Have you ever had one media work (movie, tv show, song, etc) ruined by another media work?

Well, maybe not “ruined”, as such, but made less effective.

Turner Classic Movies is running a “31 Days of Oscar” festival where they play past Oscar nominees back to back to back, etc. Last night, “The Way We Were” was on and we sat and watched it.

TWWW is a very good movie, and I’m sure I would have been misty-eyed at the end…if every time the title song swelled in the background I weren’t having Lisa Loopner (Gilda Radner’s nerdy tween-girl character) melodramatically singing the words while sobbing hysterically.

There’s a lot of classical music that I would probably recognize as powerful and beautiful if my first introduction to it had not been in a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

It is hard to watch “Wizard of Oz” after reading “Wicked”.

Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah is a powerful song. Then they had to put it in every movie ever made. At some point you would think the producers would say “This was in Shrek? Maybe we should find something else.”

AND IIIIIIIIII will always love YYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU. A perfectly good Dolly Parton song ruined by The Bodyguard.

Think about the poor people who can’t hear a lot of classical music without mentally sequeing to the next part of “Hooked on Classics.”

6 posts in and no one mentioned Starship Troopers yet. I figured it would have made the first 3.

How can anyone at Bayreuth hear “Ride of the Valkyries” WITHOUT singing “Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit…”?

OTOH, the use of the music in Bugs Bunny made it all the more interesting when I heard it played by an orchestra.

or ‘Vikings and Beekeepers, Vikings and BEEkeepers…!’

Thank you, Second City! :stuck_out_tongue:

I wouldn’t say it was ruined, but the first time I saw Excalibur, I was hard pressed not to MST it with Holy Grail quotes.

I was happy to read the book after seeing the first film “adaptation”. After seeing the third though, I might not be able to re-read it.

Hmm, I wished I had never seen the The Wall in movie form, ruined most of the album for me, just not as good as it took away my own thoughts and theories and put a different twist on them.

I can’t hear Orloff’s “O Fortuna” in a movie, TV show. or commercial without thinking how much more effective it was in “Excalibur.”

You’re an intellectual snob if you can listen to the William Tell Overture and not immediately think of the Lone Ranger.

A snob indeed, because opera companies almost NEVER stage Rossini’s “William Tell” any more. So, even an ardent opera fan has probably never seen “William Tell” or heard any part of it except the Overture.

And even that ardent opera fan only knows the Overture because of the Lone Ranger.

The movie version of Sphere fucked it up so badly I have bad memories of the book now, which was one of my all-time favorites.

I heard it performed by the Philadelphia Orchestra not too many years ago. It’s still played as an orchestral piece.

And, as time goes by, fewer and fewer people even know the Lone Ranger to associate it. The only reason why that ardent opera fan only knows of it as the Lone Ranger theme is that opera fans are old.

I deeply enjoyed reading Lee Goldberg’s novel, Mr. Monk and the Two Assistants. This book documented the first time that Adrian Monk’s assistant, Natalie Teeger, met her predecessor Sharona Fleming.

Unfortunately, this story conflicted with the subsequent TV episode in which Natalie met Sharona on screen.

Hmm…

I would say that the latter two Matrix movies ruined the original, and likewise for the third LotR movie, but that’s a special case.