Happy Fucking New Year!

If only I could be saying that seriously… the day started out that way, but didn’t end that way.

I got home from work tonight to find out that my wife had been in a car accident about 30 minutes before I arrived. Nobody hurt (thank goodness), but the minivan is pretty badly damaged, and we won’t know just how bad until Thursday, of course. Until then, we’re effectively stranded and we found out that the insurance policy we thought covered car rentals… doesn’t.

So, no vehicle for us for at least a day or two, and probably starting out the new year about $1000 in the hole.

Woo-fucking-hoo. Many happy bloody returns. I guess it can only get better… right? Right?

Bah.

What a sod of a way to start th’ year, Avalonian! Yes, indeed, I truly hope that things only get better for you and yours from here on in 2003. :frowning:

Damn. Glad your wife is okay, that is what is important most of all.

And, yes… It can only get better.

Wishing you a happy(ier) new year. :slight_smile:

Yes… my wife and daughters (also in the car at the time) being OK is the most important thing. We may not have been able to go anywhere last night, but at least we were all there to watch the Space Needle blow off on TV. I’m thankful for that much.

In my frustration at the major events of last night, I neglected to mention the little things that made it even less enjoyable…

I rode my bicycle to the scene of the accident. There were two police officers there, a man and a woman. The woman wound up being quite compassionate and helpful, so I’ve no beef with her. Unfortunately, my first interaction at the scene was with the male officer.

After leaning my bike against a nearby fence (this is important later), I walked over to the minivan, where my wife was filling out forms. I passed the male officer along the way. I talked to my wife briefly, and made sure her and the girls were OK. I looked at the van… not as bad as I had imagined. The male officer (hereafter referred to as Asshole Cop), approached me and asked me to come over by his car. I did so. I figured he wanted to discuss the accident. However, the first thing he said to me was…

Asshole Cop: “I caught a whiff of marijuana smoke when you passed me. Have you smoked any marijuana tonight?”

I looked at him, shifting gears from concerns about my family and my car. “Um… no.” (True.)

AC: “How did you get here tonight?”

I pointed to my bike leaning over aginst the fence. “I rode my bicycle.”

AC: “And you haven’t had any marijuana?”

Me: “No. I got my wife’s phone call about five minutes after getting home from work, and I came straight here.”

AC: “Where do you work?”

Me: “Downtown Seattle.” At this point I was sort of on his level, though still confused. “You know, I pulled this coat out of a closet, and it smells sort of musty. Is that what you’re --”

AC: “So you’re saying you haven’t smoked any marijuana tonight? Because I’m sure I smelled it.”

Me: “I haven’t had any, no.”

AC: “Well… all right.” He then let me go back to my wife.

I’m sorry but… WhaFUCK?! What does that have to do with anything? I’m a little more concerned about my wife and kids than the Asshole Cop’s allegations of drug use. Why did he feel the need to confront me with that, right away? I wasn’t involved in the accident at all. I suppose my long hair didn’t help his suspicions… it tends to affect some law officers that way. :rolleyes:

I’m also mad at myself, for not being quicker on the draw. I should have told him that the one and only time I’ve had pot was about six months ago, and I didn’t like it even then. I should have asked him what this had to do with the accident my wife had just been in. I should have invited him to give me a urine test, right then and there, to prove the fact that there was no drugs in my system. Grrr, at my own addled brain, which came up with all its snappy comebacks an hour later, after we’d gotten everyone home.

At least the Asshole Cop didn’t come back for more… I hope it doesn’t come back to haunt us later.

Then, as the evening’s festivities were drawing to a close, after the police were gone, my wife and kids had been driven home by a friend, and the tow truck driver was taking our van away, I turned to my bike. There’s a shabbily-dressed man standing over it, pawing it! “Excuse me,” says I in a slightly elevated tone.

The man turns… “Eh-wuh-hhuh?”

He’s drunk too. Great. That didn’t help my ill mood. “That would be my bike.”

“Wuh, uh thuh uh muh buh… abandoned… sumthun…”

At this point I walk to my bike and get on it to go home. “It isn’t.”

And then he decides to get offended (and his speech became more clear for some reason). “Well, I guess not!”

I rode away, shaking my head.

What a night.

Here’s to a happy(ier) new year for everyone! :slight_smile:

You are on the left coast.

You understand that, … right?

Was this the cop who was working the accident or was he just ‘helping his buddy’?

At least your wife was unhurt.

Avalonian, damn shame about your night. On a different note; Howdy Neighbor! (I live on Cap Hill).

Wishing you the best, and glad that no one was hurt.