Has anyone ever tried to kill/murder you? [Warning, morbid, and TMI?]

I had a gang member hold a knife to my throat in the 8th grade and threaten to kill me.
I was working late at a gas station and two guys came in and attempted to rob the place with a knife. This pretty well freaked the cops out when I told them I ran the guys off. :smiley: It turned out to be a bit of a funny story.
I’ve had people try to run my ass off the road, both when I have been in a car, and riding my bike.
I think madmonk28 wins the thread.

I think he does too.

I deserve at least a jury prize for being dead at one point, right? I mean, someone not only tried to kill me but that person was actually technically successful. And that person is now rotting in jail.

:wink:

I’m a zombie, hear me roar for brains. Mm. Brains.

When my wife and I first started dating, a “prominent public figure” that had a crush on her (he’d shown up unannounced and proposed a month before and she told the creep to leave her the hell alone) sent two guys from out of state to our house one night. Dressed as a delivery man, one stood at the door with a concealed gun under a package while the other, a bodybuilder, hid around the corner. They rang the bell.

When I came to the door, the guy tried to thrust the package at me and I then saw a rather large, stainless steel revolver in his hand. I grabbed the cylinder so it couldn’t advance, swept it back so it wasn’t pointing at me or my SO (who was talking on the phone behind me and all of a sudden starting to provide play-by-play of what she was witnessing) and shoved him back out of the doorway. Trying to get the door shut, he and I struggled, me keeping his gun pointed away and yelling for my SO to call the cops, and finally got it shut and locked.

I ran back to the bedroom, got my pistol, chambered a round, took it off safety and cautiously opened the door. Walking out (it was night) was kinda tough as I fully expected to get in a shooting match with this SOB.

The neighbors hear the comotion and come over and that’s when I find out they also had “muscle” waiting around the corner.

We file reports with the local police, plus about 6 different law organizations in Texas and Colorado, including the Texas Rangers and a friend in the FBI. Basically, we had a pretty good idea of who’d sent these guys, told all the agencies and I further called and explained what had happened to everyone that meant anything to this guy… his parents, his boss, his wife, his powerful and very un-sympathetic father-in-law… I made sure he had to fully account for the bullshit he pulled. As you might guess, some of those chats were rather memorable.

I was understandably tempted to go have a chat with him myself but knew full well I’d end up beating his sorry ass. We were the injured party though and to have done so just really would have prevented the best long term solution from coming about. So, to wrap things up, we also had two very big, very mean looking, very fucking ugly deputies go have a chat with him. They told him in no uncertain terms that if anything at all ever happened again that they would come find him and things would become very bad for him.

I don’t know what his intentions were, if it was to kill me or just have me beaten while someone held a gun on me. I’ve never met the guy so I can’t speak as to his mindset. I do know though that he paid a heavy price for his stupidity.

I’d mentioned some parts of this before, but not that we knew the perp. We do.

Nava, I’m alarmed that you’re on ETA’s death list, considering that it’s just about your appellido. It still seems strange to me what exactly they want. A separate country? Spain is comprised of various cultures and dialects. So why not just be like the Catalan? Okay–their language is a mystery to linguists. So why not just make it a part of Spanish tradition?

Anyway, take care. My understanding is that the ETA usually give a warning before they kill a person with a bomb. In a way, that’s how we knew that that March 11th bombings were probably not ETA.

Several years ago I was approached by an acquaintance of a friend. He wanted a job and knew I needed help remodeling an old house on my farm. After I asked around and got several good recommendations from local folks including 3 local police officers (who never really checked him out), I hired him.

To make a long story short, five weeks later, at 10:30 on a Friday night, he showed up at my door. As I opened the door he had a .22 long rifle pointed at my chest and fired. Before I could react (being caught off-guard cost me a couple o’ seconds) He pushed thru the door and shot my girlfriend in the head.

I grabbed the rifle and we struggled, landing on the floor. He told me he was going to kill me and a few other people on the farm because we could identify him. I asked him why he felt he needed to do it and his anawer was “It’s what I do.”

I eventually was able to trick him and get to a .45, but before I could stop him he shot me twice more in the mouth. I shot him five times in the abdomen, stopping him.

It later turned out he was an escaped felon, a child molester, and serial murderer.

He is now serving two life sentences after being convicted of the murder of my girlfriend and my attempted murder (two 25 year sentences which he gets to serve concurrently.) Arrrggghhhh! :mad:

HSM

An ex held a knife at my throat as he drank a pint of water containing 200 soluble asprin. He said if I tried to stop him he would kill me first and then drink it anyway.
We both survived.

Jesus. I’m feeling like the luckiest person in the world about now.

Geez, HSM, that’s freakin’ horrible. So sorry about your girlfriend and I’m so proud of you for saving the lives of the others on your farm.

All these stories are troubling. A few just leave you goin’ wtf is wrong with some people?

lieu - thanks. Yah, I was pretty bad-off for awhile. I am glad I could stop him (thank God) and lived to testify against and put him away.

