Guns and ammo - separate storage

I commend all of you who lock up your firearms and teach your children firearm safety. I never want what happened to Josh and his family to happen to another child and family.

As the OPer, I’ll say that this comes closest to answering my question. Makes a lotta sense (if you remember to lock/unlock).

Statistically, I think you’re right. The vast, overwhelming majority of people will back down. It’s the one that won’t that I’m prepared for.

I’ve been trying to track down a cite for you for days, which is rather difficult because, as we agree, it doesn’t happen often at all. I did find the following:

Got that from someone’s blog: Link

Unfortunately, the source he was quoting, tribnet.com, has apparently taken the story off their website.

Here’s the text of a Houston Chronicle article dated May 4, 2002 (also, unfortunately, unavailable on their website, although I haven’t tried the Wayback machine)

Here’s a story from the Albuquerque Journal, dated April 19, 2002:

Bolding mine.

I don’t like being unable to give more than that, but that’s about as good as it got during my search.

For Karl, my gun collection is mostly locked in a safe (all of my rifles, and all but one of my shotguns is in the safe.) One over-under 12 guage is loaded with 00 Buck and kept in a closet in the living room. My pistols are all locked away, except for my carry gun, a Walther P99 in .40 S&W, which is either always on me, or on the nightstand while I sleep. Magazine loaded, round chambered, spare magazine in the carrier beside it. Being striker-fired, there’s no hammer, but the gun is effectively in “double action” all the time.

It should be noted, though, that children are only here once every 5 years or so, and in those (rare) situations, ALL firearms are locked in the safe, with the exception of my P99, which is either on me, or locked in my bedroom with me.

And to echo an earlier poster, I don’t see my CHL (or 2A right, for that matter) as a license to kill. I just remember the big shooting at Luby’s in Killeen a few years back, which was the reason Texas passed a CHL law, and shudder to think that it could have been me and my family.