Harold Pinter wins Nobel Lit prize

Link to biography and bibliography.
News story by The Indepedent. News story by CNN.

That’s… fantastic… good… for… him.

thwartme

They’ve ignored Dan Brown again? :eek:

Hope he doesn’t get a big head and change his name to Harold Galloner.

Well, the critics have always loved Pinter, I’ve never been entertained by him. Dan Brown does write a page turner, but I’d have to concede that despite my enjoyment of it, The Da Vinci Code was complete crap.

“So he did, eh?”
‘That’s what I heard.’
“Good for him.”
‘You think?’
“Must be.”

Ah, Pinter. Read him in one of my electives for college, and did one of his sketches. Fun guy. I’m fairly sure I was influenced by him in the way I write dialogue.

Pinter becomes the 4th Nobel Laureate who also has earned an Oscar nomination (for Betrayal and The French Lieutenant’s Woman).

Anyone want to make a stab at the other 3?

I’ve actually heard of him. Shocking. Hasn’t been the case for the last few years.

Good. He deserves it. Though I haven’t heard much from him lately; the last time I recall hearing about him was when he had a part in Gosford park.

He’s been so good for so long that I’m always surprised to learn that he’s still living and not Irish.

ArchiveGuy, Steinbeck? Faulkner? Hemingway?

(Just biased guessing)

Whoosh. Sorry.

Surely that’s:

“So he did, eh?”
(Pause)
‘That’s what I heard.’
(Pause)
“Good for him.”
(Pause)
‘You think?’
(Pause)
“Must be.”
(Long Pause)

OB

Well, George Bernard Shaw actually WON as Oscar for adapting his own “Pygmalion” for the screen.

After that… William Faulkner seems like a good guess. But only a guess.

Him?

I’d guess Faulkner and Hemingway.

:smiley: good one!

Yes, Shaw was the first, and Zoe’s correct with Steinbeck as the second (he had 3 nominations but never won).

As for the third, it’s a rather unlikely candidate (think non-English speaking for starters). He was nominated in quite possibly the most bizarre and eclectic year the Academy has ever had in the writing branch