Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen

we went on a trail ride once when we were on a trip to Texas. That was fun. And pony rides at fairs and stuff. But I have yet to get the oft-promised “invite two friends and have a horse party” deal.

Although at this point, I’m old enough that I should probably just organize and pay for it myself if I want it so badly. … which actually sounds like a good idea. I must research this.

I had a close friend with a birthday about a week before mine. All through high school, we had joint birthday parties. We liked themes.

For Sweet 16, the theme was “Irish Wake.” We made a coffin out of stiff cardboard and used it as a buffet table. Our guests came in costumes that were related to funerals and wakes. My co-birthday celebrant and I did a black and white theme - she made a white outfit to look like the Bride from the Haunted Mansion, and I made a Black Widow costume. I think we even made invitations that were supposed to look like those funeral home cards.

Yes, we were in Drama Club. We really thought we were a scream, and we did have a lot of fun. I haven’t thought of this in years, I’m glad you posted this topic.

The only thing I remember about turning 16 is one of my aunts greeting me with, “Sweet 16 and never been kissed?,” in a half-friendly, half-taunting tone. It was true (well, the not having been kissed part, anyway. Dunno about sweet.) and I did not appreciate it.

Birthdays were never a big deal in my family. I applied for my beginner’s permit on my 16th birthday and remember having the flu at the time. I can’t remember if I got anything else.

My grandmother somehow got it into her head that she was going to throw me some lavish Sweet Sixteen party. Mercifully, we managed to get her to understand – although it did take the entire rest of the family – that I wouldn’t have wanted a fancy coming out even if I had enough friends and acquaintances to invite, which I didn’t.

They got me a Playstation and Final Fantasy VII instead. We probably also ordered pizza or Chinese food, since there was absolutely no way that they were going to tear me away from that little machine long enough to go out for dinner.

It was 1983 (hi EJsGirl!) and I got a 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme as a hand-me-down. Good times ensued.

If you ever have the opportunity to see this show, don’t. Those rotten kids and their stupid parents are nauseating! I think a day or weekend family trip of the kid’s choice would be a nice, but not overdone way to mark the special occassion. What the heck, maybe even leave the little brother at home and take one or two of her friends.

1986: It was a Sunday, so I couldn’t get my permit. I just had a few friends over for pizza and a movie (“Better Off Dead”, if you were wondering).

I had to get my permit the next day, but I think I got my birthday poster above my locker on the previous Friday. I don’t know how popular that tradition was or if it was just at my school. But on your birthday, your friends put a poster above your locker, saying Happy Birthday. Then, throughout the day, people sign it.

delphica wins the thread. You had me at “funeral home cards”. Very morbid!

My mother died the year before, so when I turned 16, my dad gave me the full treatment. Sit-down dinner (on our patio, but catered by my godmother) for 9 of my friends, a beautiful cake, a sugar cube corsage - the whole enchilada. A very fond memory. The memory that sticks the most is when my 13 year old brother turned on the underground sprinkler system right as the gift-opening was commencing :smiley:

VCNJ~

Heh. For my 16th sober b-day, that phrase had become “sweet 16 and never been missed!”

:smiley: