Have you ever posted a deliberate lie on a SDMB?

Possibly in game or joke threads, or threads specifically stating some odd number of truths and a lie, but not in general back and forth discussion or opinion threads. What would be the point?

I don’t recall participating in a game or joke thread where lying would be necessary, but it’s possible that I have. Bad memory, don’tcha know.

I can think of anecdotes that I’ve exaggerated for effect (I’m a writer at heart, and I won’t settle for reality when a tweak of the ending will improve my story), but never on a pole, or in a thread where my lie would effect the outcome of the thread. I chose ‘yes’ because of that, and because it’s very possible I *have *lied point blank on here. I’m not always sober when I post, after all.

Did you post this just so you could answer Yes to the poll?

Regards,
Shodan

I’m not really a bike riding dude from the midwest now living in Canada. I’m a woman who’s 6’10" and living in the mountains of Peru and I can’t ride a bicycle. I have an Olympic gold medal in ski jumping despite the fact that I only have one foot (the other is a prosthetic I made myself from a sneaker and copper that I melted down from old discarded computer parts). I was born with a tail. Doctors removed it shortly after my birth, but I have phantom pains as a result, so my butt hurts (which is why I can’t ride a bicycle).

:: sigh ::

It feels so good to finally come clean.

Yup. Mafia games. I particularly liked my web of lies in Evil Dead, where I was town.

What makes a person lie about having a Honda Accord station wagon?

Chicks dig Hondas?

On the boards, yes, for the same reason Bricker gives.

Off the boards, in private emails with some Dopers back around 2001, I was not completely honest, primarily in lying about my real name. I regret that.

Words to live by.

Not only did I lie, but someone believed the lie and repeated it on another board. Not everyone who read it believed it, but some did, and it took quite a journey around the net before it lost steam.

Sometimes when I post something relating to my own life, I will obfuscate some minor details in order to help protect my anonymity.

Similarly, I have lied many times during the many Mafia games I’ve played here, especially the two games in which I was scum.

No need. The subject of my height has never come up.

Just this one.