Has the White House always been 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue?

When the White House was constructed, was Pennsylvania Avenue already so named? Did the Executive Mansion always sit at 1600? If not, when did it get that address? Has it ever been thought to be at any other address?
Thanks to all who reply.

Sorry, but I can’t find any reference to a prior street address.

However I did find one interesting note. The official street address of the White House is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW. But the street runs the length of the city and there’s also a Pennsylvania Avenue SE. At the moment, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue SE is a vacant lot (the closest street address in use is a McDonalds at 1539 Pennsylvania Ave). But a real estate developer is supposedly planning on buying the property and putting up an apartment complex at the address.

Fun fact. If you google 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, you get a link to this Zillow real estate listing http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1600-Pennsylvania-Ave-NW-Washington-DC-20006/84074482_zpid/

Apparently this single family home (The White House) has an attached garage and forced air heat.

I hear one of the previous owners put in an office, but I don’t know if they pulled a permit when they finished the basement. People think getting a permit for finishing a basement is a waste of money, but if the inspectors didn’t make sure the insulation was up to code before the walls were closed up the neighbors are going to complain about the noise every time your friends want to use the bowling alley.

15961598…”

Future Bart Simpson makes a good point. What else is on Pennsylvania Avenue?
Has it always been the same kind of neighborhood? I sort of imagine that the demographics would change over two and a half centuries.

There originally was no neighbourhood. The White House was essentially a country estate when it was built. The city grew up around it.

This is a picture of the White House in the 1830’s. The population of Washington according to the 1830 census was 18,826.

Pennsylvania Ave. was always called that, because it’s part of L’Enfant’s original plan for Washington DC, drawn up before the White House was planned, let alone built. And it was one of the first avenues constructed.

The address would logically be 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW because the location is at what was the intersection of 16th St. NW and Pennsylvania Ave. NW. I’m pretty sure that the numbering of the streets was there from the beginning. L’Enfant’s design produced a grid with numbered streets north-south and lettered streets east-west, with the center being the intersection of Independence Ave. and Capitol St., the site of the Capitol Building. Diagonal boulevards, avenues named after the states, were designed to provide vistas eminating from the major buildings. AFAIK, the lettering, numbering, stating scheme was there from the beginning, at least from the beginning of the actual construction. Technically, the avenues were named by surveyor Andrew Ellicott after L’Enfant got booted off the project, but were probably intended all along.

That’s terrifically cool.