Has Idiot-Proofing Gone Too Far?

If anyone still believes that McDonald’s didn’t get off EXTREMELY lightly in that case, then the McDonald’s propaganda machine is to be congratulated for a job well done; if that of the Third Reich had been equally competent, we’d be speaking German right now.

It’s not terribly hard to find analyses of the case on the web; I posted a link to one the last time it was mentioned here.

Personally, I think the above-mentioned “new baby pamphlet” is a brilliant idea. Many of the morons who somehow manage in the face of overwhelming idiocy to fuck and conceive a child would benefit greatly from remedial instruction in caring for a new life. I say this only to protect the children from the ignorance of their new parents. The mind balks at the tragedies we see march through the doors of our emergency department every day, visited upon children by ignorant parents. This is not to mention what people do to themselves (a whole other topic in and of itself).

Maybe I’m cynical and bitter (okay, not maybe), but it’s hard to underestimate the idiocy of the general population. Many of the posters to this board are professional people, well educated with educated friends and peer groups. That’s all well and good, but it leaves you at risk of losing touch with the lowest common denominator that makes up most of the world. Most of the rest of the world would benefit from some remedial instruction (assuming that they have brains enough to use the instruction).
The more idiotic and simplistic instructions, the better. Just think, if you make something simple enough for the average person to understand, then fully half of the population won’t get it.
Scary, huh?

Nah.

I’ve reconsidered. Chef Troy’s right. Darwin Rules. Let 'em weed themselves out.

Speaking of idiot proofing things, my husband stayed in a jaccuzi suite on our honeymoon. I had never used a jaccuzi tub before (the kind you put your own bubble bath in). I turned it on and put about 2 capfulls of bubble making stuff in. In my own (idiot) defense, we have “hard” water at home and you need a LOT of soap to take a decent bubble bath. Well, as I"m sure you can guess, about 5 minutes later there is soap EVERYWHERE but in the tub and I’m laughing my ass off. Moral? They will put warnings on hair dryers, and instructions on paper towel dispensers, but they figure you’ll know not to put more then 2cc of bubbles in the tub.
::shrug::

A friend is someone who likes you even though you’re as ugly as a hat full of assholes.
Zettecity

Chef Troy! Have you been away?

A new stop sign was installed recently at the corner of Marsh and Northwest Highway in Dallas (I’m sorry, but saying “A new stop sign was installed in Dallas recently” sounded stupid). No fanfare, no warning signs nothing. It’s even a slightly faded sign. Guess what? No one noticed it. My nearly blind wife saw it one day, so I must be the only person who stops at it.

I did get a oven installed, and the warning include “do not store gasoline or other flammable materials in the oven.” My hammer had a decal that warns that a face shield (ANSI Z.89?) must be worn as well as ear protection and gloves.

Zette:

And where did you stay?

OOPS!

Forgot to add the :slight_smile: so you’d know I’m just lightly ribbing.

Sorry!

Dead Flowers:

Give up. It can’t be done.

Risk? What risk? That’s WHY we come here! It’s a benefit.

In the instruction manual for a chainsaw I got to play with about two months ago, there was a warning not to stand on branches you are cutting.

On my lawnmower (a walk-behind), there is a warning not to carry it to trim hedges.

Neither of these two things would be there unless some moron sawed off the branch he was standing on or tried to trim hedges with his lawnmower. If you are stupid enough to do either of those things, you deserve whats coming.

Then again, stupid people keep me in business, so what am I complaining about…

Jeremy…

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man’s humanity to man than a fire engine - Kurt Vonnegut

It is sensible. (BTW, y’all fergot about the new sign at nighttime, since it was mentioned in the first coupla posts…)

O le mea a tamaali’i fa’asala, a o le mea a tufanua fa’alumaina.

My personal favorite for anticipating the idiocy of others: My building has glass doors at the entrance and vandals came through on night and smashed the heck out of one (of a set of two of them). They did such a nice job of bending the frame and smashing the glass (though they didn’t manage to get in) that the entire door had to be removed and boarded over with plywood while a new door was ordered. Plywood, nailed on, nothing looking anything like a handle . . . but sporting a sign advising us all to Use Other Door.

