Harry Potter and the Religious Paranoia

So there’s this wing of the religious right that condemns Harry Potter for witchery and Satan and so on. I don’t see why, but if that’s the way you think, I don’t see much to argue about.

What I don’t get is why such classics as The Wizard of Oz get a free pass to glorifying good witches. I mean, it’s the same thing, right? Does the Wizard of Oz get a pass because it acheived classic status before the most recent burst of religious fervor in America, or does it get the same scorn, but with less media attention because it’s 70 years old? Or is it just sheer logicial inconsistency?

Well, the Wizard of Oz isn’t exactly very popular and happening. And of course, the people who tend to disapprove of Harry Potter are the often ones who dislike Halloween (with people dressing up like the Wicked Witch more than Glenda).

A little of both. There are some fundie types that likely would get upset by it. Especially if they knew the author was a Theosophist.

They don’t always. Sure, they’re less hip-n-happenin’ than contemporary crazes like Harry Potter, but some religious conservatives with way too much time on their hands still consider them worth deconstructing:

FWIW, The Wizard of Oz was listed in the Vatican’s Best Films list.

Also, the review of the first Harry Potter movie by the U.S. Council of Catholic Bishops had this to say:

So it’s obviously only a small subset of Christianity dealing with Harry Potter or the Wicked Witch of the West in this manner.

I think part of the issue is that Harry is the main character, who is practicing witchcraft. Also what probably gets their britches in a bunch is that he is also shown to be a ‘good guy’, and representing ‘evil’ as good.

Doesn’t *anyone * know that all four compass points had witches in the books, and MGM just compositized the 2 good ones?

That small subset that thinks Harry Potter is evil includes Pope Benedict XVI.

I read and article, or saw a TV special that interpreted The Wizard of OZ as Frank Baum’s saterical attack on the flim-flammery (in his opinion) practiced by the gold people in preventing the use of silver in addition to gold as our monetary base.

Probably right here, David.

Meh, it’s a bid for attention. If you say The Osbournes has a satanic message, people will shrug and say “yeah, and…?” But say Harry Potter or Disney or Tiger Woods is a minion of Beelzebub and people will go “Huh? What do you mean?” It’s the follow-up question these religious types crave, as it gives them an opening to talk at length about why they think the world is screwed and what they’d do to fix it, given a chance.

If a response must be made, I prefer the flat statement “You’re an idiot.” Period. No argument, no follow-up, no invitation to debate.

I really agree, not really a red button issue, just easy press. Similar to the small protest that went on before “Dogma” was released.

To be fair, he didn’t actually say that.

There are 4 witches in the book, along with the cardinal points. I believe they do change a few things, like Glinda actually being the witch of the South(I can’t remember if she meets the Northern witch though).

In the book, the Witch of the North is the one who tells Dorothy to go to Oz. Glinda, the Witch of the South, sends them snow to kill the poppies that have put Dorothy to sleep, and then, after the Wizard goes back to Kansas, Dorothy, et al travel to the land of the Quadlings, where they meet Glinda and she tells them that Dorothy can get home by using the slippers.

I’m sorry, I was wrong. It’s really the Queen of the Field Mice who help them with the poppies. Glinda doesn’t show up until the very end of the book, As an Ozian soldier describes her:

Here’s the description of the Witch of the North, btw (seen with two Munchkins):

Nah, I read or heard the interpretation something like 30 years ago. However, the version you cited is the same as the one I remember-as best I can remember.

When I talked with a cow-orker about this a while back she was worried that HP would encourage her daughter to dabble in witchcraft.
I asked if her daughter was old enough to tell the difference between real life and make-believe. My cow-orker reminded me that witches are real.

I realized that there was just a fundamental disconnnect between the world my cow-orker and I lived in. I wasn’t gonna get it.

I have a very nice co-worker who is very religious and doesn’t believe in Evolution.
She also doesn’t like the HP series as encourages Witchcraft.
I just don’t have the ability to understand some of her positions. I feel like I have a completely different world reference.

Not a contradiction, but unexpected; she likes Star Trek.