has a spirit ever been captured on camera?

i have been watching a rather frustrating show on british tv, in which a group of people spend the evening locked in some of the most haunted locations around the camera armed with infra red cameras and various other top of the range pieces of kit. the only problem is, in about 4 series of the show, all they have ever caught are so-called orbs, which arent particualrly impressive, and a few ‘unexplained’ noises which on the most part, are anything but unexplainable. i was wondering in my frustration whether any full-bodied aparitions of spirit people have been caught on cameras, or anything else of great importance regarding the spirit world. i performed a quick google search a while ago with limited success, i wondered if anyone else had any files to share, or even stories.
thanks alot
Gherk

In a word, no.

They are all the result of different natural phenomena unknown to the photographer, or those fooled by the pictures.

Given that there are no such things as spirits, no.

phew, tough crowd tonight. any believers out there?

I believe many people claim to have photographs of spirits that are either forged or have felt the effects of some phenomena unbeknownst to the photographer. In either case what is shown in the photograph is not a spirit. This is one of those types of things that we would have heard about it by now.

We used to have a book The Ghosts of Alabama. In it there was a picture of what they claimed was of the ghost of the featured house. It could be easily explained away, but that was the claim. YMMV. :wink:

Here you go. Second picture from the top, “white fuzz.” Here’s a companion story.

Obviously, yes. Otherwise liquor commercials would be kinda pointless.

This is the best photograph of a “ghost” that I’ve ever seen. And even the most biased observer has to admit that it’s an image that could be easily made by some guy putting on a bedsheet, and double-exposing his film.

nahhh… that’s a cool picture but does anybody actually think a ghost/spirit would look like that, with the silly robe and all?

Looks like a guy in a priest robe with a rubber mask.

I wonder if it’s a Martha Stewart sheet…

Fictional phenomena have a set of rules designed to make it difficult to prove or disprove their existance. Not being able to be captured on film is a property of spirits, hence we can’t eliminate the possiblity that they are real using cameras or other film technology. Rather annoying.

Heat sensitive film would be the thing. The temperature drops when a ghost is near. I recall seeing something on a Canadian show called ‘The Psi Factor’, that dramatized so-called paranormal incidents, about catching the presence of a spirit in this way…

[nitpick]
Let me change that phrasing for you, Apex Rogers.

“I believe many people have photographs which they claim to be of spirits.”

That people have photographs isn’t in question; what those photographs actually are of is unclear. Personally, I have never heard of any repeatable ghost phenomena that were captured on film. The images they have captured on film may simply not have been proved to be a spirit.

Sorry for the nitpick about phrasing; I really do agree they probably aren’t pictures of real spirits.
[/nitpick]

None of these definitions suggest anything that can be photographed. Except maybe the embodying part, but that seems to me to be a contradiction in terms, as far as reality goes.
The vital principle or animating force within living beings.
Incorporeal consciousness.
The soul, considered as departing from the body of a person at death.
Spirit The Holy Spirit.
A supernatural being, as:
An angel or a demon.
A being inhabiting or embodying a particular place, object, or natural phenomenon.
A fairy or sprite.

The part of a human associated with the mind, will, and feelings: Though unable to join us today, they are with us in spirit.
The essential nature of a person or group.
A person as characterized by a stated quality: He is a proud spirit.

An inclination or tendency of a specified kind: Her actions show a generous spirit.
A causative, activating, or essential principle: The couple’s engagement was announced in a joyous spirit.
spirits A mood or an emotional state: The guests were in high spirits. His sour spirits put a damper on the gathering.
A particular mood or an emotional state characterized by vigor and animation: sang with spirit.
Strong loyalty or dedication: team spirit.
The predominant mood of an occasion or a period: “The spirit of 1776 is not dead” (Thomas Jefferson).
The actual though unstated sense or significance of something: the spirit of the law.
An alcohol solution of an essential or volatile substance. Often used in the plural with a singular verb.
spirits An alcoholic beverage, especially distilled liquor.

Depends on how much you believe the stuff.

I remember a book I had, in which there were some photos of seemingly spirits, ghosts, or some such jibberish. And it looked fairly realistic, with nice back-stories:

Ie. A turn-of-the-century family, took a photo in front of their house, with noone remaining inside, and the photo shows a person in the upstairs window. Blah, blah blah. Anyway, there are a thousand doctored photos going back a century, with various machination.

