Guitarists: Whom Do You Admire Most As A Player?

Lovely stuff.

On the subject of great music shows, I humbly submit “the old grey whistle test”. The BBC’s stalwart throughout the 70’s and 80’s. Worth searching for it on the youtubes as it has some epic performances on there. Not strictly relevant to this thread regarding guitarists but it has such beauties as this, I think this is the greatest version of “stir it up”. Goose bumps every time.

I barely know which end of a guitar to hold, but if I could learn to play like anyone, it would be Mark Knopfler.

At the first Richard Thompson show I saw with the full band behind him, I told my wife I was hoping to hear them play “Tear Stained Letter”. Which is what they opened the show with. After the song was over I tapped my wife on the knee and said “OK, we can go now.” :sweat_smile:

Adrian Belew… As a whole package person and player, he’s always been pushing creative edges, experimenting, and seems a selfless collaborator rather than a showboating front man. He’s never seemed to rest on history or stuck in past techniques. Most of all, it seems he’s doing everything for the sheer pleasure of playing.

Runners up: Buck Dharma, David Gilmour

Poison Ivy Rorschach (The Cramps), Bob Mould, Johnny Marr, George Harrison.

Interesting, I did not recognize either one. They are no slouches themselves, but I’d love to know what they were thinking as this was happening.

Perhaps a simple, repeated “wow”.

mmm

Billy Zoom is who I copied my guitar-playing stance from!

The best word I can think of to describe Knopfler’s playing is “expressive”. I could listen to him play all day.

I’m unfortunately no good on the guitar, but I do love X. I’ve seen them three times in concert, including their 1998 Palladium show which was one of the first gigs they did once Billy rejoined the band. I got my X tattoo (my first ink, actually) not long after. Also saw The Knitters live twice. All were amazing shows.

Man, when I saw the Talking Heads on their “Remain in Light” tour, I went from “who is this guy up on the stage?” to “holy shit, how do I learn more about him??” I then saw him a year later again with King Crimson, and again was blown away. Since then I’ve bought a few of his albums, either solo or with the Bears, but I suspect I’ve still missed some very good stuff.

I’m not much of a guitarist, but I would say: Johnny Marr, Robin Guthrie, John Frusciante, Kevin Shields and Kristin Hersh are the ones I most admire.

Glad to see someone mention Glen Campbell. He was quite a session guitarist before his later singing popularity took off.

Here he is live on Hee Haw playing Ghost Riders in the Sky with Roy Clark, who was also no slouch. They have a lot of fun and you can see the admiration from Roy trying to keep up with Glen, but he can’t. And Glen is playing a 12 string. It is only about 2 and a half minutes.

Glen Campbell & Roy Clark Play “Ghost Riders in the Sky” - YouTube

Here’s Belew getting some rather extreme pitch bends in Laurie Anderson’s concert movie Home of the Brave:

Vini Reilly is someone who manages to sound like no-one else, is it rhythm? is it lead? Yes, and no. Brian Eno is a big fan and you can hear why.

With both Belew and Zappa being mentioned, I was reminded of the widely-told story of Bowie recruiting Belew to join his band, and how Zappa responded.

Glen Cambell-William Tell Overture.

Tuck Andress has an amazing percussive style of playing. Seeing him live was a real treat.

Jazz guitarist Mimi Fox is another astonishingly good guitarist. Her sophisticated use of harp harmonics is wonderful to hear. Watching her play in person was mesmerizing.

Wes Montgomery :+1:

Hmm, got to say Zappa. His guitar solo on Stink-Foot has no equal, IMO.

I have to mention Joni Mitchell, though. A fantastic and underrated guitar player. Came up with her own tunings.

I loved his (edit: reply to Adrian Belew post, stupid hamsters) 2000s solo Side 1, Side 2, Side 3 albums, with the added bonus of Les Claypool on bass, if you are looking for more of his great stuff…