IIRC, and this has all the hallmarks of an UL, someone did do just that (for some other reason, but did enter a suit against God). The judge did a beautiful sidestep. He ruled that (a) his court did not have jurisdiction over God, and (b) even if jurisdiction could be established, he had no way to enforce his decrees as against God.

No, I’ve just been too full of ennui to do much posting lately.

sure you’ve got your streets right? I could have sworn there was a traffic light at that intersection. (I live in Dallas too.)

I actually think calling people’s attention to new stop signs or traffic lights is a good idea. I object to warnings like the one on the tube of contraceptive jelly that says, “not to be taken by mouth.” Like some idiot was enjoying it on toast and then couldn’t understand why she got pregnant.

Live a Lush Life
Da Chef

The way I heard it was that the judge said that the plaintiff couldn’t prove that God lived within his jurisdiction

“I had a feeling that in Hell there would be mushrooms.” -The Secret of Monkey Island

I’m still waiting!

your humble TubaDiva

Dear WIRELESS- Sorry, but DEX is right, and you are wrong. Want proof? A few weeks ago, a woman named Suzanne Stanway died in Newburgh, NY. She was an older lady- mid 50’s and excellent driver. Adult kids, husband was a minister.
She blew a stop sign, and was T-boned by a car. She died the second the car hit her, her brain stem was severed from her spinal cord. In all likelihood, she never even saw it, and had no clue.
She was a very careful driver. The sign was down because of the severe flooding from Hurricane Floyd. Maybe if she had noticed a “Stop Ahead” sign, she might have slowed. You think this is some cooked-up Urban Legend, just to say you are wrong? Check the Internet for the Times Herald-Record of Orange County, NY. Her lengthy and sad obit is there, to be found.
It has nothing to do with dumbing, and everything to do with public safety. Before you go attacking someone for that kind of caution, try dragging what is left of a car accident victim from their car, at the side of the road. I’ve done it, and will again ( EMS Volunteer ).
Sorry, but you are simply wrong on this one.
Cartooniverse.

" If you want to kiss the sky, you’d better learn how to kneel ".

Dear WIRELESS- Sorry, but DEX is right, and you are wrong. Want proof? A few weeks ago, a woman named Suzanne Stanway died in Newburgh, NY. She was an older lady- mid 50’s and excellent driver. Adult kids, husband was a minister.
She blew a stop sign, and was T-boned by a car. She died the second the car hit her, her brain stem was severed from her spinal cord. In all likelihood, she never even saw it, and had no clue.
She was a very careful driver. The sign was down because of the severe flooding from Hurricane Floyd. Maybe if she had noticed a “Stop Ahead” sign, she might have slowed. You think this is some cooked-up Urban Legend, just to say you are wrong? Check the Internet for the Times Herald-Record of Orange County, NY. Her lengthy and sad obit is there, to be found.
It has nothing to do with dumbing, and everything to do with public safety. Before you go attacking someone for that kind of caution, try dragging what is left of a car accident victim from their car, at the side of the road. I’ve done it, and will again ( EMS Volunteer ).
Sorry, but you are simply wrong on this one.
Cartooniverse.

" If you want to kiss the sky, you’d better learn how to kneel ".

OYE. Nothing like reading a furious posting…twice. My apologies, I have NO clue how it got duplicated.

Cartooniverse

So what you’re saying is that every stopsign should be repeated just in case one of them is knocked down? What if both are? Should we erect three signs for each one in case the other two are knocked down? Are you seriously suggesting that the 99% of all stops in this country which are not marked by double signs are unsafe? Or just in flood-zones?

Wireless jested:

Man, I can’t put anything past you guys! I slept outside the door to our suite, wishing I could come in, having been banished after the jaccuzi incident :slight_smile:

A friend is someone who likes you even though you’re as ugly as a hat full of assholes.
Zettecity