Has this theological concept had adherents/ been given a name?

The belief, by persons professing to be Christians, that while they believe in the “Resurrection and the Life”, they don’t believe that there’s currently any afterlife; that the dead “exist” only in God’s memory. That at the end of the universe the dead will be recreated and judged, with the saved getting eternal life in a new universe while the damned get consigned either to non-existence, or the cosmic garbage bin.

Philipjoséfarmerism. Kinda.

I believe that is actually standard in Christianity. No one (other than Jesus and maybe the good thief crucified beside him and maybe Elisha, who rose up to heaven in a golden chariot) are in heaven now: the dead sleep in their graves. On Judgement Day, they get new bodies, and Judgement.

Christians often say comforting things like, “Well, grandma is in heaven now,” or “Your little sister is watching over you from heaven,” but, formally, under orthodox Christian belief, that wouldn’t be so: the dead are in a dreamless sleep.

Trinopus (not a Christian, and hates the spelling ‘judgment.’)

That is not particularly a standard Christian belief. Beliefs differ too much from denomination to denomination and from person to person even within groups that teach that as dogma.

Until the last few years “judgment” has been considered the only appropriate American English spelling. You’re in luck. “Judgement” is becoming more widely accepted among the scholarly in the USA.

This is called annhiliationism. Among others, I believe the Jehovah’s Witnesses subscribe to this doctrine.

This sounds to me like “soul sleepers.” I don’t know what denomination/group has this belief; I think it has a small following.

I once posted about various ‘folk Christianity’ beliefs I was familiar with. It would make an interesting study to see just how far actual Christian beliefs diverge from what the most popular denominations officially say.

double post

“The congregation will now rise and join in singing ‘Shall We Gather at the River?’.” :smiley:

Perhaps not directly what you’re looking for, but there’s also the concept of the Omega Point, particularly as envisioned by Frank Tipler. He believes that the final state of the universe’s evolution must be a singularity with the property that it will have the ability to complete infinitely many computations within the finite lifespan of the universe, and has access to all information of the universe’s history; thus, any possible computation may be run, including those that correspond to long since dead people coming back to life. In fact, Tipler explicitly equates this with the Christian notion of resurrection and has used the concept as a ‘scientific’ validation of Christian mythology.

The OP is actually discussing two distinct theological concepts.

The first is that the soul does not exist between death and judgment at some point in the future. (There is, of course, a wide variety of different views as to what form that process of judgment will take.) This is mortalism.

Er, no. The question has long been a matter of disagreement across denominations, with both sides of the dispute having regularly been aired. The only real generalisation is that the Roman Catholic Church, because of its belief in purgatory and the intercession of saints, explicitly rejects mortalism and that therefore some Protestant theologians have argued for mortalism as a reason for rejecting those doctrines. But plenty of Protestants have also rejected mortalism. The Wikipedia entry gives lots of examples of the contrasting opinions on the subject.

The separate concept is the idea that, once judged, souls which have not been saved cease to exist (‘consigned either to non-existence, or the cosmic garbage bin’). That is annihilationism.

Mortalism it is. Thanks.

To the OP- Adherents include Jehovah’s Witnesses, Russellite Bible Students, Seventh-Day Adventists, the Armstrongist Churches of God (which no longer includes the original body, the Worldwide Church of God aka Grace Communion International), Assemblies of Yahweh, among others.

Usually, the belief is called Annihilationism or Conditional Immortality.

The historic consensus held by the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox & most Protestant Churches is that at death, the disembodied soul goes either into God’s Presence aka Paradise aka Heaven or outside of His Presence into Hades aka Hell. At Christ’s Return, souls are then resurrected into immortal but material bodies and dwell either in the New Heavens & New Earth with God or apart from God in Gehenna aka The Lake of Fire. However AFAIK there has never been an official declaration that the above is essential orthodox doctrine & that Annihilationism or Conditional Immortality are heresies.

Other than needing it for purgatory,intersession by the Saints, and anti-Catholic* sentiment, what other reasons are given to say that it matters? Either way, the dead person awakens immediately to heaven or hell. It seems to be like how determinism and free will are essentially equivalent if you can’t know your fate ahead of time.

*This also includes being against mainstream Christianity. For example, I know from experience that many Jehovah’s Witness beliefs exist to be different from not only Catholics but also Protestants.

I recall reading once that this is standard original Jewish belief. If you read the Old Testament carefully, this is exactly how is plays out.

The belief in a soul, and afterlife, was something borrowed from the Greeks as they conquered the mediterranean about 300BC. As a result, the concept of afterlife shifted from the traditional Jewish view “we will all rise from the dead (sleep) on judgement day in our physical bodies” to “as soon as we die, we are all ethereal ghosts strumming harps in paradise waiting for the final judgement, except for my neighbour whose dog goes on my lawn, he’s burning all the way”.