There were even a few theaters that were able to “project” ghost-like phenomena.

Naturally, since everyone else knows that ‘orbs’ are just out of focus, near camera, dust and other debris lit by the flash.

The problem with ghost-hunters and TV shows like this is they will grasp at any peculiarity and shout “ghost!”, by-passing 101 more likely explanations. And a basic misunderstanding of photography and optics often lies at the heart of it.

Like all psychic and paranormal phenomena, ghosts are as real as you want them to be, which is why this question has no single, correct answer.

Your basic choice is to believe that ghosts (a perceivable and sometimes visible entity evidential of human existence beyond the death of the physical body) exist in front of the eye or behind it (i.e. in the mind). I’m in the latter camp, since I’ve been looking into psychic and paranormal phenomena for most of my life and I’ve never seen ayn good evidence to support any other conclusion, and most of the ‘evidence’ that is presented by believers only goes to show that they have their own rather peculiar views as to what constitutes ‘evidence’. I’m not saying all this to kick start a debate; the point is: for me and anyone sharing my point of view, there won’t be any good photographic evidence because there’s nothing there to photograph.

However, if you take the alternative view, then there is photographic evidence by the ton. Here in London, you can find all the ghost images you want in the archives of ‘Psychic News’ (a newspaper devoted to psychic matters) or by looking through the Harry Price library collection now maintained, I believe, by the Society for Psychical Research (aka ‘Fawlty Powers’ in my house). The best book containing images of the afterlife is without doubt ‘Nel mondo degli Spiriti’ (In the world of the spirits) by my friend Massimo Polidoro. This is only available in Italian if it is still available at all, but you can probably find out by asking Massimo via his website (Google is your friend).

In modern times, the best effort to catch the spirits on photographs or tapes has probably been made by Prof. Richard Wiseman of the University of Hertfordshire, who spent several weeks at a notably haunted spot within Edinburgh Castle armed with all the latest kit and caboodle for recording such images. Alas, the spirits were camera-shy on this occasion. However, he does do a splendid lecture in which he shows some of the footage they did obtain, some of which looks remarkably eerie and ghostly but turns out to have a prosaic explanation.

I remember watching a TV program a few years back about a “haunted” house. The show talked about all the spooky stuff and then the camera showed CURTAINS BLOWING IN A CLOSED WINDOW! Well, anyone that’s been in an old home knows that that is normal in an old home with ill fitting windows without storms.

I always thought I was too smart to fall for any of that ghost stuff–till I had this strange experience:

I am an RN and a few years back I cared for an elderly woman who lived in a 300 year-old farm home in Maine. I “lived in”, stayed right in the house with her, and my daughter, also a nurse, worked the weekend shift. The woman, Nora was her name, was very sane during the day but went completely whacko in the evening. This is known in the medical profession as “Sundowner’s Syndrome”, and I had seen it before. Nights were a nightmare–me trying to get some sleep and Nora up all night and very crazy. After a week of this I was exhausted. Then my daughter came to the home for her first weekend shift. I moved upstairs into an attic bedroom.

The next day I asked my daughter “How’d it go?” She replied it did not help at all that I was up all night making such a ruckus, walking back and forth, moving furniture around, and so on. Of course, that had not been the case at all–I was just exhausted and had gone to bed early and slept ‘like a log’ all night. The following evening she again told me that “I” had been very noisy all night. Since none of this fit into reality as I know it, I just blew it off–there was no where in my brain to put something that just did not make sense.

That’s where it would have stayed except that one night I woke up to a very loud “ruckus” going on upstairs–angry voices–in my memory I say “it sounded like all hell had broke loose”. Then I understood what my daughter was talking about.

I remain a sceptic, but part of my brain knows that things happened that I do not understand.

You know what’s weird? I am a complete and utter skeptic, and I truly believe there was no chance of your experience having supernatural origins.

But, it still gave me chill down my back to read this story.

I guess that must mean that some part of me, hardly connected to my rational mind at all, ain’t quite as skeptical.

Oh, don’t worry! I feel just the same. It just does not fit anywhere. But it did happen. I just can not pretend it did not happen. I’ve tried to think we were just tired and hallucinating, but that won’t work. The best I can say is that I just don’t know where to put it in my brain…