Have you ever gotten back together with an ex?

Despite feeling somewhat daunted by having to follow behind Bubba’s brief, direct, and fairly blase post, I’ll contribute to the OP with my experience:

I haven’t yet gotten back together with my ex, but I certainly think about it. We were married for about 12 years and share children and have been divorced for a year, apart for two years. However, we get along very amiably and do things together–along with the kids–quite often.
I have dated several women since our divorce, but I still would be interested in exploring the possibility of getting back together with her because we have kids together and I still care about her and enjoy being with her and am attracted to her.
But she doesn’t seem interested in being in a romantic relationship with anyone right now, or maybe ever. When we split up, she told me that she was ‘never going to be in another relationship and was going to focus her life on the kids’.
She divorced me, so I think she was more deliberate in emotionally closing the door on our relationship, and she’s more the kind of person who avoids looking back or second-guessing herself. I’m more the kind of person who remains open to possibility and revision and overlooks problems.
Despite these differences, I do think there has been a ‘warming trend’ between us recently, and I’d guess there’s a reasonable chance that we might get back together in another year or so. But I’m not sitting around holding my breath or tying my hopes and aspirations to this possibility: there’s probably a better chance that I’ll end up with someone else who comes along.

This is an interesting question to me, however, because I do wonder exactly what draws people together and, conversely, what pulls them apart. Sometimes it seems that external circumstances are key factors in a relationship happening or not: right time of life, location, job status, familial crises in a state of remission, etc. But some relationships seem to develop regardless of what’s going on around the couple, dependent only on the chemical or magnetic attraction between them.

If you split up because of specific transgressions of one partner, then maybe the split was essential to enable proper healing and forgiveness and the time apart might lay the way for the couple to resume their relationship.
If the split was because of character issues or patterns of behavior, then it’s harder to see that getting back together would make sense because those are so hard to change and the partner would also be resistant to recognizing that the person has in fact changed.
I guess a key thing I would look for is whether both persons have, in the time apart, experienced any real growth as individuals and whether they’re likely to continue growing and avoid stagnation once they are a couple.
Lastly, I would think that it’s almost always a mistake to think in terms of ‘going back to how things were’ because that path just naturally leads to the same relationship with the same problems that drove you apart. Rather, I’d focus on beginning a new relationship, even if it happens to be with the ex.

Not sure whether these random thoughts are helpful to you or what you had in mind, but here they here.

Me and the guy I thought was The Love Of My Life split up about three times in as many years. The first couple times it was me leaving him, although I was desperately in love with him, because there were obstacles in the way of our having a normal relationship which I didn’t think I could get past. I finally got past them and we had nearly a whole solid year of bliss and then he dumped me. At that point I knew it was over for good. A few years later we attempted a friendship and he started hinting he would like to rekindle things but no way would I put myself through that again.

My first boyfriend and I had this pattern. If we were currently seeing each other, and he wanted to have a serious talk, it meant he was about to dump me. If we were not seeing each other, and he wanted to have a serious talk, it meant he wanted to get back together. Why I went along with it so many times, I’m no longer sure. Low self-esteem? Addicted to the drama? The last time he wanted to have a serious talk, we had been broken up for a while - stopped seeing each other before summer break, had barely been in contact for a few months. I think that bit of space and time to think it over was what gave me the impetus to finally tell him that I didn’t want to get back together again. One of the better decisions I’ve made in my life.

Congratulations to those who found happiness the second time. I had 3 close friends who RE-married their ex-husbands, and all 3 RE-divorced.

Mr!!! Dude, I’m like… a dudette. :wink:

So, it sounds like a lot of you are of the “stayed broken up” category, although I do second the “congrats to those who found happiness a second time.”

Oi.

Yeah, did that once. I won’t say it was a big mistake - it was actually much better the second time - but I just couldn’t do it for some reason. Not, “it,” I mean, I’m talking about the relationship. Yeah. Still, it was worthwhile. These days she has a girlfriend (she’s bi). I’m happy for her. We’re still friends (she’s good people).

I did. Once.

She was my brainy, psycho biker-chick GF. A singer, and quite talented. After a weird and whirlwind several months, she told me she was moving up to a biker enclave in Springfield, Il.

I was crushed, and definitely not invited. The next several months were both excruciating and exhilirating. I got myself into a band that was fairly hot in Houston at the time - we played somewhere every weekend and got a little bit of airplay and TV, and actually had a fan club.

Some six months or so later, she came back. The biker commune had not quite turned out to be paradise in Illinois. She came out to see us play one night, and it was love at second sight.

Goddamn, I was weak.

So we hooked up for another couple of years. After about a year, I left the band and tried many other musical ventures, none of which were very productive. She kept getting involved with singers who were going to put her over the top, but she wouldn’t cut me loose. Why I lived with that I cannot say. We finally executed a year and a half to two year breakup, and it was history.

That was 30 years ago.

A few months ago, she contacted my brother via email, through classmates.com, and asked him to help get us in touch. Upon a bit of reflection, which I thought about sharing in Baker’s thread but decided I’ll only bleed on this groundstone once, I decided to leave those sleeping dogs lie.

