hair to a wigmaker?

Can I make money selling my hair to a wigmaker?

You may not be able to sell your hair to a wig maker, but there is an organization called Wigs for Kids that makes wigs for children going through Chemotherapy that you can donate your hair to.

www.wigsforkids.org

No money, but isn’t good karma even better?

http://www.locksoflove.org/

"Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children across the U.S. under age 18 suffering from long-term medical hair loss.

“We meet a unique need for children throughout the United States by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The prostheses we provide help to restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers.”

Also, Locks of Love. But now I’m wondering, if wigmakers prefer rarely-washed hair, why do these charities work? Have wigmaking techniques advanced in the last 25 years to make First World hair useful again? And if so, can you now sell your hair to a wigmaker? Sound’s like Cecil’s column needs a quarter-century update. :slight_smile:

Yes! I was just about to post that I myself have sent my hair to Locks of Love, a wonderful organization! I hope the person who sent in that question does the same, instead of looking for money for it.

I don’t think we have a right to make a profit on unearned gifts. I regularly give away my hair and blood, and am registered to give away my bone marrow if the need arises, as well as all of my body parts once I no longer need them. I am thankful for my good health and am happy to share. I cannot believe this person is looking for a profit! Sorry for the irrelevant rant.

re: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_270a.html

I looked it up on the web and found a site that posts ads for people wanting to sell their hair. According to the ‘comments from sellers,’ some people here in the 1st world get $hundreds for their hair. (it didn’t say that they made a wig out of that hair, though. Maybe they made a voodoo doll or something)

Check the link for yourself: http://www.hairwork.com/bidhere.htm

Perhaps the technology of wigmaking has improved since the column was written in 1978.

about 4 years ago, i sold my hair on ebay for about $240. it was pretty long and blonde, and i advertised it (truthfully) as never bleached, rarely blown dry, always conditioned, and from a non-smkoking home. i used the money to buy books for college. really.

they guy who bought it said he and his wife were collectors. i still don’t know what they did with it.

I would agree except health care organizations do make a profit from your donated body parts.

True. I’ll admit my original post wan’t very well thought out. I apologize if I came across as snooty or narky. I am actually surprised no one jumped on that. Ethical issues are rarely binary.

Back to the original topic, I recall reading on the Locks of Love site, though I can’t find the location now, that in the process of cleaning the hair and weaving it into the wig, they send it through some pretty harsh-sounding chemical processes. I would think that any waxy coating on hair that is so delicate as to be harmed by frequent washing with shampoo would be obliterated by the stuff that the wigmakers use! Hmmmm…

Well I am happy everyone mentioned the charities. I would rather donate my hair to a place that makes wigs for cancer patients then to sell it.

I agree with your sentiment exactly, but a lot of the things we make a profit on are unearned gifts: good looks, athletic ability and intelligence, for example. It takes work to develop this gifts, but they are still, to some degree, a winfall.

And, you did work hard to take care of that much hair. The fact that you were willing to give it away makes your gift all the more charitable.

Hm you’ve got a point, but good looks, athletic ability, and intelligence all require cultivation to be turned into profitable assets. Hair, on the other hand, just requires waiting for it to grow. Of course you could make the argument that it requires a healthy lifestyle and good care to maintain, but those are things that you already derive benefit from yourself, without the additional monetary gain on top of it.

Thanks. I am surprised no one came up with any Monty Python jokes. Can we have your liver then? :smiley:

Anyway I think I overreacted and again I want to apologize for being so sanctimonious in my first post. It really chapped my butt that this person had the gall to open the letter with “A new sense of social responsibility inspired by a new job has led me to make the crucial moral decision…” and then look for a profit from her hair! social responsibility? morality? Harumph!

Did you notice, Arvay, that the column was written in 1978? I really don’t think “Locks of Love” existed back then (otherwise, I’m sure Cecil would have suggested it). It looks like the only thing that you could do when you wanted to cut off all your hair in 1978 is let it fall to the beauty shop floor. I have to say that I wasn’t being all altruistic when I donated my hair. I was ready to get rid of it, I got a free haircut, and I got to see that all that hair didn’t go to waste. Had I not known that I could donate it, I probably would have looked into selling it–we all read that O. Henry story in high school, after all.

However, if you do want to sell your hair, I found a website. World of Wigs will buy your hair for $3 to $5 per ounce. However, they “currently have a surplus of hair, and are not purchasing hair at this time.” I’m not sure you could buy a watch chain for that, though.

I found this other site which reveals why First World hair isn’t worth much–wigmakers often “farm” their hair.

So, it looks like it’s not just that First World hair is too clean (in fact, since it is often not protected from pollution, it may be too dirty)–the condition is just too random when compared to these hair farms. From that same site: “To process an individuals hair, say from the United States, can cost as much as processing 25 heads of hair from a control group.”

So, there you go.

Well now we know!

Thanks. You must be really good at your Googling.