Harley Quinn (the series)

What do people think of the current season?

I’ve been enjoying it well enough, although I have to admit I think I’ve somewhat lost track of the current plot. Why did Lex have to break into the league of super villains? Isn’t he the CEO, with Ivy working for him? Did she oust him at some point? And I’m having a bit of whiplash from all the plot elements that are currently unresolved, and/or might get retconned due to time travel, etc.

That said, the general humor and fun is as sharp as ever.

Can someone explain the love of HQ? She has no superpowers. Her relationship with Joker is abusive and nasty. (I get that she has several times broken off with him).

Did he? Though at one point he attempted to use Volcana to cause eruptions to raise the ozone layer so that he could zap it with his moon laser, but Nora Fries hid Volcana in the boardroom and activated the security shutters so Lex couldn’t get her. It’s all comic-book logic.

This deserves its own thread. There is already a Joker, which makes her essentially redundant; switching up the gender does not make her an original character (see also Hulk vs She-Hulk).

This does deserve its own thread because the comic book character, the Suicide Squad movies, and this show are three very distinct things. Or maybe two, I’m not really familiar with her comic book self. I didn’t like the Suicide Squad movies.

This show, however, is just really great to me. It’s very funny, very badass/girl power and has a lot of DC easter eggs. It’s Lego Batman + The Venture Bros. It could have been just any DC female character and been just as fun, except HQ has the name recognition now so her name is on the box. The show really is packed with characters and multi-character stories, HQ is almost immaterial. Except we do get to see her kick Joker to the curb, and we get all the Gotham-related characters.

It is okay, but not nearly as well-written and innovative as the first couple of seasons. It is more or less treading water. (But still worth watching.)

Crazy is fun.

As I mentioned above I never saw the original Batman series she originated from, but it seems she was a funny, well-written character with depth and a story arc. Arleen Sorkin’s voice acting was probably a big help.

Original animated Harley Quinn was a character for young girls to enjoy in a field with few female characters.

Comics Harley Quinn switched her up from being in the full-body onsie to something more like the Harley from the first movie. Crazy and sexy is fun and sexy.

The movies? Margot Robbie. Dressed like that. Acting like that. If you don’t understand that, no attempt at an explanation will work.

The new animated series? Hilarious.

Yeah sure, I get that.

Of course.

I liked the stories of Harley trying to be a superhero and Ivy trying to run the Legion of Doom. I thought the final episode with Bane learning to make pasta was pretty lame, though.

Once again, I’m missing something.

There was a quick moment when clayface texted Bane something, and Bane said “ok fine” or something, and then punched Harley (or something like that, it went by very quick).

Did anyone grok what was going on?

And does anyone actually think this is anything other than a big setup of some sort?

Bane had to bribe Mama Macaroni with tickets to Clayface’s show. Clayface said he would provide the tickets if Bane agreed to headbutt Ivy on national TV.

You just described Batman.

I’ve now seen every episode and my general thoughts are:

• Fun show, very cute
  • Season 1 and 2 were better than 3 and 4. Hard to explain, but I can feel it. Not a huge dropoff, but I liked the first two seasons more.
  • The voice of Harley Quinn is excellent. It really does sound similar to how I remember Arleen Sorkin sounding

Good show, will watch season 5 whenever they make it. Is season 5 in production?

Season 2 is still my favourite; I haven’t rewatched Season 3, but I remember liking 3 about as much as 1.

I liked Season 4, but I found the Bane and Nora Fries stories to be fairly weak; same for the “Alfred tries to go to jail” story. And the appearances of King Shark, Clayface and Jim Gordon (some of my favourite characters) seemed kind of like an afterthought.

A lot of strong voice work on the show. Lake Bell, for instance. (Anyone else remember Surface?)

Childrens Hospital is where I remember Lake Bell from. Matt Oberg is also great as Kite Man.

Wait – they’re making a Kite Man spin-off? Hell yeah!

I remember the awesome trailer that was basically a copy of the jaws opening, but instead of the shark eating the girl a giant monster eats the entire boat. Nora Fries turning into a slutty party girl after Mr Freeze sacrificed himself to bring her back is just a hilarious concept and they made the character at least charming enough to pull it off. I love that this show is not afraid to kill off DC heavy hitters.

So there is a Suicide Squad isekai anime in the works…

https://www.animationmagazine.net/2024/03/new-suicide-squad-isekai-trailer-images-ending-theme-artist/