Has anything really bad ever happened on Friday the 13th?

I suppose something bad happens every day to someone, but have there been any historically really bad Friday the 13ths?

I was born. And you know, I could be the antichrist.

I’m still thinking about it.
(As for as a real answer, I don’t know. I’ve heard a lot of storries about the origin of Friday the 13, christian and pagan, but none of them seem anything more then apocryphal)

I too, was born on friday, the 13th of Jan. 1939.
I’m sure there are a few people who would claim that to be a bad thing, but, of course, I strenuously disagree.
I’m not particularly superstitious, but I will often choose 13 to be my “lucky” number.

You should look at what happened to Australia on your birthday

Knights Templar had a very bad Friday the 13th one October in 1307, or so I’m told.

while I"ve only checked out one perpetual calendar site, the 13th of October, 1307 was a Thursday. I’ll keep checking.

OMG! It should have been THURSDAY THE 13Th all along!!!

That site indicates the 13th of October was indeed a friday.

You’re correct. I think I misread it based on the way the calendar was laid out…Sunday on the right. Not the way I in the US am used to seeing it.

Same site but with French country code shows the week M-S, so the 13th looks like a Thursday. As far as I can tell this site takes into account the adjustment in 1752 (?).

This as well.

And I didn’t preview, sorry.

So, besides maybe the Templars and the fire in Australia, anything bad happen lately?

Isn’t it traditionally held that it was on a Friday the 13th that Christ was crucified?
Specifically, Friday, April 13, 0031, I believe.

If you’re a Christian, you could certainly call that a bad thing. Or you could say it was the salvation of the world, so a good thing, I guess.

For the record, I just tried Wikipedia, with a link through to Snopes. Both list nuthin’, and I suspect that that’s the real answer to the OP.

Unless we could come up with something for next Friday the 13th… bwahhaha!

Wow! Thanks Samclem, I never knew about that.

Black Sabbath’s eponymous debut album was released on Friday the 13th, February, 1970.

It may be an evil event, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. :cool:

The 13th of the month falls on a Friday about once every 210 days (30 x 7).

I think the adjustment’s got to do with leap years. The rules for this has been refined a couple of times, so while the 13th of October 1307 is a Friday by our calendar, it needn’t have been by its own. I think there were eleven days or so added at a point, don’t know if they changed weekdays, too doing that.
I’ll check up on it, gotta run.

Four of the sequels to the movie Friday the 13th were released on Friday the 13th.

August 13th 2004 Hurricane Charley killed 27 people in Florida, that’s gotta be a bad thing

Yep. I have always heard that the Knights Templar getting it in the neck from King Phillip and Pope Clement was the origin of the modern day aversion to Friday the 13th. Combine that with a bunch of religous twaddle and you’ve got the makings for an evil day.

Paraskevidekatriaphobics, I think, serve to make Friday the 13th a self-fulfilling prophecy. They expect something to go wrong; if it does, their superstition is reinforced. If it doesn’t, their superstition is not diminished, as they simply sigh and think, “Dodged a bullet today!”.