Guitarists: Whom Do You Admire Most As A Player?

I was going to mention him. He plays amazingly well with the flailing-arm thing, although not always, in my opinion. I prefer the steadiness seen in this video from 1979. Notice he plays with a pick in the first part and fingerstyle in the second (sounds like Billy Joel’s “Just the Way You Are”). Gotta laugh at the corny camera effect at about 5:00.

Among current guitarists, Molly Tuttle (mentioned in the OP) and Julian Lage.

From the past, well, so many, but I’ve been listening to a lot of Grant Green lately.

I first heard Campbell play that piece back in the 1970s, when he had a studio recording of it as the B-side to his hit “Southern Nights.” Seeing him play it makes it even more impressive.

These are the types of threads that remind me just how old the SDMB community is. If you were to judge based solely on responses to all these types of “Most talented/Favorite all time” you would think noone born after 1980 contributed to the arts as much as or were more talented than anyone from the 70’s or earlier.

Doc Watson and Tony Rice. Doc specialized in playing traditional fiddle tunes on the Guitar.

I think it’s partly the age of the SDMB’ers, it’s partly that it takes some time to establish a reputation as a great guitar player, and it’s partly that guitar-based music isn’t nearly as big a part of this century’s music scene.

For something a bit different: Robert Randolph on the steel, playing Voodoo Child. This guy is really something to see live.

I’m only a wanna-be guitar player, but if I could play like anyone it would be Michael Hedges.

Eddie Van Halen asked for a guitar lesson from Glen Campbell. Alice Cooper claims Campbell was one of the five best guitar players out there at the time (they were very close friends).

There have been some other examples linked earlier but I think this shows Campbell at his best:

Different but also great would have to be Les Paul:

Or:

Another great: Paco de Lucia

Billy Strings (mentioned upthread a couple of times) has May beat. When he plays electric, he often plays a guitar his grandfather made in the prison workshop when he (the grandfather, not Billy) was locked up for a while.

While I don’t consider myself a real guitarist, and I have a hard time narrowing down who I’d want to be when I grow up, the first thing that popped into my head when I read the thread title was Larry Carlton’s solo on Kid Charlemagne.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing as I read through the replies. Been trying to get back here and conversate but been busy.

I endorse this reply. Slash is awesome. That Velvet Revolver song (and video) “Fall To Pieces” is a genius guitar lick/hook, and the video is simply heartbreaking given what happened to Scott Weiland later IRL.

Heck yeah, I remember reading about that online in Billy’s FB group that he was breaking it out for the “Billy and The Kids” shows with Kreutzmann and the rest at Red Rock. I watched a part of that show, very beautiful to look at and listen to, I’m just not huge on the Dead’s music, but I like it better when Billy Strings plays it, just like with bluegrass.

Cancels subscription to the FoieGrasIsEvil newsletter.

:smiley:

LOL. I mean that in the nicest possible way. It’s more about trope avoidance with me.

Alas, as a ‘Non-Guitarist’, I am a Wretched Outcast with no right to post in this thread!

Steve Howe

Was listening to some Gary Moore tonight. Thought you’d all want to know.

Just admit you don’t know anything about older Jeeps and BMW’s and we’ll call it even.

:grinning: