Have you ever posted a deliberate lie on a SDMB?

No - it would be way too easy to be caught out in this august company.

The same thing goes for exaggeration - I have to be really careful because I am someone deeply interested in lots of different things who doesn’t have the time to pursue them much beyond the Very Short Introduction/University 101 stage. Around here, I’m constantly reminded of something that happened to Penn Gilette when he first got hooked on watching shuttle launches.

This is not the place to pretend you’re any smarter/cooler/more talented than you really are. I also find that people are way more encouraging to the enthusiast who is trying to the best of their ability than to the poseur who tries to make a little sound like a lot.

No. I’m an awful liar. Totally against my nature.

I bet I have but I honestly don’t remember now. Don’t hold it against me please?

No. I’ve never been Scum on here, or else that would have been a yes.

I have never posted a single lie on this message board.

what sexual practices are you suspicious of?

So, how many then? :stuck_out_tongue:

I have changed names, dates, and hometowns to protect the innocent, the guilty, and me.

I ALWAYS pretend I’m smarter, cooler, and more talented. Also taller.

No. Everything I say here is the honest truth; I think of this place of a real community with real people, not some faceless anonymous thing. And I’m not the kind of person who needs to lie in order to say something interesting.

Hmmm…I’ve altered details on the remote chance that someone that I know is reading and could identify me based on the incident I’m posting about. I’m paranoid like that.

I would argue that I’ve never posted a significant lie, but I have fudged details in anecdotes, and I’ve participated in Two Truths and a Lie threads before.

So I marked yes, but believe my lies don’t count and would not hold similar lies against someone else.

I try to be honest, or say nothing at all. I don’t recall any deliberate lies I’ve posted here, or anywhere on the net, for that matter. Though, I do regret some things I’ve said in the past.

Is it true now?

I was going to say no, but I guess I did that one time. I apologized later, though.

Everything else was either a mistake, how I felt at the time, or a slight exaggeration to avoid having to explain something completely.

All of those above I would have done in real life, and I seriously doubt there is anyone who hasn’t. Unless you are a completely non-private person, you have to sometimes not give details.

I seem to recall Bricker saying he was supporting Obama in a thread last fall. Turned out he was jerking our chain. Two truths and lie indeed.

I said people were blinded by my beauty, they don’t actually go blind

:slight_smile:

I am a very good liar and have had to lie far too many times for my liking, and thus I do my very damndest never to lie these days. As far as I know, I have never posted a deliberate lie on the Dope, unless it was for a joke or to obfuscate identities.

I’ve never lied that I can remember, although I’m sure I’ve omitted details for the sake of brevity, or possibly referred to my step-sister as my sister.

Funny how everyone’s overlooking the admission of sexual practices so unusual that the OP doubts their veracity. I’m curious, too. FTR, I’m quite confident that I’ve never lied on the Dope about my sexual practices. Except that my signature isn’t really true.

My sexual posts are the very things I never lie about. Well, other than the identities of the people. Because you guys say my bf and I are too mushy on here so I pretend I don’t know him now . . .