"Harry Potter" - the latest chapter

#8 Harry Potter and the Controlled Substances

#12 Harry Potter and the Receding Hairline

Vanilla, perhaps you ought to read it before you start repeating stuff like that. I don’t believe that “most” Christians think it is “bad” for children. I’ve read reviews suggesting that it models many positive values. I’ve read the books, and make them available to my students without any complaints from their parents. They’re pretty positive.

Goldie
Gentlemen prefer blondes – with good reason!

Vanilla, I think it’s another case of a very vocal and hysterical minority giving a bad name to an entire religion. A few rabid fundies screaming loudly enough to get the attention of the media cause trouble and embarrassment for Christian and non-Christian alike when they start demanding the censorship du jour. They wouldn’t even say boo about Harry Potter if it were not so popular. It’s just another attention-getting political scheme designed to delude the ignorant into thinking that the religious extremists care about anything but their own power and bank accounts.

You know why I think the Fundies hate these books so much?

Because the Dursleys are Fundies, very tight-assed and horrified of anything “unnatural”, and they always come off the worst.

Marlitharn, that WOULD be true, if the fundies had any idea who the Dursleys were!

(I love the scenes with the Dursleys, they totally crack me up! They’re so over the top!)

You’re kidding, right? Please tell me you’re kidding.

#6: Harry Potter and the “Mistake” With Sorceress Jenny

#9: Harry Potter and the Trafficking Rap

#15: Harry Potter and the Oxygen Tent

#13 Harry Potter and the Ugly Divorce

#14 Harry Potter and The Perils of Dating

Waste
Flick Lives!

#16: Harry Potter and the Surprise Existance of Harry Junior

#17: Harry Potter and the Trophy Wife

Hee hee… I love the Harry Potter books. What kills me is, you’ve got this constant battle between good and evil adn it’s pretty clear which side Harry and his friends are on. Yeah, there are some conflicted characters, or characters whose motivations are still unclear, but hey, that’s life (or as close to it as you get in fantasy novels!).

When I bought my copy of Book 4, I got a button with that that reads “Muggles for Harry Potter- American Booksellers Foundation for Free Expression.” Love that!

#35 Harry Potter and the Missing Child Support.

#75 Harry Potter and Invisible Catastrophic Health Insurance.

#89 Harry Potter and the Irritable Bowel.

#90 Harry Potter and the Colostomy Bag.

#99 Harry potter and the Folrida Rest Home.

Check out the latest Dave Barry column: Get’cher Harry Potter knockoffs while they’re hot

He says that the last two Harry Potter books were Harry Potter and the Enormous Royalty Check and Harry Potter Purchases Microsoft. He also does a couple of hilarious chapters from his own Harry Potter knock-off.

My favorite excerpt?

And since we’re on the subject, this gave me a larf.

Waste
Flick Lives!

I know of no Christian that has a problem with the books, because of their 'witchcraft". There are a lot better childrens fantasy out ther, but at least they are reading…

On a related subject, the casting for Harry Potter has been announced - check out the article at http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com for a picture and some really amusing reactions to it. Much is made about the marijuana leaf on the boy’s cap. No mention is made of the fact that there is no way they can use this kid for all seven of the projected movies - he’s already 13 and they haven’t started principle shooting on movie one.

We may see Harry Potter and Disappearing Social Security Check after all.

Assuming that the First movie makes any money, of course.

I remember reading somewhere (and I’m sorry that I don’t remember where) that the Biblical line about ‘Suffer not a WITCH to live’ was actually a misquote that should have read ‘Suffer not a POISONER to live’

Harry potter and the fast-moving escalator

Harry Potter and the presidential nomination

Harry Potter and Little Miss Muffet: the headlines

and let’s not forget Harry Potter and the Descent Into Hosting Infomercials for Wickersham’s Wand Polish.

And if I may laugh at any mortal thing
'Tis that I may not weep.

http://www.exposingsatanism.org/harrypotter.htm

Now, this is what I don’t get about the fundies. This applies not only to Harry Potter, but Dogma, the “Virgin Mary” art a while back, and anything that the fundamentalists think threatens their way of life.

All they’re doing is giving free publicity.

Every time something controversial comes out, the fundies react in their predictable, pre-programmed way: pick up the picket signs, go cause a ruckus to “fight the heathens.” What they never seem to realize is that this couldn’t be more beneficial to the companies producing the stuff. By protesting, fundies are only drawing attention to the movie/book/other that they’re protesting, and makes people curious. Since the majority of the public doesn’t listen, they see the fundies protest, and think “Hey, I wonder what that’s all about.” Then, they go to the theatre or bookstore, walk right past the pickets, and slap down their cash for the controversial item. Production firms couldn’t hope for better advertising!

A shining example of this, besides Harry Potter, was the movie Dogma. I know that I myself, and a number of people I know, had never even heard about it, until we saw the protests. Apparently, fundies need to learn something about “shock value.”