Hahahahaha! Hungarian anti-Semite politician surprised to learn he's Jewish!

But some of his best friends are Irish! Most of the early nationalists like the United Irishmen has a leadership that was almost exclusively Protestant.

Some data points:

Russian hate monger Vladimir Zhirinovsky, who caused Pat Buchanan to disavow him, found out he was Jewish (albeit paternal). He responded by continuing to be a dick. He runs the Liberal Democratic Party of Russia, which makes the names of parties in Australia and Japan seem truthful.

This couple found out they were Jewish. They didn’t just repudiate neo-nazism, they actually became religious Jews. And not Reform or something, but whole hog(:dubious:) Orthodoxy.

He hates Jews, and he is at least 1/4 Jewish. And not just any Jewish, Holocaust survivor Jewish–someone who survived the logical extension of his own beliefs. How is that not different?

I could give you their names, but as you know them in real life, AND know who I’m talking about anyway, it would be pretty pointless.

Love your shop !

Except that isn’t what was claimed. What was claimed is that he is Jewish, which only makes sense if you buy into the notion that matrilineal descent is more important than beliefs or culture in determining Jewishness. That is, as I said above, deeply insensitive, unless the moron in question preached it before his own descent came to light.

Now we go around the mulberry bush, questioning whether it makes any more sense to be a quarter Jewish than it does to be a quarter Mormon or a quarter Muslim, and never once getting into the only question that’s actually relevant to how funny this is: What the moron’s stated opinions about matrilineal Jewishness were before all this came to light.

If you want to make the point that it’s especially stupid to be hateful towards people you’re related to, remember that all humans are closely related. We all come from the same stock.

As per usual, you miss the point. I want a cite for the “at the time of Irish independance when Protestants and Brit descendants were being ethniclly cleansed, either by expelling them with just the clothes that they stood up in, or in the other way.” part of your statement. And I doubt I know who you’re talking about in real life. Dunno what me shop has to do with it either.

I was told that by some old boys in Galway, and a lovely lady in Dundalk.

You being incredibly passionate about your nations history and culture, I’m surprised that your apparently ignorant about something that the older Irish people mention quite freely.

And often.

So another claim pulled out of your arse. Grand so, just checking.

He’s an awful idiot. Maybe this will sort him out. How is he Jewish though? He has Jewish ancestry but he isn’t Jewish. Jewish people might consider him Jewish but if he doesn’t then his choice should be respected (i.e. he is a Protestant with Jewish ancestry).

There was certainly some harassment and outright assaults against members of the Church of Ireland during and after the Anglo-Irish war (mostly in rural areas) but there was most certainly no systematic ethnic cleansing in Ireland after said war.

Were they even a different ethnic group? From what I understand the Anglo-Irish gradually became more integrated and likely had mixed ancestry. I don’t know if many Scots-Irish were in the Republic. Calling it ethnic cleansing seems a bit cheap.

Well, on the other hand the Yugslavian Wars had talk of ethnic cleansing, although Serbs/Croats/Bosniaks are almost the same, aside from religion and culture.

They were insofar as members of the Church of Ireland were deemed to be part of the ascendency and thus different from the more “Gaelic” Irish. The actual number of Protestants in Ireland certainly did decline after the war through emigration, inter-marriage etc. (and many likely did leave as Ireland became more and more Catholic) but aside from local intimidation issues there was nothing at all like Yugoslavia.

Well no actually, a part of Irish history that is well known to older Irish people, and for that matter, to many Irish people of all ages.

And was related to me by some of those very people.

(Perhaps it would make you happier if I’d got them to post it on the internet and THEN used them as a cite rather then quoting them directly.

(A rather absurd methodology under any circumstances)

But you’re not actually interested in Irish history are you An Gadai ?

