Have you ever driven a car or truck with a carburetor?

Most of the vehicles that I have owned and driven over the years have had a carburetor.

Of the vehicles that I currently own, one car and one pickup truck are fuel injected. Two of the cars and all three motorcycles are carbureted.

The second car I “owned” (Dad actually had the title. But back then I didn’t know what a car title was) had 2 carburetors. A VW hatchback. Around 1970. Fine little car. I kept the airflow meter used to balance the 2 carbs in my toolbox for years.

My last Ford van with a carb gave me a lot of trouble. I think it was a 1991 or 92 model.

It wouldn’t start if it sat for more than 2 days. I got stranded at the airport! We came back from a conference. 10 at night and I rode the airport shuttle to the parking lot. Wouldn’t start. I had to take a taxi home. 14 miles and then arrange a tow to the dealership.

Another time, I had a blown exhaust manifold gasket. Vehicle had no power and barely made it to the dealership. Took 3 trips to the stealership to get it diagnosed and fixed. That stealership’s service department was terrible.

I traded that POS in and bought a 2000 Ford van with fuel injection. It’s been much more reliable. Still have it.

I’m 43. That I’m aware of, no car I’ve ever driven has had a carburetor.

NASCAR used carbs until 2012 . They are very slow to change. They only got serious about safety after Dale Earnhardt died in 2001. other major race groups used the HANS device before NASCAR

Did they continue to use old engines, or did they retrofit fuel-injected engines to have carburetors?

Nascar teams build there own. It may have “stock” in the name, but there is nothing stock about them. Everthing is custom built to very tight specifications.

1973 Toyota pickup. I went through a carburetor a month before I got rid of it.

Oh yes. My first car was a 1962 Olds. My Dad bought it for me, It was about 14 years older than me, but had like 20,000 miles on it. Rebuilt that carb many a time. Then a few others after that including a 1976 pickup truck.

Sounds like maybe some of the seals in your fuel system needed to be cleaner. :wink:

Gunk like that loves to break loose, flow downstream, and get stuck in the tiny passages of carbs. (And FI systems for that matter).

long ago NASCAR required race cars to be same as what anyone could buy with additional safety addons. That has not been the case for decades. Cars are pretty much all the same now for safety except for engines which are custom.

And that was why cars like the Plymouth Superbird exist, wasn’t it? It was pretty much a factory built race car, but they sold some minimal number to the general public so technically it was a “stock” car that qualified for NASCAR.

I started driving in the mid-70’s, so all of my first cars were carbureted. The first car I had that had a fuel injector was an ‘89 Olds Cutlass Supreme. It took quite a while to get used to not pumping the gas pedal twice before starting.

One of the motorcycles I own has a carb. Fuel injectors are sooooooo much better, IMHO.

Not only have I driven cars with carburaeors, but the first car I drove, a '41 DeSoto had both a choke and a throttle. You pulled out the choke to enrich the mixture for starting and then pushed it back in and pulled out the throttle that increased the idle speed for a few minutes until the car warmed up. My '70 Volvo had a choke/throttle that you pulled out to start and quickly turned into a throttle after starting. You still had to remember to push it back in when it started racing at lights. Ah, those were the days. But I never had to crank a car to start, as my father had had to.

I still remember one of my brothers trying to clean a carburetor with gasoline IN HIS BEDROOM! The house stank of gasoline. He got his arse royally chewed out by everyone, especially the brother who shared a room with him. Both my parents smoked at the time. How stupid…

But yeah, I still see a lot of carbureted engines in cars because vintage racing has become very popular and the older sports cars are more affordable to race.

On the '58 F100, I used the choke/throttle thing to start it and keep the idle up, but once I got moving at more than about 20, I pushed the choke in because I could not see why I needed a rich mixture while the engine was running under load and keeping up. Never seemed to be a problem, as long as I remembered to pull it out at stops while it was still cold.

I had a ‘68 Plymouth Valiant that had a plunger choke. But I don’t believe it was OEM. I think whomever owned it before installed it. But it worked well especially on cold days. That car also did not have power steering nor power brakes. Anyone who never drove a car without those would probably really hate it, especially for city driving.

My Renault Le Car (a former tricked out race car) had a manual choke. When was the last time you saw that on a car?

The condenser was attached to the points.

My dad’s 1966 Datsun pickup had a manual choke and a hand crank as well as electric start. I never did understand why it had the hand crank, although it made it easier to do things like adjust the valves.

Has anyone here ever driven a car with a manual spark advance/retard lever?