Has anyone ever eaten their shoe?

As per the expression, if (unlikely event) happens, I’ll eat my shoe! Well, if has anyone ever lost that bet and done it? I tried a search and didn’t see anything.

I don’t know about a shoe, but if you look in the Guinness Book of World Records a guy named “Mr. Mangetout” has eaten, among other things, a bicycle and an airplane. IIRC, he ground them up before ingesting them. A guy like that probably eats shoes like you eat french fries.

I’ve never heard of “I’ll eat my shoe”.

“I’ll eat my hat”, yes. Which I could do, being the owner of a straw hat.

This guy did.

CNN’s Tucker Carlson said he’d eat his shoe if Hillary Clinton’s book sold a million copies. But it looks like he didn’t go through with it:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/09/tucker.shoe/

You boil leather long enough and it becomes a gelatinous mass.

Film director Werner Herzog made a bet with his friend, documentary maker Errol Morris, that if Morris ever completed his first project, Gates of Heaven, about a pet cemetery, Herzog would eat his shoe. But Morris did complete it, and Herzog boiled (and boiled and boiled and boiled) a leather shoe and then ate it. Les Blank filmed it as Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe.

I used to live in San Francisco and Mangetout was very popular due to his eating experience and location was like 20 miles away from us, even though it was a secret when he did these stunts. Jeff Havaraugh in Berkely, an aspiring med student in miochemical engineering tried to eat a green converse hightop in 2000. He did the whole boiling thing, even though it wasn’t leather. From what I hear he got sick and couldn’t finish. If it was leather, it was probably more possible, you never know. I got these facts from the 101 Pub on Market st. I remember all this because I thought I could do it…then I lost my motivation.
-M

For his movie The Gold Rush, Charlie Chaplin’s character ate a shoe. But I’ve heard that the shoe used was licorice, or something like it.

I read a book about the siege of Leningrad (as it was known then). The starving people ate a lot of stuff. Leather from shoes, belts, etc. was a food of next to last resort. (Last resort was stuff like sawdust, not counting, you know, “the other white meat.”)

You boil it a long time.

Eric Taylor eats his hat

Let’s see…I’ve had to eat crow…had a shot at humble pie…have had egg on my face more times than I can remember…and have certainly had my foot in my mouth enough times. But never actually ate my shoe or my hat, nor heard of anyone else doing so.

The Donner Party