You’re not here to make any relevant point (If you are then feel free to do so)

You’re actually here to try and stymie anyone who posts anything other then effusive flattery about Ireland and all things Irish.
Though its not surprising from a self confessed( on these very boards ) hero worshipper of Irish terrorists who have killed, maimed and tortured, so many Irish people for (for them, an unwanted, irrelevant to the 21st c,) “cause” .

I love Ireland and the Irish.

The murderers and torturers that you so respect and admire, do not represent them.

Not now, not ever.

Try making some points in your posts, might make a nice change from merely trying to dsrupt threads/posts?posters, that make you feel inadequate.
Ireland is for the Irish people, not terrorist scum.

My mother went to a new optometrist with her post-vitreous detachment last week. She has a very Hungarian last name, he has a very Jewish one. He asks her about this story point blank as she was leaving his office. She had never heard of it before, and I thought the whole thing was rather accusatory, as though we were somehow accessories to neo-nazism. It’s funny in a twisted sort of way. :smiley:

If you want to make a dig, at least have the courage to address it to me by name.

Cowardice makes for poor irony.
As for your “point” .

You appear to be yet another "instant expert"courtesy of the Internet, who has no idea about what you’re on about.

Otherwise you would have known that the United Irishmen and Wolf Tone were way back in the 1790s, and have no historical or logical connection with the events happening post revolution.

Or the people committing the acts.

The multiple of anecdote is not data.

If some kind of ethnic cleansing really happened, then there are names and dates associated with them. Numbers, too. Citations would prevent folks from saying you (alternatively, the folks who relayed stories to you) just made things up or misrepresented individual incidents as some kind of organized effort.

So far, you have provided none of these.

Let me see if I understand… his grandparents are Jewish which means his own mother is Jewish and he kinda did not know about that? And not just any but Holocaust survivors.

Yeah, laugh is in order but on a totally different account.

Is that It ?
Is that the honestly the best that you can come up with ?
and ****heres an idea, why not actually post a point !

Or in your case copy out some arithmetic from your homework book and post it so that we all think that you’re really intelligent and grown up.

(Though it hasn’t worked up to date )

Punqladds, yet another" instant Internet expert" posting about something that he/she neither knows or cares about, but enjoys disrupting threads .

Why don’t you try more posting points, and less showing off ?
At least that way you might earn yourself a little self respect.

Cheerio don’t let me keep you !

I am not an expert, nor do I claim to be. I have not said that you are a liar, nor do I claim that your sources are liars. My point is that you have stated something as fact but have not backed it up. That you have turned to insulting other posters implies that you have no other evidence, and either can not or will not put in the work to assure yourself, much less others, that you’re relaying the truth.

Insulting someone’s manliness? How brave of you.
When there are only two actors present, and I am obviously not directly replying to An Gadaí, then the reply is very obviously about you. It should not be necessary to mention you by name, and no insult should be implied by not doing so. Just as it isn’t necessary to continually mention someone’s name in a conversation so that they aren’t confused that you are talking to some stranger across the room. His was also the most recent post, and much less to quote.

I am not an expert nor do I claim to be, nor is someone who “met some old Irish people who said this once so it’s a fact that I don’t have to back up.” Anecdotes are fine, but you can’t hinge your whole argument on it (which was about Hungary?). Nobody is denying the gist of what you say, I don’t think, just the way you go about it.

The fact that I used “United Irishmen” specifically and not “some Irish dudes from 10 or 1000 years ago” suggests that I know exactly what time period we are talking about. If I said “Saint Stephen I was also Hungarian,” it is a good assumption he was from a long time ago, and not a contemporary of Szegedi.

You want someone more recent? C.S. Parnell was a few decades before. Newer? Roger Casement (later converted to RoC I guess?). Robert Erskine Childers, as well as his son, Fianna Fáil 4th President. Douglas Hyde, first President. Sam Maguire.

I don’t like that his change is not due to compassion for others, but more of a desire to save his own skin. Still, I hope he is serious and learns an important lesson, Saturday Morning cartoon style.

I wonder if his relatives weren’t strongly biting their tongues when he was going about all the antisemitism.