Have a nice [rest of the] day

I’ve noticed in the past few years, in the UK, a significant shift toward specificity when wishing someone a happy whatever, when the period being mentioned is already underway; that is:

“Enjoy your stay” → “Enjoy the rest of your stay”
“Enjoy your meal” → “Enjoy the rest of your meal”
“Hope you enjoy your weekend” → “Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend”

And sometimes, somewhat awkwardly:
“Have a nice day” → “Have a nice rest of the day”
“Have a nice weekend” → “Have a nice rest of the weekend”

Now, I never had any trouble understanding that when someone said “have a great day”, they meant the bit of the day that is remaining, and not that I should travel backward in time and try to have a great time already elapsed, but it seems there’s a trend towards trying to be unnecessarily specific.
I’ve encountered this in shops and restaurants, and on TV (for example the Saturday afternoon weather forecaster signing off with “Have a nice rest of the weekend”)

Is this happening elsewhere in the Anglosphere? Any ideas where it comes from?

I do it, at my job, but not every time. It sort of depends on how much of the week/day/weekend is remaining. If it happens on a Thursday, I might even jump the calendar a bit and wish them a good weekend.

Why? I don’t know for other people, for me, it’s because I know that when I leave, the person(s) are faced with the task of unboxing and putting away their belongings that I just moved for them and that sometimes things that fit in the old house don’t go as well into the new house.

I have not heard “rest of” in New Jersey in this context.

But I do like it. NOT because it is arguably more specific and/or more accurate, but because the change is a bit jarring, and causes people to think about - and be more attentive to - what they are saying/hearing. It is similar to the situation when someone sneezes, and the response is not a perfunctory “gobleshu”, but a clear and sincere “God bless you.”

On a related note, I do as DorkVader does - On Fridays, and sometimes even on Thursdays, my sendoff is to have a good weekend.

I think it’s a generational thing. I hear it from people I assume to be younger than 30.

I hear it almost every time (USofA). Don’t know what drove the change, or why it is suddenly so wide spread.

I just assumed no one sent me the memo.

I hear this all the time in Cape Town.

I’ve even had a cashier say ‘Enjoy the rest of your day’ at 8pm at night. ‘Enjoy the rest of your evening’ would be more usual in the evening.

I’m pretty sure that at least 20 years ago, the automated announcement as you were getting off the roller coasters at Six Flags Magic Mountain always concluded with “enjoy the rest of your stay at Six Flags!”

Happens in French too. I quite often hear shop assistants and people in similar situations closing a conversation with “Bonne continuation”.

I occasionally use the “rest of” because it sounds a bit more thoughtful about one’s interlocutor, though no doubt it won’t take long for it to be just another empty formula.

When dining out on a Sunday evening, we’ve had servers tell us to enjoy the rest of our weekend.

Beats “Are you still picking at that?”

I’ve heard it a lot lately. I’m in California.

The other new one I’m hearing is “Welcome in.” when entering a store. For some reason, that one grates.

That’s interesting. A couple of presenters on BBC Radio3 have taken to opening their programmes with “Welcome along to…”

Ugh. Moe’s Southwest Grill evidently requires the entire staff to yell out “Welcome to Moe’s” when anyone walks in the door. I’ve noticed this in a couple other fast casual type restaurants. Very annoying–not that I’ve been in these places for the last 18 months.

I tell people, “I hope you have a great rest of your day” all the time. I started because if someone has to talk to me, they usually had a problem. I’m basically acknowledging that whatever brought them to me was likely making them unhappy to some extent and I’m hoping that things are smoother the rest of the day.

Also, I think I’m the bee’s knees and clearly after your good fortune in speaking with me, the rest of your day will be stellar! :wink:

At least they’re not line dancing.

Yet.

Ditto. Although I don’t think it’s a new phenomenon here. It has to be at least a decade old if not more.

I had breakfast in a restaurant in the south years ago where every waitress yelled “good morning” when anyone walked in the door. It was horrible, we never went back.