Harvey Korman dies

I started a thread on the Eunice/Family segments a few weeks ago that has links to those sketches and to the 90 minute special. In some of those you see that Harvey, like Carol, could conceal a lot of drama into a broad comic character as well, and strangely especially in his dealings with Conway. (He and Conway didn’t break character in the Eunice sketches, though Conway famously floored the rest of the cast in one.)

Conway in his 70s has lost nothing as far as timing or just the ability to kill with a dry line. When he was on 30 ROCK a few weeks ago as a faded TV star from TV’s golden era and was telling the intern about how in those days men could love men without those sordid Brokeback Mountain associations or, when shown the writers’ lounge, says “Oh yeah… we used to call this the Jew Room”- the lines are just ‘okay’ funny but his delivery stole the episode. I’m surprised Harvey was ever able to make it through a sketch.

When Perfect Strangers was on Bronson Pinchot said that he and Mark Linn Baker often cracked each other up during the taping and that he always thought it would be funny to leave it in because he thought it was hysterical when Korman and Conway lost it. He said he later ran into Korman at some Hollywood function and told him this and Korman seemed mortified by the idea- “No! Absolutely not! It only worked for me and Conway because it was spontaneous and it was sketch comedy and in a setting where you’re playing the same characters ever week it would destroy the credibility needed to carry the episode and ajdflaj fajdofajdfjff asf ao” and basically proceeded to give him a lecture on comedic theory and timing that Pinchot said was one of the most informative of his education as an actor.

Comedy is such an in-exact science (“K’s are funny, M’s just sit there… and of course three is funnier than two but four’s not funny at all…”). I’d be at a loss to explain why Korman and Conway breaking up in sketches is remembered as funnier than the sketches themselves, but Jimmy Fallon and Horatio Sanz doing the same thing on SNL was one of the most annoying and unprofessional things in the show’s history, yet I agree with the statement.

Fallon and Sanz always gave me the impression they were cracking themselves up, which irritates people. I watched the dentist sketch and Korman was cracking up because Conway is being funny - also, they’re trying not to laugh, which is funny on its own, while Fallon and Sanz never seemed to make an effort not to break character. That’s how I see it, anyway. Maybe it’s all just taste.

Just held a memorial viewing of Blazing Saddles.

" ‘Ditto,’ you provincial putz?" – damn, he was a funny, funny man.

I liked the way he was beliveable as either a whimp or a tough guy. On the skits of Carol Burnett he could play muscle and be believable or he could play a whimpy guy and be believeable. And of course he was great in drag as a sterotypical Jewish mother.

According to Carol Burnett in her Biography episode, Harvey Korman was a bit of a complainer, whiner, and could be a real pain in the ass. He was pulling some attitude during a read-through one week and she told him “You’re perfectly free to leave.” She had the balls to do it, and he had the professionalism to reign in his ego.