Hahahahaha! Hungarian anti-Semite politician surprised to learn he's Jewish!

If there was a game show called “Which of You is More Ashamed of the Other?”, this guy and his family would make ideal contestants.

Let’s add slander to your list of sins unless you can find a post of mine where I hero worshipped terrorists? You might at least be able to give me a cite for that? I’ve been posting here for 5 years so it’s possible I posted something like that and don’t recall but it doesn’t sound like something I would have posted, unless in jest. And you do your old trick of still not providing a cite when called up on your bullshit. You can ask anyone else here if it’s my style to “disrupt” threads. You’re attacking me instead of providing an adequate cite for your claims. “Something someone once told me one time fadó fadó” doesn’t really cut it and you fucking know it.

And just to be clear Lust4life, even if I vociferously claimed to support the IRA or any other terrorist group on this board, something I don’t believe I’ve ever actually done, you’d STILL require a cite for the claims you’ve made in this (and other) threads with regard to Irish history.

Everyone – personal attacks on each other are completely out of line in MPSIMS. Knock all of that off immediately.

Lust4Life – you’re making very strong claims about what “everyone knows” about Irish history without providing any evidence of them. The fact that one or more people you have met IRL have told you things do not make those things true – but even if true, one or more incidents do not demonstrate widespread practice, let alone organized persecution of the sort you’re claiming. Yes, you do need an objective cite to back up those claims.

And, back to a general comment – the Irish situation is not directly parallel, for the reasons dealt with already, so if anyone wants to discuss it further, start a new thread, preferably in Great Debates where it belongs.

twickster, MPSIMS moderator

Twicks,

I found this thread through ATMB and - honestly - I have no issue with you not knowing these details because you are not a denizen of these sceptered isles. But I promise you that asking Lust4Life to justify these claims is a bit like asking an Italian American to justify the claim that there was prejudice against them in the 1920s. It is 100% known to anyone who knows anything about the time and place and honestly An Gadai’s requests for a cite do give a weird feeling in the back of ones throat. I’m not saying it’s on the level of holocaust denial but it’s really, really, REALLY well known. Promise.

Sorry, it is not. My Dad was born and raised in Ireland and used to tell me tons of stories about Irish history, and I never heard any stories about it. He died about 10 years ago at age 79, so he certainly qualified as an old folk. And to tell you the truth, he was a pretty big bullshitter, and even if he told me such a story, I wouldn’t automatically believe it.

It is never inappropriate to ask for a cite for something that is not universal knowledge – and this doesn’t even come close.

I think bringing up the notion that my requests for a cite are in the same ball park as holocaust denial is a fucking shitty move. You’re welcome to post some cites yourself to back up lust4life’s claims (in another thread as per twickster’s request), that’s all I’ve been asking and all I’ve received is insinuations that I’m a terrorist sympathiser and akin to a holocaust denier.

If it’s really well known, it shouldn’t be hard to find a cite for it.

Simple Linctus, calling An Gadaí practically a Holocaust denier is damned close to a personal insult.

An Gadaí, calling Simple Linctus’s comment a shitty fucking move doesn’t do much to de-escalate things.

I’m trying to leave this thread open, but if y’all don’t knock it off I’m going to have to close it. If you want to talk about Irish history, start a new thread. If you want to insult each other, take it to the Pit.

Good thing I didn’t do any such thing then, isn’t it? In fact I said precisely the opposite.

You can certainly read something into the fact that he misled you like this to make you think that though. Like I said earlier: mod manipulation.

Look, I’m not going to say you’re a fucking clown who uses comparisons to make ad hominem arguments against people you’re avoiding debating, but it’s akin to that.
Own what you’re saying, Bozo.

I find it very hard to respond to this in the “good faith” that I apparently should show it (that is to say not using four letter words) but

oh ffs can’t be bothered.

anyone can read what I said and get it

p.s. regarding “cites” I did two seconds on google and found 1969 Northern Ireland riots - Wikipedia - that’ll do and I could find shitloads in five minutes if I really wanted to. But I don’t because EVERYONE WHO KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THIS KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED.

Which has about zero relevance to what Lust4life said, try again.

Otaku I have explained the situation in the pit here: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=15413177#post15413177

Simple Linctus, you’re new here, so apparently you’re still getting the hang of things. Given that you managed to break about three rules at once, however, I’m going to go ahead and give you an official warning, for:

1. Personal insults against An Gadaí,
  2. Personal insults against OtakuLoki, and
  3. Ignoring moderator instructions.

I encourage you to start behaving according to community standards around here if you’re hoping to continue to post at the SDMB on any kind of ongoing basis.

I am issuing a warning for personal insults, and for failure to follow moderator instructions, which were that the Ireland hijack should be taken to its own thread.

I am closing this thread, since clearly it’s not going to get back on track.