Half full or empty glass?

Hi there,

It’s said that those who look for imperfection are always destined to not come away empty-handed and yet from a more optimistically focused person they will say there is enough wrong in the world and choose to look for the good in people… My question is… where’s the balance either way? Can one who sees only bad find good and one who prefers to see good see bad? Or is it that everything is obvious to either one of these types of people and they come away with their own conclusions? What is the answer to this? Is there a way to be both happy andfair? How can a person be wrong in the eyes of one who wants only to see goodness and vice versus?

Isn’t the solution to recognise your initial feeling and moderate the ‘second thought’ accordingly? I’m a half-empty person by nature, but I know it and try hard not to assume that my first thought is the ‘right’ one or the one that I should act on. To be happy and fair means to acknowledge one’s mental bias and not accept that feeling/interpretation on face value.

The glass is never half empty unless you are in a vacuum; think about it.

Now see if that makes different sense of the half full/half empty analogy. (it does to me).

But Mangetout, if the glass was in a vacuum, the liquid would boil away immediately…

(Heh. Just fooling with ya. I know what you mean, actually. Good way of looking at it.)

For me, if the glass is half empty, I think, “Almost time to order another beer.”

Who said it was half full of liquid?

Glad you got it Ferrous; in case anybody else is scratching their head; the glass that is half full of water is also half full of air; neither of which we can survive without.

Vive la difference.

The op reminds me vaguely of my attitude toward Star Trek movies, which I routinely go to on their opening weekends. I expect to be disappointed and thus when the rare good scene or piece of dialogue comes along, I’m pelasantly surprised.

“What’s with this glass? I ordered a cheeseburger!”

Let’s see if I can further this… and you guys I know you can answer anyway you choose but stop making my great stretch for philosphical enlightenment into a science experiment or a menu item :7 It’s figure of speech and the best way I could draw attention to my question… So Crusoe are you asking me or telling me? :P… nah, I know you’re doing the Socrates line of questioning I get ya :)… What I’m asking is… if you only see the good in people -at what extent of wrongness or evil does another have to demonstrate for such a thing to register in one of these people’s minds? Or to the jaded types (which more plentifully occupy this forum, lol)… if you are skeptical, critical and sarcastic of most everything you encounter in life, how good, beautiful or smelling of paradise would something have to be for you to see that. Not just looking but seeing…* getting it* and not judging it but openly accepting this situation?

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I see the glass as too big.
-George Carlin

It would make me wonder who the hell had been drinking out of my glass.

But seriously, I’m actually a half full kind of guy. One should be grateful for what they have and in the case of your own half full glass you should also be grateful what you’ve already been fortunate to have consumed. Especially if the glass started out full of something like a good single malt scotch. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure there is a ‘line’ between seeing and not seeing beauty or wrongness (IMHO, anyway). I don’t know any people who are so far at the extremes of the half-full/empty spectrum that they couldn’t recognise an event or object at the other end.

“Is the glass half-empty or half-full?”
– It depends whether you are emptying it or filling it.

verb. sap.

The glass appears to contain approximately 50% of a clear liquid presumably composed of a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen in a 2-1 ratio, plus trace elements, in a concoction commonly known as “water” and 50% mixture of oxygen, nitrogen, various other gasses and trace elements commonly known as “air.”

The glass, therefore, is full.

OTOH, if the liquid portion of the glass is actually beer, then the glass is half empty, and needs to be rectified at once.:smiley:

Both half-full and half-empty. Trouble is even while we’re debating this the stuff’s evaporating. Clock’s ticking, folks.

“My question is… where’s the balance either way?”

I don’t think I’ve every met anyone who “always” sees the glass “half full or half empty”. It’s very relative to the circumstances in which the person might be in. For example, on Saturdays I dread that I only have Sunday left, although on other ocassions I see the glass half-full. So, I think the “majority” of people do have balance in their views.

The analogy of the half-empty/full glass is interesting from the skeptic’s view: we see the world through the part of the contents we emphasize. :slight_smile:

What would be the criteria for “getting it”? I don’t say that to be a jerk—it is rhetorical—, but if you think that people are limited by their opinions rather than, shall we say, vindicated by them, then it would seem that even calling it a glass is saying too much, nevermind approximating its contents relatively.

On one hand I think you’re right: our perspectives shape our acquisition of further perspectives; but on the other, to use a phrase I’ve heard a time or two, you shouldn’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out.

Thankyou Eris… gees… again with the glass bit… I’m taking it that most people didn’t know how to address the topic so I get air,water and beer responses :slight_smile: lol… I’m lost in my gratitude…:7

I meant “getting it” as in what makes it through the “blinders” Eris, what “sinks *in[I/]”:slight_smile: … Thank you again Crusoe and bhb as well…

But what…is…there…to…get? Your example, here, “if you are skeptical, critical and sarcastic of most everything you encounter in life, how good, beautiful or smelling of paradise would something have to be for you to see that.” My point is, you assert there is a definite situation where no one should disagree about what things are. But why shouldn’t they? Isn’t that looking at the glass one way or the other even here?

I ordered the cheeseburger too!!! As for the glass - well - depends what’s in it!!!

If it’s beer it’s half empty…

BUT if it’s nasty medicine - then it’s STILL half full ;-(

I ordered the cheeseburger too!!! As for the glass - well - depends what’s in it!!!

If it’s beer it’s half empty…

BUT if it’s nasty medicine - then it’s STILL half full ;-(