfeeding in public. God forbid someone should see a boobie.

[QUOTE=control-z]
Mac vs. PC
PS2 vs. XBox
PS3 vs XBox360 vs Wii
Ford versus Chevy
Hitler
Tailgating
George W. Bush
[/QUOTE]

Is there a lot of debate on the Hitler thing?

  • manual/auto transmissions
  • cyclists
  • child corporal punishment
  • grammar Nazism
  • Vegemite

[QUOTE=Heffalump and Roo]
Wow. Just wow.

You and I must not frequent the same message boards (or perhaps I’m just not as aware of these topics), but I haven’t noticed these as particularly hot-button issues on any other forum I’ve frequented.
[/QUOTE]

I haven’t either, I guess that’s why I like it here. Even if the topics aren’t that exciting, the comments are pure gold.

When I used to just read here I had a SDMB comments folder and used to copy some of the comments to read later because they cracked me up.

A couple I saved over the years and I have no idea who wrote them–

“..none of the rest of this is of any significance at all, you are simply pumping more gas into a fart dirigible.”

“Pardon me, allow me to translate. I speak Crazy.”

"Its a bit confusing listening to you guys piss and moan about your oppression, like Roots with an all-white cast…"

[QUOTE=Heffalump and Roo]
Wow. Just wow.

You and I must not frequent the same message boards (or perhaps I’m just not as aware of these topics), but I haven’t noticed these as particularly hot-button issues on any other forum I’ve frequented.

And except for issues that are already heated in real life such as religion, abortion and gay rights, I haven’t seen much venom over the other issues presented in this thread either. I could, however, get heated up over the cell phone issue all by myself, but perhaps that doesn’t count.
[/QUOTE]

Stick around here a little while. You’ll see all of the above heatedly debated or just plain argued about.

Vegetarianism.

[QUOTE=SenorBeef]
Is there a lot of debate on the Hitler thing?
[/QUOTE]

Well, I was thinking along the lines of comparing “X” to Hitler.

[QUOTE=control-z]

Ford versus Chevy
Hitler
Tailgating
George W. Bush
[/QUOTE]

These are great fodder for intense debates if you string them all together like so:

Ford vs. Chevy: Hitler tailgating George W. Bush!

It’s been a while since I’ve participated in such a debate but the central focus of it tends to be about which one drives the Chevy and which one drives the Ford.

[QUOTE=DWMarch]
These are great fodder for intense debates if you string them all together like so:

Ford vs. Chevy: Hitler tailgating George W. Bush!

It’s been a while since I’ve participated in such a debate but the central focus of it tends to be about which one drives the Chevy and which one drives the Ford.
[/QUOTE]

GW drives a Ford pickup on his ranch. Hitler probably got driven around in a Mercedes…

The corporeal existence of C. Adams, Perfect Master.

Shoes on/shoes off in the house.

(I was apparently raised in one of the few houses where the attitude toward this and many other household ‘rules’ (like the TP roll) was “meh, whatever”, and have always been amazed by the amount of ire these threads generate)