Guitar Building Project, pt 2: The Neck Goes Back

see first thread here: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=477417

sigh

So I got the neck - VERY well made; really good stuff. But…well, it doesn’t feel perfect. It is thisclose - but when I built my last guitar, I was able to have my buddy do some final shaping that made it perfect, and this new neck doesn’t have the extra wood to sand it slightly down to the shape I want.

So, I called Warmoth and they were GREAT. I hadn’t ordered anything special about the neck - all standard options - so they will take the return and build me a new one with the new neck carve. They can put the returned neck on their on line Showcase (so you could buy it yourself!) All I will be out is shipping - and another 6 weeks while I wait for THAT neck to arrive.

Anyone else have updates on their projects? I know of at least a couple out there! As for me - well, I will check in in about 6 weeks!

This is so cool. I’ve always wanted to do this. I’m going to use your thread as a starting point! :cool:

I’m confused – in the previous thread I’d asked what radius you’d specified for your compound radii, and you said there weren’t any options to choose from. Does this mean they made that neck you received wrong, or is Warmoth now shipping you a different type of neck, or… well, I’m not sure what “or”. What is Warmoth doing different this next time around?

Sorry I am not being clear. The radius is an aspect of the *top *of the fingerboard; what you press against. That is what was compound on the neck that arrived (and appeared to feel great, I might add). The carve is the back of the neck - the part you either grip or have your thumb pressed against.

I can geek on this as needed, but neck carve is a huge deal in guitar discussions for many players. I have come to believe that finding the right shape for my playing over the past few years has been part of the solid improvement I have experienced. Anyway, so the back of the neck I ordered was a Boat Carve - more meat than Warmoth’s Standard Thin, but with a soft V cross section. This carve has been used on some classic guitars: certain 50’s Strats, Pre-war Martin acoustics - my '57 Gibson Les Paul Special has a soft V and feels wonderful. Anyway, I prefer a chunky neck but prefer a V to a C (too thin), or a U (the “shoulders are too big” - opposite of a Boat). It is really great to hang your thumb over; if you hold your hand kinda like you’d hold a guitar neck, then look at it palm facing you, you should see a soft V shape in the crook between your thumb and forefinger - it just fits for that style of playing.

So I tried their Boat. I really, really liked it and might’ve been tempted to keep it, but when I built the first guitar, the project guitar I bought as my starter came with a Fat neck carve - a big U. So I had my guy Bill take down the shoulders a bit - softening the U into a V. But it is very soft - and the Boat neck I got is a tad more V-shaped. Since I have the hand-shaped one and know exactly what I prefer about it, I don’t want to compromise on something that is great, but not ideal.

Hey guys. I’ve been a lurker here for a long time because I’m exceedingly cheap :smiley: but now that posting is free, I feel I just have to get in on this thread…

I too have gotten into guitar building recently. I’ve built two - a strat and a tele. I have a build thread on the tele with pics out on the Gear Page website here:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=398602

Warmoth is a great company. Both of the guitars I’ve made have Warmoth necks with the Clapton V profile and I love them…

Good luck on your build Wordman. Once you’re done, you’ll want to build another one… and another one… and another one… and…

Dude - you did great work on that Tele! Love the color and the P-90’s. Especially making the body yourself - wanna make mine for me? :wink: (how much does it weigh?) And yeah, if you read the longer thread, you’ll see I have built one before this - it is addicting, isn’t it?

Quite…

I haven’t really weighed it but I’d estimate about 8 - 9 lbs. The mahogany I used was pretty dense and the body alone must of weighed around 5 lbs on it’s own…

I really didn’t do that great of a job. The finish came out pretty nice but the string thru holes were my big mistake. The ferrules on the back look all messed up.:smack: But it plays really well - I guess that’s all that matters…

That’s the ONLY thing that matters. Like I said in the first thread of this project, what mattered most to me with my first build project was the satisfaction of picking out features and having it turn out that I was right - they are very suited to my playing.

If it makes you want to play and play better, you win.