Have you ever said a prayer before you eat or sleep?

Yes, because… …I was raised by hypocrites who figured that was the sort of nonsense you supposed to tell your kids.

My siblings and I let go of the concept of Nobodaddy at approximately the same time as that of Santa Claus, and maybe a year or so before we relaxed about The Boogeyman. Certainly we had all of that bollocks sorted before we started primary school.

No. My family wasn’t religious at all. Even when I went through a phase of going to church with a friend of my mom’s, I was never particularly faithful , and I can’t remember ever actually praying (I went because it was story time with songs and a prize at the end). I don’t think I’ve ever prayed in my life. When my great grandmother would say a blessing at holiday meals, I would usually just sit there wondering why we couldn’t just eat (especially on Christmas, when it was a dreadful, terrible, oppressive delay before the giving of gifts after the meal). When I’m in a situation where group prayer is expected, I sit or stand (as the case may be) silently.

I pray every night before bed and have most of my life. Even if there’s no one on the other end of the line, a lot of it is thinking about things I need to work on as a person. If someone else is giving me a hand with my goals, all the better.

OTOH, I’ve never said grace before a meal in my own home, only in other people’s houses at their instigation.

Yes, I was raised Catholic.

Yes, because I am a practicing Catholic.

This is the best explanation I have (or ever expect to) ever heard for the practice of prayer. It makes it seem like something that’s utterly rational, and not psychotic at all.

I say kiddush at home on Friday nights and on holiday eves, but not on a daily basis.

I’m a baha’i, and we have to say one of three players daily, called “obligatory prayers”, it helps me remember to do it before a meal, but you are allowed to do them anytime. Since I grew up as a Christian and we said “grace”, it’s a good reminder to do it before a meal.

Yea! Finally you have said something positive about religion! You say that you are raised religious, so that implies that your family is religious and you are not, which means that, even though you disagree with Christianity, you still love your religious family, as family members often give each other unconditional love and support. I doubt anyone wants to isolate himself or herself from one’s family. :smiley:

I have never.

Yes.

I was raised religious from the start, so the complicated brachot system is second-nature to me. I imagine an outsider would find it extremly confusing.

Quite a few people choose to cut off contact with their families.

My parents are not religious but they were very open to me experiencing religion. During my childhood I attended various religious services with friends and other family and experimented with prayer. My current status is respectful of the beliefs of others when it’s appropriate so I will bow my head and remain silent if someone else wants to pray.

In reality it almost never occurs. I find that religion in Canada is less forceful than in other places I hear about. I know from conversations that several of my coworkers are observant and devout in their religious practices but without our “what did you do on the weekend” conversations it would never come up. Our company also provides rest and prayer rooms that can be booked the same way as meeting rooms to allow for privacy.

Yes. We did it all the time when I was a child, because my mother was a terrible cook.

Raised atheist so never as a child except while adapting to the customs of other families, became a Zen Buddhist in my twenties so said Buddhist prayers (“now we open our eating bowls, may all be free of self-clinging”), converted to Catholicism in my thirties so now I pray at bedtime (I actually find that mealy-mouth rockabye Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep pretty much sums it up for me), over meals – though I often forget if I’m alone-- and sometimes remember to pray an abbreviated Lauds upon rising.

Went to YMCA camp as a teen where we sang grace. Other then that no.

I’m the I don’t know. I may have as a kid, apparently I went to Sunday School for a year or two even though my parents are devout atheists. Seems I liked it and they just let me go until I grew sick of it.

As an adult I shared a house with, among others, a Catholic couple who said grace at meal times. I never sat at the table until after it had been said. But maybe they caught me out the first time?

Other than that, no chance.

In all honesty, I had to say yes because when I was a kid and didn’t know any better, I did that. Once I found out that religion is a lie, I quit. And I don’t participate when others do it before meals.

I voted “No,” because while I was instructed at various times to utter a prayer … I wasn’t praying; I was just repeating words.

“Now I lay me down to sleep … bum ba-bum, ba-bum, ba-bum …” If there wasn’t a meter to them, I doubt I’d even have remembered them at all.

No. I’m not religious, neither is my family and neither is anyone I’ve eaten with.