Guys, what "chick flick" do you secretly love?

If Fried Green Tomatoes is on, I’ll be watching it.

I concur with cmkeller on How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, there is a lot of stuff in there guys can relate too.

As teen/chick flicks go, I have 10 Things I Hate About You in both my DVD and music soundtrack collections.

This reminds me of another one – Steel Magnolias.

Great call on How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Saw that recently, and got a huge kick out of it.

The Joy Luck Club.

Sure it’s a chick flick. But it’s an epic chick flick.

OK, since other people are 'fessing up here, I’m really going to lay myself open to mockery: I cried at the end of Strictly Ballroom.

Oh, the freedom!

Nicole Holofcener makes wonderful movies. Walking and Talking and Lovely and Amazing may both be considered “chick flicks,” but I’ll sit through them any time.

A small shout-out to Return to Me, the one with Minnie Driver getting a heart transplant from David Duchovny’s dead wife. Sounds like it should be awful, but it works nicely despite itself. Don’t know if I’d go out of my way to see it again, but I could think of worse ways to spend my time.

My top pick in this category is Sex and Lucia. Simply brilliant. It’s about a woman who has a torrid affair with a writer, and then embarks on a journey to figure out who he really was. Read my review here.

I liked The Wedding Singer, My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Serendipity.

I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for the movie Cousins.

Of those mentioned above, Educating Rita and An Officer and A Gentleman are both very good.

I hate all chick flicks. I like most romantic comedies.

For me, the difference between the two is that romantic comedies have something witty to say about relationships and people in general. Chick flicks are filled with sappy drivel and are mostly transcripts of a comedian’s gender stand-up routine (with the jokes omitted). Actually, I think everything about that hideous genre is represented by that scene from Family Guy where Peter is watching Lifetime:

Woman #1: What’s the one thing men are afraid of?

Together: Commitment!

Woman #2: You’re my third best friend in the whole world.

Woman #1: Third best?

Woman #2: Yeah, after Ben and Jerry!

Announcer: Lifetime. Television for Idiots.

That said, some of my favorite (or at least most enjoyable) movies might be considered romantic comedies: Rushmore, Annie Hall, Reality Bites, Ghost World (maybe more of an intelligent teen comedy), Grosse Point Blank, Better Off Dead, High Fidelity.

Striktly Ballroom counts as my embarrassing film enjoyment secret. Not just a chick flick, but a chick flick about ballroom dancing. The character portrayal in the film was so good though that I enjoyed it thoroughly.

The Cutting Edge. I think any figure-skating flick is by definition a chick flick.

I agree with sleeping that romantic comedies are date movies, not chick-flicks. Practical Magic, Charade, Father Goose, Kate and Leopold are all women’s favorites that still have a lot of appeal for guys because they’re either very sexy or they have male characters that guys can relate to.

The Spitfire Grill is an example of a hard-core chick-flick that I thought was very good. http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0117718/

Bend it Like Beckham, Love and Basketball are two good sports-chick-flicks that I enjoyed. The Tango Lesson is really well done, but for some reason there hasn’t been a DVD release in the USA.

I just rented the hard-to-find Bossa Nova(2000), which has great music, is set in Rio and stars Amy Irving. http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0180837/

I think the Douglas Sirk melodramas of the 50s would be considered “chick flicks”, but I think they’re magnificent, particularly All That Heaven Allows.

Other faves that would probably be considered “chick flicks”: Fassbinder’s The Bitter Tears of Petra van Kant, Satyajit Ray’s The Big City, Victor Sjostrom’s The Wind, John Sayles’ Passion Fish, Jacques Rivette’s Celine and Julie Go Boating, Krzysztof Kieslowski’s The Double Life of Veronique, Pedro Almodovar’s What Have I Done to Deserve This?, Kenji Mizoguchi’s Sisters of the Gion, Karoly Makk’s Love and Rouben Mamoulian’s Queen Christina.

The list is long, there has to be ten dozen chick flicks that I like. My favorite of them, which happens to be in my personal top ten, is Sense and Sensibility. I also likeYou’ve Got Mail and Serendipity

Another vote for When Harry Met Sally, and I’d also like to nominate The Sound of Music. Clueless was very good as was Legally Blonde. The sequel wasn’t worth doodily squat.

I thought My Big Fat Greek Wedding was quite entertaining and I guess so did many others. That movie ran for about 8 months or so which is unbelievable these days.
I like Hugh Grant for the most part and so I will also nominate Notting Hill.

Dude! Those movies rocked!
Meg Ryan movies are alright I guess. I like romantic comedies as long as they are funny. Serious Lifetime romantic melodrama I can do without.

That’s ok. My girlfriend thinks ‘Dude Where’s My Car’ is the greatest movie ever.

Muriel’s Wedding - VERY funny movie.

I can’t believe I forgot to mention As Good As It Gets, certainly one of the five best romantic comedies of all time.

I like alot of the ones listed above like clueless or O&G or As good as it gets.

There is one movie that I haven’t actually seen yet but I secretly want to is “How to lose a guy in ten days” I saw a short clip of this movie and laughed my ass off becuase it was like “Yep! all my ex’s have pulled that shit on me before!”
BTW sycorob now that I’ve shared this with you; no direct eye contact for at least the next six weeks.:wink:

My wife and I got to see the upcoming Love Actually at a preview screening last week. It’s pretty good; Hugh Grant is great. It’s kind of overwritten, as is to be expected since Richard Curtis (writer of Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill, and others) wrote it for his directorial debut, so there’s obviously a bunch of stuff missing they had to cut for length. But it’s still an interesting departure from the typical romantic-comedy formula (it’s the Short Cuts of romcoms), and it’ll appeal to a mainstream audience, men and women.