I just can’t believe you plugged him five times in the abdomen with a .45 and he lived at all! Who the hell is he, Rasputin? :eek:

Egads. HSM. I’m glad you’re still among the living. And that he’s behind bars.

Yikes.

I’m speechless. I’ve only ever once witnessed the firing of a gun, and that was on a farm and aimed at a groundhog. I’ve never touched a gun, and have no intention of ever doing so.

These stories are surreal.

Holy Jesus! That’s horrendious! I’m so sorry about your girlfriend and that that happened to you.

FWIW, you TOTALLY win the thread.

I had loaded the gun with what is called “hardball”. They are copper-jacketted lead and tend to “punch through” stuff,as opposed to rounds which spread out and create killing wounds.
I used the gun for target “plinking”, and never thought I’d have to use it on a person (and I use the term loosely).

Also I was able to dial 911 and we were both careflighted to the nearest city (diff choppers) and surgically stabilized.

Lead Belly.

HSM, here’s to your recovery to a degree that you’re comfortable with. I’d imagine you never get completely over shots to the chest and mouth but I hope you’re at a point, or will be someday, that those past wounds no longer keep you from enjoying the things you do and participating in them fully.

First, thanks for all the good thoughts, y’all.

This isn’t a hijack, but I just thought I’d set the record straight.

I was shot once in the chest from @ 4 ft. away - it sounds implausible, but the bullet hit my breast bone, skittered three inches along right beneath the skin and exited - then went through a stereo speaker across the room.

Five minutes later when I got away long enough to beat him to my room and get my .45, he followed and was able to shoot me twice more in my mouth - they hit my dental plate (false teeth) the first blowing it loose and the second shattering it and it blew out of my mouth. both slugs (.22 long) were reduced to several hundred tiny pieces of shrapnel, lacerating my tongue and lodging in my palate and throat. Miraculously, although many were considered near-misses by the surgeons, twelve days later I walked out of the hospital. Even though I’m diabetic I healed completely in 4 months.

Emotionally, I was pretty screwed up with grief and PTSD for about 3 years, but I am OK now. I have even been blessed with a wonderful wife whom I love.

I believe God used me to stop the murderer, but did not make me a killer. He also preserved my life because He had better things in store for me.

So thank you for your concern, but know I am alright now and am living well.

HSM

I’ve had a cocked, loaded revolver pressed against my upper lip.

Truth to tell, I don’t really think the person intended to kill, only to intimidate, but he had his finger on the trigger.

I hope whatever rush he got from that was worth his subsequent sojourn in prison.

I had someone point a .44 magnum in my face and threaten to blow my brains out.
I grew up in the swamps. There is a very good reason I live in the mountains now.

Hi Iv been lurking these boards for a few days and its been a great joy, but iv waited to sign up as i dont have a Credit Card to pay for my subscription when this trial ends just yet…

Anyway, i just had to sign up after reading HSM’s last post i had to sign up, becuase that was both a tradigy to read leading up to yet so heartwarming to read how it turned out!

I feel for you and is truely happy you got on with your life even after what you have been put through.

No guns, (thank god), but when I was 7, the neighborhood bully–Kevin Warren may you rot in hell forever–dunked me in a neighbor’s pool. The neighbor’s mother, an alcoholic who chainsmoked while we swam, didn’t notice or was too drunk to care (I didn’t know she was a drunk until years later). He would NOT let me up–when I managed to get away, I lay on the side of the pool for the longest time, gagging and dry heaving, while he laughed. The lights all had rainbows around them and my vision was hazy. It was horribly frightening (although I got the rainbows a lot after swimming after that). It did not put me off swimming–but Kevin Warren is an asshole-just so you all know. Avoid him. (he’s probably doing time for some shady financial deal–he was a born skunk).

Then when I was nine, we were getting on the expressway to go downtown and unbeknownst to me, my side door of the car was loose. This was before seat belts in the back–I almost fell out of the car on the entrance cloverleaf. (ok, so it’s not murder, but I still almost died).

The other time was in the early years of my being a nurse. This is how I learned assertiveness skills. I learned this by having a known gang member be my patient in ICU. He had been involved in a knife fight, that devolved into a gunfight–and he had been shot in the arm and left with a knife wound to his chest. He was doing ok, and was due to be moved out of ICU in the morning.

I worked 12 nights, and about 10pm, security called to say that this guy had some visitors and could they come up. We had a policy of encouraging visitation, so I said I’d ask him if he wanted to see anyone. He says to me, “yeah, sure, but you stay here with me, in case it’s [name of rival gang that tried to kill him]. They won’t kill me with you here.”

Um, no. I told him I would not stay at his bedside and if he was concerned about that um, contigency, then he should refuse to see them. I had the charge nurse refuse them entry to ICU. The guy proceeded to throw his urinal (full) at me.
Ah, memories…