Happy 93rd Birthday, MORT SAHL!

Belated, but oh well… Of course, he’s mostly known for revolutionizing stand-up comedy (before him was vaudeville, burlesque, and silly mother-in-law jokes), writing for JFK’s Presidential campaign, or being an investigator for Jim Garrison in the only trial for JFK’s murder, implicating the US government, but he acted in a dozen movies, too.

If you met him, please share… Or if you’ve heard his stand-up, interviews, etc… This is probably the only place that will garner a reply, since most people aren’t aware of him unfortunately.

And Will Rogers.

Until now I didn’t realize what your user name meant: Mort Sahl (image links of him). Cool. From wiki, his selected filmography contains:

• In Love and War (1958) as Danny Krieger
  • Richard Diamond, Private Detective (CBS-TV 1959) as Himself
  • All the Young Men (1960) as Cpl. Crane
  • Johnny Cool (1963) as Ben Morrow
  • Doctor, You’ve Got to Be Kidding! (1967) as Dan Ruskin
  • Don’t Make Waves (1967) as Sam Lingonberry
  • hungry i reunion (1981) as Himself, documentary
  • Inside the Third Reich (1982) (TV) as Werner Finck
  • Nothing Lasts Forever (1984) as Uncle Mort
  • Jonathan Winters: On the Ledge (1987) as Himself, TV Special
  • Mort Sahl: The Loyal Opposition (1989) as Himself, American Masters documentary
  • The World of Jewish Humor (1990) as Himself, documentary
  • Looking for Lenny (2011) as Himself, documentary
  • When Comedy Went to School (2013) as Himself, documentary
  • Max Rose (2016) as Jack

I haven’t seen any of those, and I haven’t heard his routines. Do you have any good links to his good comedy routines? I’m always up for good comedy.

Happy belated 93rd to Mort Sahl.

Here is a 1967 routine in which Mort discusses the political spectrum. While it helps to be familiar with such names as Alexei Kosygin and Hubert Humphrey, the gist of the material should be approachable enough for you to decide if Mort is your cup of tea, so to speak.

So he assisted in the prosecution of Lee Harvey Oswalds corpse?

There’s a ton… Here’s a great one

Pt 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hvLYGX7JsQ

I always like to start chronologically… “At Sunset” is considered the first stand-up comedy album with an audience (the link I pasted is considered the “official” since “At Sunset” was stolen and not released until later).

Here is a 2-minute clip, which is filled with so much - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Gd119MI5Y