Guys, what "chick flick" do you secretly love?

My girlfriend and I have a theory that every macho on the outside guy has at least one “chick flick” that they secretly love and would watch any time. For instance, if I found “Clueless” on TV somewhere, I’d be stuck on the couch for the next 2 hours.

I know we’re talking gross generalizations here, so I’ll define a chick flick as a generic romantic comedy or drama that, in your opinion, was made for and is marketed to the female masses.

Alternately, if you’ve ever been out with a bunch of your buds and the topic of “greatest movies ever” came out, was there a movie that popped in your head that you weren’t comfortable sharing?

“So, what’s yours, sycorob?”
“Um, Aliens. Yeah. Or Predator, that was cool. And of course T2.”

I have to confess, in general I like romantic comedies. None come to mind that I secretly like, but that’s because I’m not ashamed that I like 'em.

Definitely “About a Boy”. My GF was amazed that I liked it, but I find it hilarious, though not really for the chick flick-icity of it. When the woman tries to commint suicide and he is driving behind the ambulance thinking to himself, “I was awful, absolutely awful, but driving fast behind the ambulance was brilliant,” I just roll with laughter. It touches me in a special place, a cold callous cynical special place, but one nonetheless.

I love Clueless, i never considered a chick flick though. More like a really good teen comedy i guess. Other than that… hmm lets see: I do enjoy Titanic, but in spite of the “I love you Rose!” part and more because of the whole “ship sinking tragedy movie” part.

Most of 'em I find inoffensive. I loved when Harry Met Sally. And that one with Marisa Tomei in Italy was OK. And there was that one with Jennifer Aniston and Kevin Bacon, that was all rightl.

I didn’t like My Big Fat Greek Wedding though.

I also loved Clueless (a re-telling of “Emma” of course) but also never thought of it as a chick-flick.

Whereas I also like “Sleepless in Seattle” which is certainly a chick flick, although a self-referring one as in the scene where the guys recalll crying all the way through “The Dirty Dozen”. I hate to admit this but I usually have a quick blub in a couple of places in “Sleepless…”

I love “An Officer and a Gentleman”. Richard Gere and Debra Winger had such chemistry together that I find it hard to believe the rumor that they didn’t really like each other on set. And of course who can forget the Oscar-winning role of Louis Gossett, Jr. as Gunnery Sgt. Emil Foley. LMAO when they spoofed it on Wayne’s World 2 with Mike Myers as Foley and Chris Farley as Mayo. Eminently quotable and has one of the all time greatest endings of all time. Never fails to make my day.

flight, I totally forgot “About a Boy” - great movie.

A friend of mine also likes Sleepless in Seattle - I can’t really remember it, so I may need to watch it again.

jjimm, you got any titles there?

Do Breakfast at Tiffany’s or Roman Holliday count as chick flicks?

I typically enjoy the romantic-comedy genre as well. Faves off the top of my head: French Kiss, You’ve Got Mail, Amelie.

Heck, I even like Terms of Endearment and Same Time Next Year. I go for the tension in movies like that.

I heartily second About a Boy, though I didn’t think of it as a “chick flick”. Enjoyed My Big Fat Greek Wedding, too.

I have a huge soft spot for Where The Boys Aren’t

I enjoy romantic comedies, although I’ve got to say that Sleepless in Seattle is one of my least favorites.

RC’s (or otherwise chick flicks) that I really like:

Titanic
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days - GREAT RC for guys
My Best Friend’s Wedding

“Terms of Endearment,” no doubt. When Debra Winger’s character has to say goodbye to her little boys, I’m reaching for the box of tissue.

I also like “The Way We Were.”

I like a few of the ones mentioned by everyone so far. I also enjoyed My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Same Time Next Year. But the one chik-flik that I like is Grease. I’ll sit through that each and every time its on.

I thought About a Boy and High Fidelity were great, but I’ve always thought of those Nick Hornby books/movies as being more like romantic comedies for guys. And I never thought of Amelie as a chick flick either. I guess I was hoping that the subtitles make it a bit more intellectual.

On the other hand, Sleepless in Seattle and You’ve Got Mail were definitely chick flicks that I liked. And one of my favorite movies of all time is Shakespeare In Love, although not for the romance so much as the dizzying language.

Thelma and Louise.

'Cause it’s got fights and at least one big fireball explosion …

But it’s still a chick flick, right?

No secret about it, Educating Rita is one of my all time favorite flicks. Because of the subtle and not dominant romantic subplot, most guys just aren’t going to go for this film. I find it to be one of the most enduring (and endearing) films from the 1980s.

In a wholly different vein, Boys Don’t Cry is another movie that not many guys are going to go see. It concerns the life and brutal death of Brandon Teena, a young Nebraska woman who passed herself off as a teenage boy. John Lotter was sentenced to life in prison and Philip De Vine was sentenced to death in the slayings of Teena and a couple who had tried to shelter the teen. After a Christmas time rape, the assailants returned on New Year’s Eve, killing Teena and those who had provided protection.

If you have ever wondered about what it is like to be gender confused and the sort of pressures and threats a person must deal with, see this movie. If you do not feel the least bit of rage after seeing the film, you may not be human.

I’m a softie for Sleepless in Seattle and Ever After. And I love Disney films, including the “girly” ones such as Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella.

And I thought Titanic was hysterical. Although that’s probably not what we’re thinking of…

Defending Your Life, if it counts…

hrh

Sabrina, both the original with Humphrey Bogart and Audrey Hepburn and the remake with Harrison Ford and Julia Ormond. If either come on, I’m watching.

To expand somewhat into musicals, I’m also a sucker for My Fair Lady. Audrey Hepburn all around. (nods to Michael Ellis)