In the vein that don’t ask’s response pursues, my ex of most of my 30s and a good deal of my 40s remains a good friend, and will be for the rest of our lives. We parted as amicably as people can when a relationship fails, and we remain in touch, and good friends.

Just for reference, I’ve had four major SOs in my life, and I have had near zip contact with the other two since the respective Armegeddons.

Actually I’ve managed to stay friends with alll my ex’s. I’m currently seeing a guy a went on a few dates with when we were both 19. I broke it off for various reasons,but even he now agrees that he was a git when he was 19! He’s grown up a lot since.

My first ex and I were 19 and 16 when we got married (we were married for four years). He has since abandoned our two daughters, and since I have the philosophy that no one f*cks with my kids, he committed a major dirty in my book. There’s absolutely no hope for another round on that one, even on bended knees, carrying his head on a silver platter.

My second ex and I managed to salvage our relationship, although it changed a great deal in the two years after we split. Where I once felt absolutely passionately towards him, I now view him in a good friend/brother light. About six years after we split, I moved across the country, and he later followed (long story to that one,but it included him going into rehab.) The original split was about 10 years ago, and I recently stood as his “best man” at his wedding. He and his new wife are fantastic people (he really lucked out with her–she’s great) and they live about 25 minutes from us, and we see them about once a month and major holidays. I told my ex (#2) that if he and Cathie (his new wife) ever split, and we’re forced to choose between them, we’ll really miss him. He thought I was kidding.

But, as far as ever reuniting with him (ex #2)? I couldn’t see myself with him again–not because of our prior relationship, but simply because we’ve both changed so much.

After we’d been together for about 3 years, most of it long distance, things were sort of starting to stagnate - we weren’t spending much time together anymore and the time we did was kind of bland, and so we broke up. After about 4 months of being apart, we missed each other desperately and got back together, vowing we would never take each other for granted again. 5 years later, we’re still together, are engaged, and appreciate each other every single day.

My husband and I had a “thing” that lasted about a year and a half, then he confessed to his girlfriend that he had been seeing me. He stayed with her out of guilt, and eventually married her. That lasted about a year. She left him, he looked me up, and we’ve been together over 16 years. He was also my brother-in-law before that.

Fairly boring - had dated this girl my junior year of high school, broke up at the beginning of senior year but remained friends. During Thanksgiving break my sophomore year of college we hooked up. After some discussions back and forth during December while we’re both at our respective schools, we decide that it wouldn’t really be a good idea to get back together, but we are still attracted to each other and as long as we’re both single it wouldn’t hurt to do some snogging when we happen to both be in town. Much groping occurs during Christmas and spring breaks, then she starts dating her future ex-husband and we return to being “just friends”, which we still are.

I got back together with an ex once. It was definitely a mistake - I should never have gone out with the guy that long. He was an asshole. When he dumped me the first time, he said it was because he loved me and wanted to marry me, but he first wanted to date other girls “just to make sure.” I convinced him that we should go out again (to this day, I can’t imagine why), and we did. But not for long. He dumped me again for the same reason.

And I now realize that I wanted him back mostly because of hurt pride. I had been upset with the relationship for a long time - he dictated what I ate (he thought that eating too much fat would give me cancer, so he limited me to 5 grams per meal - most meals were plain pasta, no sauce), when we’d have sex (once on Wednesday and maybe again on Saturday) and what I wore. I have no idea why the hell I was dumb enough to go out with him so long, but I was pissed when he dumped me because (1) he did it over the phone while I was at my mom’s house and (2) I wanted to dump him this time, not the other way around.

It definitely worked out for the best - I’m getting married to the love of my life in April. It’s funny - this guy who dumped me had the nerve to e-mail me a few months ago because he heard I was getting married, and wanted to make sure it was serious, to tell me that he now realized that I was, in fact, “the one” for him, and did I want to move to New York and be with him instead. Jackass. I guess he couldn’t find another girl willing to go along with his ridiculous limitations, so he defaulted to me.

I was off-and-on with my ex for 8 years. Big fat waste of my time, that was. I knew it was finally over for good when, in the midst of begging me to take him back, he looked up at me through his tears and said (and I quote), “When we do get back together, we are going to start having threesomes.”

Well, my most recent ex-boyfriend and I broke up for good in September. In June or July (I’m bad with dates) he pretty much told me that he just wanted to be friends, and although we weren’t officially “broken up” he didn’t act like we were together. Well being the angst-ridden emotional teenager that I was during that time, I begged him back. Well in September I finally saw the light. This dude’s just not right for me. So I ended it, but the tables had switched - he tried to beg me back but I wouldn’t have it. Sorry but he just hurt me way too badly.

So that’s my experience. I’m more about the “if you broke up its probably for a good reason” state of mind. And by the way, I’m still friends with both of my other ex-boyfriends. One moved far out of state and was recently back for Xmas, and I hung out with him a couple of times, it was nice to see him again. No pressure or anything like that, we both are seeing other people! And another one of my ex-boyfriends is good friends with my current boyfriend, so we talk quite often!